what "PRO" has the best (most consistent) power-break ?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Hello all in AZ,

I figured I would ask my first question since a few of you know something about me now.

I know from a strategy standpoint that there are times you want the balls on the table clustered or against rails. This is only about power-breaks. I don't want to get into the speed vs. power issue,... I just want to know who YOU think is the best PRO power-breaker in 9-Ball / 10-Ball and why.

An example would be the opening break in a match. Also, the hill game in a match. Let's throw in a must: An opening break off of an opponents mistake when you are down 2+ games. In these instances a pro wants a good scatter, cue-ball in center of table, and obviously at least one ball potted.
I know this has been asked before and is highly subjective, but I can't help ignore the positive aspects of a good break. I read, (and believe) the break is 1/3 of your game. Let's face it: without a good break, you are going nowhere but back to your chair.

You can select PRO's from the past, or who are currently killing the rock, just indicate when

Thanks for your input ! :)

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
Hello all in AZ,

I figured I would ask my first question since a few of you know something about me now.

I know from a strategy standpoint that there are times you want the balls on the table clustered or against rails. This is only about power-breaks. I don't want to get into the speed vs. power issue,... I just want to know who YOU think is the best PRO power-breaker in 9-Ball / 10-Ball and why.

An example would be the opening break in a match. Also, the hill game in a match. Let's throw in a must: An opening break off of an opponents mistake when you are down 2+ games. In these instances a pro wants a good scatter, cue-ball in center of table, and obviously at least one ball potted.
I know this has been asked before and is highly subjective, but I can't help ignore the positive aspects of a good break. I read, (and believe) the break is 1/3 of your game. Let's face it: without a good break, you are going nowhere but back to your chair.

You can select PRO's from the past, or who are currently killing the rock, just indicate when

Thanks for your input ! :)

SVB, 'nuff said.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
In tournament play I would have to say Mike Dechaine ranks right up there... To my knowledge he seems to always be the most likely of posting the highest packages at the pro level.....

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought most people agreed long ago that SVB had the break every pro dreams of. Again today Archer and Daulton drooled about how amazing SVB's break is while stream commentating.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Thought most people agreed long ago that SVB had the break every pro dreams of. Again today Archer and Daulton drooled about how amazing SVB's break is while stream commentating.

Buy a breakrak if you wan't a break like Shane has, that's how he got his break. Nuff said :wink:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
currently

In tournament play I would have to say Mike Dechaine ranks right up there... To my knowledge he seems to always be the most likely of posting the highest packages at the pro level.....

Yea, I gotta say Dechaine has been strong recently.He has a very strong power break.
I admire SVB(and his break) tremedously,..... although has he been consistent enough lately? Some of you just posted names; I'm looking for names, when and why.
Bustamente (sp?) always impressed me, when down in the match.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Buy a breakrak if you wan't a break like Shane has, that's how he got his break. Nuff said :wink:

Breakrak is old technology.... I may have the Breaksmith proto with me at the Open... Still working on getting the price down to where everyone can have one.... Nuff said ;)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Yea, I gotta say Dechaine has been strong recently.He has a very strong power break.
I admire SVB(and his break) tremedously,..... although has he been consistent enough lately? Some of you just posted names; I'm looking for names, when and why.
Bustamente (sp?) always impressed me, when down in the match.

In the SVB/Archer match up on TAR... Johnny took Shane's break and pretty much abused Shane with it... He was pretty much hitting Shane's break better than Shane for the duration... So I think maybe Shane has slipped some....

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the SVB/Archer match up on TAR... Johnny took Shane's break and pretty much abused Shane with it... He was pretty much hitting Shane's break better than Shane for the duration... So I think maybe Shane has slipped some....

Has Shane slipped or is everyone else finally just catching up?

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Do any of the top pro's have a bad break? Maybe except corey playing 10 ball ? All of the top players tend to really hit them square

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Lots of names so far. Not a bad pick on the list.

Let me just state my opinion. The 9-ball break and the 10-ball break are absolutely two separate beasts. SVB has a MONSTER 10-ball break, but I gotta say that his 9-ball break is only a slight notch above the average touring pro. Nevel and Daulton have massive 9-ball breaks, but their 10-ball breaks are on par with SVB's 9-ball breaks. Many others in this same boat. If I had to pick one player that has been fairly successful AND consistent in both breaks, it has been Bustamante, even in his somewhat advancing age (not calling him an old man just yet, just that he's not exactly what you'd call a "young gun" anymore :grin:). Of course this is only how I see it from my perspective, which usually differs from mainstream opinion.

Maniac

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Do any of the top pro's have a bad break? Maybe except corey playing 10 ball ? All of the top players tend to really hit them square

I am not sure you fully understand what I am trying to say. I am not asking/saying who has/has not a good strong break. What I am asking is who has the most consistent power break and can delver(ie: execute) that break consistently when they need to.
Dechaine was mentioned as it is obvious he has a fantastic opening power break. I think he loses that consitency when he needs a power break in mid-match.
I spoke of Bustamente b/c he has a good break, uses a lower spot and english on the CB in order to pot the 1 ball in the side on the break,yet still maintains a good scatter to continue the game. Everytime I have tried this , I've potted the 1 ball in the side;however I have had rails and clusters or jammed myself for the 2 ball. The PRO's make it look sooooo simple, until you try to practice what they routinely do .

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Got my vote

Lots of names so far. Not a bad pick on the list.

Let me just state my opinion. The 9-ball break and the 10-ball break are absolutely two separate beasts. SVB has a MONSTER 10-ball break, but I gotta say that his 9-ball break is only a slight notch above the average touring pro. Nevel and Daulton have massive 9-ball breaks, but their 10-ball breaks are on par with SVB's 9-ball breaks. Many others in this same boat. If I had to pick one player that has been fairly successful AND consistent in both breaks, it has been Bustamante, even in his somewhat advancing age (not calling him an old man just yet, just that he's not exactly what you'd call a "young gun" anymore :grin:). Of course this is only how I see it from my perspective, which usually differs from mainstream opinion.

Maniac

I am in total agreement, however I know there are others and am asking for other AZ'ers observations.

Thank you :smile:

Ill Gotten Gain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I view ten ball as the standard for pro's. That being said, SVB is the standard upon which all others are compared to when it comes to the ten ball break. Smooth, effortless, and efficient.