Diamond Table Rail Replacement

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
I have the opportunity to buy a 9' Diamond table in good condition, but the seller says the rails are slow (see exerpted e-mail below).

My question is: should I take the table and replace the rubber? How expensive and difficult is that?

Maybe I should take one of the other tables??

Here is the e-mail:

"...(Table 1 is) a used Brunswick Gold Crown IV that all the metal corners have scratches and probably some of the wood siding also. They sell it for $3,600 no balls, no lamp and no Siminiz cloth.
(Table 2 is a) Brand NEW Brunswick Gold Crown IV that I have in storage.
Original Price New is $8,300. It comes with the lamp that Cost $1,810, see pic. Simoniz 760 Cloth $220 and set of Centennial Balls $250 ??? maybe.
I am selling it Complete in $4,500 and you can come and see it and I can keep it stored foy you.
The Diamon\d table might have Very few if any scratches and comes with a Simoniz 760 Cloth but NO balls.Price $3,200.The rails are slow but I set one up for a friend in San Jaun and you can see it in person and try it."

That's it. What do you think?

TheTablePro

Silver Member
On the serious side, I'd take the Diamond and replace the cushions (if necessary). You could have that done for less than the GC IV with scratches. Is the seller sure the cushions need replaced or are they just loose and need reglued? That would be the best case scenerio.

One mans opinion!

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Here is a photo of the Diamond, or identical table.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Naaa, Diamond rail rubber seldom ever comes loose, I'd be more inclined to think the cloth is loose making it appear to play slow, as that's the results of loose cloth. There is a chance the cushions could be going back, I'd need to know when the table was first bought to make a better call on that one though.

Glen

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Weren't there some issues with the rubber that Diamond was using a few years back? They replaced mine.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the the Diamond is an earlier model Pro, it might have the original Diamond rubber which was junk. They then went to Artemis cushions which they may still be installing. My Pro was supplied with the Diamond rubber which I replaced as it deteriorated, GRRR. I used the Artemis cushions as supplied by Diamond and the table now plays fine but not what I'd consider fast.

_Rick

realkingcobra

Silver Member
rikdee said:
If the the Diamond is an earlier model Pro, it might have the original Diamond rubber which was junk. They then went to Artemis cushions which they may still be installing. My Pro was supplied with the Diamond rubber which I replaced as it deteriorated, GRRR. I used the Artemis cushions as supplied by Diamond and the table now plays fine but not what I'd consider fast.

_Rick
Several years ago, I think back in 01' & 02', Diamond tried some new cushion rubber, it was pink in color, played great to begin with, but...like all manufactures, they don't make the cushion rubber...and, over time, the rubber started crystallizing and turning hard as rock. Diamond has to my knowledge, always replaced any of that rubber at their cost. But, more than 2 years ago, Diamond switched all their 9fts to the Artemus Intercontinental Model 66 K55 profile cushion rubber. If this table is 2 years old, then it has the Artemus rail rubber on it. Artemus rubber does not play fast nor slow, it's more in the middle of the speed range. What it's more known for is it's consistency to always play the same, BUT...that depends on who installs it too, as well as who manufactured the table. I would have to say that the Diamond table we're talking about is normal for a Diamond table. Keep in mind, there's other things that contribute to the "speed" of a table, especially when comparing other tables.

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just checked with Brian at Diamond, as I thought, ALL Diamond 9fts within the last 4 years or a little longer have the Artemus cushions on them, if this Diamond don't have Artemus cushions, it's older than 4 years...think about it, find out.

Glen

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I bought mine new from Diamond and the rails got rock hard about a year after I got the table. They came to my home free of charge to replace them. Pretty cool. DAMMED cool!