(FAQ) How do you use the tangent line?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
That's the thing Rick. It's literally impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you based on your history.

Ever hear of the story, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

Actually, he's more like the story of the Scorpion and the Frog. He can't help it. He's a scorpion.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Howdy folks -

Here's some good advice to help new players use real-world physics to control what they can do with the cue ball (from my book, "FAQs of Pool").

http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-use-tangent-line/

It's a good idea to share stuff l like this with them. We all need to ensure good competitors in the future!!! :lovies:

Good luck - shoot straight

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My 6th or 7th attempt to get the Gossip Group out of the Power Room.

If one would note, I made no criticism of Mr. Sands post.

I mentioned a small nit to another poster regarding the use of momentum & leaving out spin 'momentum' when he was talking about straight on shots regarding the 'tangent line'.

To the secondary topic that got the Gossip Group going...

I will add that in all of my 50 years of playing the game, I have never seen anyone make a peace sign over or near an object ball & I have seen rather many very good players during that time.

Also... It appears to me that Master Instructor Fran Crimi is also not an advocate of making peace signs over object balls . If one actually needs to do that, then, as I think she may have also said, one just needs to play more.

But if one actually needs that at this time in their development...

since everyone's finger spread angle is different & if the line is so crucial that it must be 'gauged' then perhaps everyone should buy an exact 30* template to use for that purpose, because an approximation will not be enough if there is an actual need to gauge that angle.

The thing is that if one actually needs to gauge that angle, then I would not have much confidence that they could hit the cue ball as needed to get that actual outcome angle.

Hence... they would need to play more.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

PS Will this now get the Gossip Group's Panties in a wad that must again be picked out with more Gossip? I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I mentioned a small nit to another poster regarding the use of momentum & leaving out spin 'momentum' when he was talking about straight on shots regarding the 'tangent line'.

I will add that in all of my 50 years of playing the game, I have never seen anyone make a peace sign over or near an object ball & I have seen rather many very good players during that time.

Also... It appears to me that Master Instructor Fran Crimi is also not an advocate of making peace signs over object balls . If one actually needs to do that, then, as I think she may have also said, one just needs to play more.

since everyone's finger spread angle is different & if the line is so crucial that it must be 'gauged' then perhaps everyone should buy an exact 30* template to use for that purpose, because an approximation will not be enough if there is an actual need to gauge that angle.

The thing is that if one actually needs to gauge that angle I would not have much confidence that they could hit the cue ball as needed to get that actual outcome angle.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

PS Will this now get the Gossip Group's Panties in a wad that must again be picked out with more Gossip? I guess we'll see.

Have you ever been diagnosed with having Narcissistic Personality Disorder? You have a few of the textbook signs.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The thing is that if one actually needs to gauge that angle I would not have much confidence that they could hit the cue ball as needed to get that actual outcome angle.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

If we were being PURELY objective. Which has more weight, you sighting 1 master instructor, or someone else sighting 1 master and 5 regular?

Also have you ever seen someone make a peace sign that looked significantly larger or smaller than someone else (the angle)?

When presenting a rule of thumb that is taken as gospel, is that the fault of the presenter or a lack of common sense by the viewer?

Lastly, is there a huge difference of +/- 2 to 3 degrees in the eyes of new player, and won't experience, as you say, allow them to correct for this? It is after all, a rule of thumb. It could be argued that it is a rule of index and middle finger I guess.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Maybe the peace sign is the new Fosbury Flop in pool.

Peace out brother.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The thing is that if one actually needs to gauge that angle, then I would not have much confidence that they could hit the cue ball as needed to get that actual outcome angle.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
If we were being PURELY objective. Which has more weight, you sighting 1 master instructor, or someone else sighting 1 master and 5 regular?

Also have you ever seen someone make a peace sign that looked significantly larger or smaller than someone else (the angle)?

When presenting a rule of thumb that is taken as gospel, is that the fault of the presenter or a lack of common sense by the viewer?

Lastly, is there a huge difference of +/- 2 to 3 degrees in the eyes of new player, and won't experience, as you say, allow them to correct for this? It is after all, a rule of thumb. It could be argued that it is a rule of index and middle finger I guess.

My own peace sign is more than 30*.

Perhaps you should do your own experiments & get your own answers.

As I said... if one needs to use a peace sign to TRY to determine how the cue ball will come out of the collision then they are probably not capable of moving the cue ball in the manner to get that exact outcome & hence they should probably play more... in order to garner more real life 'Feel'.

The bottom line is that you & everyone should do whatever & however you wish to exercise your own free will.

By the way, I liked & agreed with most of your stroke comments in that earlier post of yours.

All Best Wishes for YOU, Yours... & ALL.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member

Perhaps you should do your own experiments & get your own answers.

As I said... if one needs to use a peace sign to TRY to determine how the cue ball will come out of the collision then they are probably not capable of moving the cue ball in the manner to get that exact outcome & hence they should probably play more... in order to garner more real life 'Feel'.

The bottom line is that you & everyone should do whatever & however you wish to exercise your own free will.

By the way, I liked & agreed with most of your stroke comments in that earlier post of yours.

All Best Wishes for YOU, Yours... & ALL.

And my first question?

Along with my other questions?

You are saying everyone should go out and make their own determinations. Is anyone saying we shouldn't?

dfordham

Registered
Have you ever been diagnosed with having Narcissistic Personality Disorder? You have a few of the textbook signs.

You're not kidding! According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling."

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling."

Nope. He's far from a Narcissist. I do think, though, that he tends to fight battles that can't be won against those who are.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you or anybody else wants to check or calibrate their peace sign and practice with how much you need to vary the angle for better accuracy over the 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 ball-hit-fraction range, the following template (which one can print) might be helpful:

30-degree rule peace-sign angle template

This can help one better apply the useful 30-degree rule.

Someone who has played seriously and successfully for a very long time probably has near-perfect intuition for where the CB will head for all sorts of shots. These people obviously do not need to consciously think about the 90-degree rule for stun shots, the 30-degree rule for natural-angle rolling-CB shots, the trisect system for draw shots, or other systems to predict CB direction for shots in between and beyond what the basic systems predict. But for the mere mortals out there who don't yet have perfect CB-direction or carom/kiss-direction intuition, these systems can be very helpful, especially when a game situation calls for very tight CB or carom/kiss-shot control.

Regards,
Dave

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
As I said... if one needs to use a peace sign to TRY to determine how the cue ball will come out of the collision then they are probably not capable of moving the cue ball in the manner to get that exact outcome & hence they should probably play more...

If you saw a guy in the corner of the room playing with yellow earmuffs on his head, a contraption on his arm that looks like he trains dogs, and a 65" cue, you'd probably say some pretty colourful things about his playing ability and his need to work on his "feel" as well. Unfortunately, that guy is Earl Strickland, and he could spot you the 5 out. Making generalized comments about what people "need to use" to play pool is rather closed minded. In fact, you keep quoting "Master Instructor Fran Crimi". There are also Master Instructor Jerry Breiseth and Master Instructor Robert Byrne that advocated the tangent line. And visualizing it in order to determine the path of the cueball, and how to make the cueball deviate from that path by using draw or follow. It's how I learned the game. I still look at the tangent line when I'm in question about breaking up a cluster, or checking out a possible carom or scratch. So, tangent lines are useful to me. As such, your opinion is just your opinion. Stop making generalizations about how players should learn. There are different coaches, instructors, theories, etc. CTE does work for some people. Systems work for some people. Just because you see no value in it, doesn't mean it is without value. You're just too closed minded to acknowledge the fact that it works for some people, and you feel the need to tell "the truth'....you just seem to forget that it's "your truth".

Feel free to add me to the pile of people you have on ignore. I'd welcome membership into that exclusive treehouse.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
And my first question?

Along with my other questions?

You are saying everyone should go out and make their own determinations. Is anyone saying we shouldn't?

12 salesmen with briefcases 100 miles from home are 'experts'.

I'm not here to have teeth pulled or play word games of a dozen questions & answers... like 3 or 4 others always like to play.

If I tell you to play wearing 3 socks on your right foot because it sets you on a better plane for shooting pool...

you & everyone else is at free will to do that or not.

But we can still discuss whether that has any real life merit, effect, or significance without those that are doing it or not doing to have a lynch him mentality.

All Best Wishes for YOU & Yours... & ALL.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. He's far from a Narcissist. I do think, though, that he tends to fight battles that can't be won against those who are.

So you actually think most of the forum is suffering from narcissistic behavior problem? Have you even really looked at the definitions of the disorder?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

If I truly had such a "disorder", I would certainly not stay around here knowing what I am going to get from the same few truly narcissistic individuals & those that worship THEM the way that THEY want to be worshiped.

I know from whom pride & arrogance originated & that prevents me from ever being narcissistic.

I also know from Whom Blessings come & that too prevents me from ever being narcissistic.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

PS Does it not amaze anyone else that after 6 or 7 attempts to get this thread back on topic, that some are still discussing 'people' in the form of me.

Last edited: