Considering Mosconi and Fats....

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
"rich history".......????????? :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
Maybe we can all sit around the living room and listen to Art Linkletter on the radio or telephone grandma "station to station long distance" to save on rates while we bask in some of that rich history of billiards.
In the meantime, the youth of the world (especially those females from Asian countries) are shooting out the lights at the games of 9-Ball and 10-Ball better than all those old dinosaurs ever thought about doing)
"rich history" indeed......:rotflmao1:

You alright?

Have you ever mixed it up with someone until the sun comes up? Lived on the road for any length of time? (Using pool or any other means as support) but traveling around at will, seeing the country, meeting people and seeing cool stuff.

Not all old school players lived that way but there were plenty. I lived on the road and I can only wish I had discovered pool before then, and maybe lived decades ago when it was a little more viable.

I don’t want to get on a ramble but the “history” of pool in our country is definitely rich. Regardless of how those players would match up with today’s...and there are only a handful, at most, of Asian females, or any other females, who could take on the old greats. Only a couple handfuls of men. They were the best of their time and pool hasn’t changed all that much.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You alright?
Have you ever mixed it up with someone until the sun comes up? Lived on the road for any length of time? (Using pool or any other means as support) but traveling around at will, seeing the country, meeting people and seeing cool stuff.
"Have you ever mixed it up with someone until the sun comes up?"<===No, she usually gets bored with me after about 5 minutes and calls a cab or her main squeeze to take her home.
"seeing cool stuff"....??????<<== Too laughable, maybe you should spell it as "kewl"
"seeing cool stuff"?........:rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
Damn, I love this place.:p:killingme:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Lol. So you simple then?

I haven’t paid enough attention to know if you’re another Balls or push and pull.

Btw I juggled a 250 exactly last night...yeah, in 1 minute bro.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All this talk about historical players and “who cares” (though several argued as to why).

None of the former must be exposed to baseball.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rumor was, that during the depression, Brunswick paid Willie $25,000 a year salary, plus expenses. During those years, he was the highest paid athlete on the planet. When Otto played pro football in the years before the NFL, his starting salary was 12K-14K.

Back then Ralph Greenleaf was making $2,000 a week (huge money then) playing the Orpheum circuit giving exhibition from the stage with a huge overhead mirror for the audience.

Lou Figueroa

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. So you simple then?
I haven’t paid enough attention to know if you’re another Balls or push and pull.
Btw I juggled a 250 exactly last night...yeah, in 1 minute bro.
Here's a taste of that "rich history of pool"
Enjoy.
Pool Room Bum with caption.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Oh come on..... Let's talk about the Johnston City Shootout!!!

Wasn't Luther Lassiter walking tall back then?

You'd better believe he was. And Johnston City was a combination of straight pool, nine ball and one pocket. Luther did good. In fact, you can search on Luther Lassiter and Boston Shorty for a little bit of history.

All the best,
WW

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
that worked for a friend!

Most women are not big fans of their men hanging around pool rooms; unless they bring home lots of cash.

A friend of mine would always give half to his wife when he made a decent score at the pool hall. She was the only wife I ever saw that would grab her husband's cue and jacket and help him gently out the front door!

Hu

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Wow what a JackA**

Definitely correct!
Let those dinosaurs stay buried and back off on trying to 'dig them up'. There seems to be a twisted sentimental reverence for these old players which they simply do not deserve.
Time moves on and few people care who robbed so-and-so at Bensingers or who shot down "high rolling Louie" at the big tournament in 1965.

Many of today’s greats learned to play from those dinosaurs. Matter of fact without those so called dinosaurs the game wouldn’t be where it is today. I took a friend to a tournament in Nashville one time and that’s all it took for him to b hooked on pool. You wanna know why? Because watching one of the older players with character and heart. That player was Keith McCready.

All the younger players played their race to 11 with no emotion won or lost and went straight back to their hotel until their next match. Exciting huh? Yeah maybe for you and your type. Anyway McCready and other “old dinosaurs” stayed around and entertained the fans nonstop with action and back and forth banter. I don’t play pool any longer but because of that and the dinosaurs as you call them I still am connected and interested in the game.

By the way I haven’t played in years but like to meet you in a neutral place and play some. Yes I’m a dinosaur come get some jackass. Today is 75th anniversary of D-Day just thinking about those heroes of the past your comments piss me off even more. How someone like you can ridicule players of the past, the players that carried this sport into the future. Players that had heart and played for the love of the game. Any comments about the D-Day dinosaurs?? Jackass. Man I’m pissed. Glad I do t know you because I would be at your front door right now. I hate disrespectful punks.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Many of today’s greats learned to play from those dinosaurs. Matter of fact without those so called dinosaurs the game wouldn’t be where it is today. I took a friend to a tournament in Nashville one time and that’s all it took for him to b hooked on pool. You wanna know why? Because watching one of the older players with character and heart. That player was Keith McCready.

All the younger players played their race to 11 with no emotion won or lost and went straight back to their hotel until their next match. Exciting huh? Yeah maybe for you and your type. Anyway McCready and other “old dinosaurs” stayed around and entertained the fans nonstop with action and back and forth banter. I don’t play pool any longer but because of that and the dinosaurs as you call them I still am connected and interested in the game.

By the way I haven’t played in years but like to meet you in a neutral place and play some. Yes I’m a dinosaur come get some jackass. Today is 75th anniversary of D-Day just thinking about those heroes of the past your comments piss me off even more. How someone like you can ridicule players of the past, the players that carried this sport into the future. Players that had heart and played for the love of the game. Any comments about the D-Day dinosaurs?? Jackass. Man I’m pissed. Glad I do t know you because I would be at your front door right now. I hate disrespectful punks.

Those making stupid jokes about Lassiter and his contingent, probably bash Babe Ruth, Bobby Hull and the golfing greats before Arnold Palmer. Those types of people enjoy being negative more than seeing life in a positive manner. They feed off of causing ''discord''. The best response to that behavior, is NONE.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you can compare the heroic guys who stormed those beaches in Normandy to the dinosaurs from the game of pool has got to be one of the greater mysteries of convoluted logic. (of course that would be normal for those who voted for Al Franken).
I certainly agree with your sentence of: "Matter of fact without those so called dinosaurs the game wouldn’t be where it is today."...they set a crummy standard for the game with a stigma that still remains, although it is fading away thankfully.
Time moves on, new generations come along, and some day the game of pool will be rid of stuff like the stuff that is glorified in the movie below. Have a nice day.
Pool Room Bum with caption.jpg

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once saw an interview Willie was doing with Howard Cosell. Willie was asked if Fats popularity affected him. Willie said no. He said Fats was a showman , I'm a " CHAMPION ".

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I almost thought his post was a joke lol, but maybe he’s serious. Yea, I was...:shrug:

There’s nothing wrong with playing in a league but don’t fool yourself into thinking that’s all Pool is about.

At this point in time, what is prospering?
Professionals going to tournaments or amateurs playing in leagues?
All the pros will easily tell you that leagues are taking over.
What are all those just-for-fun amateurs from leagues saying about the pros? Answer: "Who the f**k are they or who cares?" LOL
That's the state of pool, right now. You don't believe me? Go to a league pool team and they'll tell you what's up. Sure, you'll get those who will say the simple "Minnesota Fats", "Jeanette "Black Widow" Lee" or some other pool player. BUT, you will never hear them talk about who Efren Reyes is, Alex Pagulayan, Shane Van Boening, Tony Ellin, Shaun Putnam, Mike Sigel, Varner, Archer, etc...

You ask an amateur right now who the new 14.1 record breaker is and they'll be giving you that blank stare, making you look like a fool. If anybody who is 40 yrs old and younger tells you about what's going on in pool, THEY'RE IN THAT WORLD, amongst the rest of us! THAT is rare.