mental side of pool books

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any books that give a look at some of the common mental barriers to pool and remedies for them?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
'Zen in the Art of Archery'

Does anyone know of any books that give a look at some of the common mental barriers to pool and remedies for them?

'Zen in the Art of Archery' is the best book I've read that can be applied to pool.

th

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read several books on the mental game in sports including the inner game of tennis and a mind for pool by far the best book I have ever read on the mental game is The Mental Game of Baseball

it covers everything from pressure and expectations to confidence and the winners mind set

To give u a taste one of my favorite chapters of the book talks about the winners mind vs the losers mind. they would say something like
Losers mindset= another 0fer I am doing terrible
Winners mindset= I am seeing the ball well I just need to work on my timing and I will get better.
a loser focuses his mind on the negative a winner looks at the good things you are doing and what you can do to be better.

An example of how this is applicable to pool is like me today. I got skunked by a lesser opponent.
My mind set could be
Loser:skunked Lost to this guy whats wrong with me
or
Winner: my shot making was good and I was always one ball away from each game poor cue ball control put me in bad situations. I will work on that for next time.

Buy that book it is head and sholders above any other mental game book.

I must have read it 3 times and I still use it for reference whenever I feel my mind is slipping.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
"Zen in the art of archery" -- fantastic stuff

"The inner game of tennis" -- good stuff

My absolute favourite book is since i read it first:

"Thinking body, dancing mind" taosports for exraordinary performance in athletics, biz and life.