TSA not allowing cues on planes?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If memory serves me, I think it was year 2013 when I read pool cues were removed from "black list" by TSA. Not so sure about baseball bats though, but do we pool players care? :grin:
There was a proposal a few years back (maybe 2013?) to relax the restrictions but the proposal was overruled somehow. The story I heard was that airline personnel said they didn't want those items in the cabin.

Edit: Here is part of the first announcement from the TSA from the New York Times:

March 5, 2013

The Transportation Security Administration said on Tuesday that it would allow airplane passengers to bring pocketknives, golf clubs and other sports items aboard in carry-on bags, loosening some of the restrictions created after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

The agency said the new rules, which align with international standards, would allow its security agents to “better focus their efforts on finding higher-threat items such as explosives.” Box cutters and razor blades are still prohibited in carry-on bags.

The changes, however, attracted sharp criticism from flight attendant unions. The Flight Attendants Union Coalition, which represents five labor groups and 90,000 people, said the decision was “poor and shortsighted.” ...​
Evidently the flight attendants prevailed. I have donated one pocket knife to the TSA.

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

While you're at it, in your hypothetical world as a pro, just add that TSA allows an exception for YOU. Problem solved.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dardusm, so I was flying out of Newark heading to Reno for a week of skiing in Lake Tahoe. As the jet starts to taxi I look out the window and see my six foot long ski bag being loaded onto another plane. The skis went to Texas. Who the hell skis in Texas? Newark is freakin' famous for stolen luggage.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i used to think the flight attendants were great on helping the customers. then after they voted out cues and sports equipment then i realized they were just out for everything for themselves and nothing for the customers. there is no real threat in the cabin with that stuff.
and what a flight attendant thinks about what they are afraid of is not what should be the final consideration.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

I bought a 3 piece cue just for airline travel. Haven’t had any problems with the playability.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Zero Hallaburton use to make heavy duty metal case, that would work to take Cues in the belly of aircraft. The problem is this area of the aircraft is not climate controled.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If memory serves me, I think it was year 2013 when I read pool cues were removed from "black list" by TSA. Not so sure about baseball bats though, but do we pool players care? :grin:

Cues were removed and were going to be allowed as of a certain date. Before the date arrived they decided not to allow them. I don’t remember exactly how long ago but 2013 us in the ballpark.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get a luggage.....pack your bags and put your cue inside cue case and put cue case inside with luggage.

Very easy.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Yep, the TSA removed pool cues from the list. The flight attendants union protested and the ban was re-instated. See people on flights with Titanium tennis rackets. I've seen some high technology "canes" that might do far more damage than a wood cue. America is not a land where common sense runs true!

Lyn

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Zero Hallaburton use to make heavy duty metal case, that would work to take Cues in the belly of aircraft. The problem is this area of the aircraft is not climate controled.

It is, as it's pressurized. Just not the same as the cabin

The outside temp at 35,000 feet is approximately -65°F, the cargo hold is around 45°F. Pets and temp sensitive cargo, 65°F.

Packing and flight duration will also factor in the actual temp your cue reaches.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes - around that time the TSA proposed new rules that included allowing pool cues to be carried onboard again, but another proposal Included was to allow small knives onboard( I know - WTF. ). There was so much pushback and protest about the knife issue that the TSA deep-sixed the entire proposal, so the rule banning pool cues remained in place.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes - around that time the TSA proposed new rules that included allowing pool cues to be carried onboard again, but another proposal Included was to allow small knives onboard( I know - WTF. ). There was so much pushback and protest about the knife issue that the TSA deep-sixed the entire proposal, so the rule banning pool cues remained in place.

There needs to be an exception if you are a pro player. Like you should have to prove you are a pro player or such and put whatever item you use for your sport in a locking case and then you can bring it on the plane.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Who wants to fly these days? Get a larger bag put it in your luggage.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carry a 5 piece cue , at the level I play it doesn't matter one bit. I spread the pieces out in my carry on bag and tell them they are parts of a chinese lamp I bought.
No one has ever questioned that story which says a lot about TSA employees. hahahahahaha muahahahaha retarded miscreants, demonic sluggards, mindless walking bags of skin with peat moss for brains {can you tell I don't think highly of them?}

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
There needs to be an exception if you are a pro player. Like you should have to prove you are a pro player or such and put whatever item you use for your sport in a locking case and then you can bring it on the plane.

As a professioal jouster, I agree.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
When I flew back from Vegas in 2018, i was alternatively amused/annoyed to see a few other players who brought their cues on the plane...you just never know, i guess

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I have donated one pocket knife to the TSA.

With your temper, I can see why they took it away. :D

The reason sporting equipment is not allowed in the cabin is the shortage of space in the cabin and the overhead bins. There a few vertical lockers that were used for golf clubs but those days are over. The flight attendants have a hard enough job getting people to just sit down without having to find a way to make all of this stuff fit.