Gene "Iron" Mann: Unsung hero of World Tournament of 14.1

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate our own Gene Mann ("BayGene") on such a fine job he did "holding the fort" in the commentator's booth. I watched just about every streamed match, and was also physically there on the final day.

I mean, really, he was there like clockwork, every day, every match, sort of like pool's version of Cal Ripken Jr. In fact, on that final day, although I did get a chance to say hello to Gene, it was only because Gene had gotten up to go to the restroom, and afterwards was right back on his stool, donning the headset and microphone.

I have a new name for you, my friend. Gene "Iron" Mann. Yep, you were definitely an ironman, for sure!

Big-time kudos to Gene for such dedication and a job well done!
-Sean

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched about 10 of the matches. Really just excellent commentary! Gene is always entertaining. Wilkie and Fingers see every pattern on the table. I must say though that Tom Karabatsos and Wilkie were fantastic. Of course Tom sees the patterns quickly but he also added a few nuggets of great info! Especially in regards to breaking clusters, side of the cluster, speed and insurance balls.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the Thanks

It's easy to be an Iron Man when you're at school with the likes of Tom Karabotsos, Fingers Badsteubner, Danny Barouty, Johnny Archer, Sean Wilkie, Geoff Conway and the Guest of Honor, King James Rempe. Thanks to Upstate Al and Upstate Joe for giving me this opportunity and putting me in the best seat in the house.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Great commentary, Gene. I watched the stream off and on when work did not intrude for the entire event. You kept things going smoothly day after day and made sure the other commentators were engaged. Very nice.:thumbup:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
Gene, that was some of the most erudite and witty pool commentary i've ever heard, worthy of succession to the late and lamented George Fels.

a real pleasure to hear you.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Gene was one of many who made the event happen.

Rats. You had to open that pandora's box, Stu? ;) :p :D

But yes, you're right. There was a veritable list of many folks who made this event happen. I won't even pretend to go down a list of all those folks, because I'll surely miss someone, and that'd be a shame.

Suffice to say, I thank EVERYONE who made this event happen!

-Sean <-- feels enriched that he got to go to this event, meet and spend time with (or just say hi to) friends like Stu, Bill Maropulos, Charlie Eames, UpstateAl, Gene, Danny Barouty, etc.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Gene,

From what I hear from all the reviews, it sounds like you did better than me !!!

To boot you got to do a session with Mr Rempe, I envy you for that !!! Jim is one of my all time favorite players. I hope you got to tell him how to correctly run 100s.

Nice job buddy, can't wait for the DVDs

-Steve

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
74th World Championship recording format

I believe this year's will be on flash drive. While waiting for Upstate Al to edit the affair, how about a game, Steve?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I believe this year's will be on flash drive. While waiting for Upstate Al to edit the affair, how about a game, Steve?

very cool Gene, again i cant wait to see and hear all of your brilliant commentary !!!!

lets get togetherr reaal soon, ive played over at Bayshore Billiiards aa few times in the past few weeks. playing on one of there Diamond's, figure if i'm gonna play; diamond table is my best bet right now since i have a years worth of hard pratice to get ready for next year !!!

shoot me a call or a text when you want to hook up and hopefully my crazy wwork scheedule doesnt get in the way !!!

-Steve