Ernie Martinez Update

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Hello all,

I just left Ernie's shop and, unfortunately, it appears he has gone "walk-about" again :(. I'm only mentioning this at this early stage of not really knowing, to discourage anyone from sending deposits for new cues until things clarify. His permanent status is still unknown at this time. I will post an update if I learn of things changing, but for now I suggest to hold off.

For those who have been trying to get a hold of him and not having success, this is why.

Dave

P.S. I'm not affiliated with Ernie Martinez Cues, just reporting its status.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dave, I am not worried much about the deposit that I sent but would appreciate hearing any future updates on Ernie. I admire his talent and the fact that so many people like him. My missing out on purchasing one of Ernie's cue's is a minor bump in the road and one that I regret.

I hope if Ernie needs any help he will remember that he has many friends, especially in the pool world.

Thank you for keeping us informed. I wish Ernie safe passage wherever he goes, in whatever he does and hope that he will return to us when he is able.

Warm Regards,
JoeyA

12squared said:
Hello all,

I just left Ernie's shop and, unfortunately, it appears he has gone "walk-about" again :(. I'm only mentioning this at this early stage of not really knowing, to discourage anyone from sending deposits for new cues until things clarify. His permanent status is still unknown at this time. I will post an update if I learn of things changing, but for now I suggest to hold off.

For those who have been trying to get a hold of him and not having success, this is why.

Dave

P.S. I'm not affiliated with Ernie Martinez Cues, just reporting its status.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well,

Dave was most gentle in his post about the disappearance of Ernie Martinez. At the descretion of his family I will not add any further information except to say that it is highly unlikely at this time that Ernie will return to cuemaking. He, unfortunately left many including Dave and myself, "holding the bag". I am left with two partially completed cues that I have no idea what I am going to do with. It really is a shame since he had a great deal of talent and had an opportunity to make something for himself. I can't help but like Ernie, even though he did me wrong. I truly hope that things work out for him.

Joey, if you have made a deposit and can prove it, I would suggest calling Ernie's shop and leaving a message for his mother, she is attempting to "make things right" by doing what she can to rectify the matter. This woman deserves credit for going beyond the call of duty.

303-287-1660 (ask for Bernice)

Regards,

Doug

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Guys, I am really saddened to hear this news. Ernie is a great talent and many of us miss him and his wonderful work. Thanks for letting folks know, though.

Sean

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I met Ernie back in 1989 or 90, he was a quiet and humble guy that would knock your d**k in the dirt on a pool table. I too had an opportunity to buy one of his cues from John Wright, but missed the chance and regret it.

I sincerely hope that Ernie can get his life back together and can pick up cue making again.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
I think anyone who has had the pleasure to meet or talk with Ernie all feel the same way about him, as a person and as a VERY talented cue maker. He is the nicest guy to talk with. He is so engaging, great smile, humble and incredibly knowledgeable about cues and machinery. I, for one, will miss our conversations (even though they were not often). I hope he'll return for good.

JoeyA, Sean and the others, thanks for your wishes. If I talk to Ernie I will pass them on.

Let's keep our fingers crossed,

Dave

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hi Charlie,

I don't blame you for your dissatisfaction. I had two cues on order with Ernie and was lucky that Ernie's mother handed over my two partially completed cues. She promised to reimburse other people their deposit, but at the time I felt more comfortable making sure that I got at least something for my investment. As you can see in the "ask the cuemaker" section, I am already trying to find someone to help me make these cues whole. This has been nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with and needless to say, I'm not too happy with the situation.

Ernie's mother promised me that she would try and get the necessary ringwork for two of the shafts, but after a week of trying to get through to her, none of my calls have been returned. I have no idea whether any of the others ever had any money returned to them. 12squared is one of those people, you might ask him if he is still in contact.

It is my understanding that unless a miracle happens and Ernie returns, the shop equipment will be sold within a month.

Best of luck ,
Doug

Charlie Edwards said:
Are there any up-dates on Ernie Martinez? I paid-in-full for a new cue I ordered as a gift for my daughter in-law. Over a week ago I talked to his mother and she promised to send me a cashiers check the following day. That was at least 10 days ago, and now no one answers their phone. If anyone has any contact with them, please let them know I want to hear from one of them. If I don't get my money back very soon, I will take this to another level. I've already talked to the DA's office and they agreed there could be a case made for fraud and theft.

Any information and help will be appreciated. I'm just not in the mood to lose that much money. Not without a fight.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Charlie Edwards said:
What happened to Ernie? I don't really care, but I'm curious. He and his mother may be great people but from an outsider looking in, they look like crooks to me. His mother said my check was the only one lately that was deposited. All the other buyers checks weren't deposited and would be returned. She said she owned the equipment and that the business was hers, and she was responsible for my money. She sounded honest, but now I am beginning to wonder. All she told me was that Ernie stopped showing up. If anyone knows what happened to him, they should post it here. When he treated me and his other customers the way he did, he needs to be exposed.

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to hear about your problems with Ernie.

I understand how you feel, but I assure you, Ernie is not a crook-just periodically succumbs to outside forces beyond his control. Ernie's Mom is determined to make things right and had assured me that everyone will get their money back, but to do this equipment must be sold first. Last time I talked with her she said she might have a buyer within 2 weeks. Until then, there's no money to reimburse anyone, including me. Please be patient.

Again, Ernie's Mom didn't have to contact anyone since it was not her problem. But she did. She may have loaned Ernie the money to get started again (not even sure about that) but she is not involved with the business other than that. I believe she has very good intentions to make things right. If you don't hear from her in about 10 days, I would try to contact her again. If you are not satisfied with the progress she's making at that time, do what you have to do. But I would be patient a little longer-it's your call. Please know that you are not alone and I do believe her when she says she will make it right.

Either way it's a sad story. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further or if you want to make sure Ernie's Mom gets a message from you, but please wait a short while and let her try to get the money together to send you.

Dave

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yep, the lies continue. Good luck pursuing it. They should be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, you may have to pursue Ernie, I'm not sure that you have any recourse against the mother? Ernie may be next to impossible to get in touch with. Hell, even his mother does not know how to track him down.

Best of luck,

Doug

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Charlie Edwards said:
Dave, the story she gave me was different, she said my money wasn't used and was sitting in her bank, and she promised to mail a cashiers check to me the next day, without fail. I do appreciate you giving her a message. I talked to the Adam county and Denver county DA's office today and they agreed to except felony theft charges. If it goes to trial, they will even pay my expences to Colorado. If I don't get my money back within 10 days from today, she and Ernie can be assured I WILL file the charges. That's a promise. In addition, I may file a federal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. And it may not stop there. I am dead serious about this thing.

BTW, today I talked to someone there that knows Ernie very well, and they explained to me just how Ernie's life was not short of being a train wreck.
I just don't know how that should be my problem.

Thanks again,

Charlie Edwards

Charlie, just so you know I left a voice message on Bernice's cell phone about this email you posted. I didn't have a phone number to leave her so I referred to the messages you have left previously. If you want me to pass on your number to make sure she has a chance to reply, you can PM me & I will be happy to pass that on as well.

You're right, Ernie's problems should not be your problems. And I feel really bad for you since it was a very thoughtful gift for your daughter-in-law. I wish I married into your family :). I still feel Bernice is trying to make things right.

DAve

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Charlie,

For what it's worth I also left Bernice a message telling her of your concerns. Hope it works out. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Doug

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad to hear that Charlie!

I hope Ernie can get back on track. It is a shame to lose that talent.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Charlie Edwards said:
Today I received a full refund for a cue I ordered and completely paid for, and that would never have been delivered. A money order was sent by Ernie Martinez's mother, Bernice. She has my thanks. I am glad this matter has been rightfully concluded.

Yay! I'm happy for you. I Still want to marry into your family, though :eek:.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's great news Charlie. I hope Bernice gets in touch with me. I would still like the unfinished plain jane Weng cue that Ernie had almost completed. If any of you talk to her I would appreciate you communicating that. Ernie said he had about three plain Jane cues one of them with Weng Wood and I hope i can still get that one.

Thanks,
JoeyA (the Dreamer)

Charlie Edwards said:
Today I received a full refund for a cue I ordered and completely paid for, and that would never have been delivered. A money order was sent by Ernie Martinez's mother, Bernice. She has my thanks. I am glad this matter has been rightfully concluded.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey Joey,

I know which cue you are talking about. Ernie originally told me that it was made for a cousin of his. It must be the same cue, because there were no other cues made besides my two and two others whose owners I know. You're cue was near completetion as far as I know, but was never done. In all likely hood you will never see it. I would suggest getting Bernice to reimburse you for any money down.

Regards,

Doug

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
Charlie Edwards said:
LOL. If you ever do, I'll give you my Schick, or Hercek. Or had you rather have a Josswest? hehe

Dealer's choice.....Dad. They all sound good to me :).

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a sad situation for all his customers.what happened to the guy drugs,breakdown ?

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
cuejoey said:
What a sad situation for all his customers.what happened to the guy drugs,breakdown ?

We are all concerned as to what happened, but the fact is noboby knows for sure. I, for one, do not want to speculate or start false rumors about what may or may not have happened to Ernie so let's please leave it at that. He is such a great talent that I (we) all hope he returns to cue making one day.

The only reason I started this post was to suggest to those that were planning on ordering cues from Ernie, or were planning on sending a deposit, to hold off. I hope that's OK? Just trying to protect my fellow AZ's.

Dave

JoeyA

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ernie's Mom is one classy lady. I received my downpayment back from her one minute ago after posting another response. She never returned my phone call but I can understand this. I doubt that there is any greater pain than what our children are able to inflict upon us. I have learned that a Mother's love is unconditional and perennial. God bless all of the moms out there.
Warm Regards,
JoeyA (still would like to have the WENG Cue no matter what shape it is in.

Charlie Edwards said: