CJ's Adventures on the Road - How we Reach our Highest Potential ASAP

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may not want to push yourself to the top of the world, however, you can certainly reach your highest potential with the willingness to push pass self imposed limitations.

Click here for the road story ------ https://youtu.be/RMNU0-u0ihU

The Game is the Teacher

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all your posts. Do you have a specific thought when you are down on the shot? Thanks again I am enjoying your online classes.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
so many put limits on themselves

You either believe in yourself or you don't. Those that don't can have all the other tools and still never be winners. Those that believe in themselves can be a little lacking and still find ways to win.

Looking back I best remember those times when things weren't right and I found a way to win anyway. Sometimes you have to change up, sometimes you just have to dig in and perform error free with the heat on.

Hu

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The thoughts I consciously had to get my tempo was FOCUS - TOI - ACCELERATE

Thank you for all your posts. Do you have a specific thought when you are down on the shot? Thanks again I am enjoying your online classes.

When I'm down on the shot I'm trying to Feel the shot with my eyes, then Tempo is my main concern.

I teach a tempo or rhythm to the stroke using the same technique that piano teachers use (I used to used to participate in concert piano competitions in high school), that are very effective.

The thoughts I consciously had to get my tempo was FOCUS - TOI (Touch of Inside for my Tip Target) - ACCELERATE ......"Accelerate" I'd break into a mantra AC CEL ER ATE - so that my tempo is similar to a pendulum - the speed is a personal preference.

Tempo is important in the golf swing, tennis swing, throwing a ball, throwing a dart AND pool.....no matter how advanced a player becomes they will always work on their tempo, not only in the stroke, but in their entire game and pre shot routine.

The Game is the Teacher

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm down on the shot I'm trying to Feel the shot with my eyes, then Tempo is my main concern.

I teach a tempo or rhythm to the stroke using the same technique that piano teachers use (I used to used to participate in concert piano competitions in high school), that are very effective.

The thoughts I consciously had to get my tempo was FOCUS - TOI (Touch of Inside for my Tip Target) - ACCELERATE ......"Accelerate" I'd break into a mantra AC CEL ER ATE - so that my tempo is similar to a pendulum - the speed is a personal preference.

Tempo is important in the golf swing, tennis swing, throwing a ball, throwing a dart AND pool.....no matter how advanced a player becomes they will always work on their tempo, not only in the stroke, but in their entire game and pre shot routine.

The Game is the Teacher
Well glad to see you back CJ in a much more down to earth form something I guess we learn as we get older , I'm obviously not at your level as my eyes where on other fries ,
But I call that the Tick Tock timing method, especialy useful in single focused applications
Like Pool , Darts , Golf where your focus is on a fixed subject object could be moving also like skeet, throwing a pass out of the pocket, it's a ability learned thru training and it simply becomes second nature, you don't think it just happens

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
how it connects to each and every player.

Well glad to see you back CJ in a much more down to earth form something I guess we learn as we get older , I'm obviously not at your level as my eyes where on other fries ,
But I call that the Tick Tock timing method, especialy useful in single focused applications
Like Pool , Darts , Golf where your focus is on a fixed subject object could be moving also like skeet, throwing a pass out of the pocket, it's a ability learned thru training and it simply becomes second nature, you don't think it just happens

Thanks, I appreciate you, and you're right it does become second nature.....however, it's vital to learn the most effective and efficient ways of doing things.

This is what I teach, from the foundation up, and how it connects to each and every player.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marikian...Think standing up...don't think when down on the shot. Now that doesn't mean you don't have a mantra to carry you through your routine. It just means that you have about 10-12 seconds to aim, line up and shoot. If you don't get the shot off within that time frame, the brain starts "talking" to you....'don't miss...shoot a little thinner...use some right...don't scratch...and many more. It's negative thinking, which you want no part of...ever! Many players change their mind about what they're going to do, after they've gotten down on the shot. That's very likely to cause the player to make an error. If you do decide to make a change, you should stand up, make up your mind about your A.S.S., and then return to your shooting position.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marikian...Think standing up...don't think when down on the shot. Now that doesn't mean you don't have a mantra to carry you through your routine. It just means that you have about 10-12 seconds to aim, line up and shoot. If you don't get the shot off within that time frame, the brain starts "talking" to you....'don't miss...shoot a little thinner...use some right...don't scratch...and many more. It's negative thinking, which you want no part of...ever! Many players change their mind about what they're going to do, after they've gotten down on the shot. That's very likely to cause the player to make an error. If you do decide to make a change, you should stand up, make up your mind about your A.S.S., and then return to your shooting position.

Scott Lee

No offense Lee but your ASS should be somewhere else

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense Lee but your ASS should be somewhere else

Your clearly a idiot and obviously know nothing about pool to make such a statement, where do you think the phrase study long study wrong came from , go look at Ronnie O'Sullivan videos he's down one practice stroke and fires or Efren for a pool player you might know

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your clearly a idiot and obviously know nothing about pool to make such a statement, where do you think the phrase study long study wrong came from , go look at Ronnie O'Sullivan videos he's down one practice stroke and fires or Efren for a pool player you might know

I'm in the school of thought that if you cant play at a certain caliber then ...well, your probably smart enough to figure out the rest. Dont want to derail a thread over a stupid sounding adage

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"it's not possible to have the mental without first having the physical skills"

C.J which lesson on https://masteringpocketbilliards.com would best explain the thoughts when you are down on a shot?

The "New Videos" section has some videos that will help, although, as my martial arts master told me "it's not possible to have the mental without first having the physical skills".

Here's a video of the Mental Side that will give you some ideas you can apply to your own game - https://youtu.be/Q50uQZvJndU

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the school of thought that if you cant play at a certain caliber then ...well, your probably smart enough to figure out the rest. Dont want to derail a thread over a stupid sounding adage

Well Scott does not but trust me he's got serious skills ,, Barry Starks is a top tier snooker coach at any level worked with many top players in fact Ronnie O thanked Barry in a speech for his help more than one time ,,
As far as the mental aspect , CJ's video is one method . another is clearing the mind by not thinking of any one thing but clearing the mind by not really thinking of anything at all , scouting around the room never stopping on anything just gazing , then when it's your trip to the table , visualize your plan your shot and then pre shot routine get down and if at that point it doesn't feel right stand back up repeat ,, this is not my idea it was taught to me from a Sports Shrink who spent 20 yrs teaching snipers in the military and then many professional athletes in many sports pro and amateur, It wasn't free at the bar advise I paid for it he was a pool player also had me bring my cue ,
I was on a mission had one last chance at getting to Vegas I did 2 things got a lesson from Scott and a visit to him , and I went on to shoot the best pool I've shot in decades and Vegas became a reality

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
My goal is to share how the champions play the game both mentally and physically

You have some great points. There are many levels to this game and until you've been to the the highest there's no way to see where you're at. My goal is to share how the champions play the game both mentally and physically, either people can "empty their cup" so they can learn to improve.......or not.

The Game is the Teacher

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stupid sounding to you or not...the concepts that I presented are espoused by the very top teachers in the game. CJ has his way of teaching, and we have ours. You wouldn't know your own A.S.S. from a hole in the ground, because you don't even know what it stands for! As was already mentioned a million times, people who share the sentiment of 'if you can't beat me, you can't teach me' simply don't understand teaching, and will likely not improve much over the course of their pool life...kinda like you! :grin:

Scott Lee

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words my friend! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Well Scott does not but trust me he's got serious skills ,, Barry Starks is a top tier snooker coach at any level worked with many top players in fact Ronnie O thanked Barry in a speech for his help more than one time ,,
As far as the mental aspect , CJ's video is one method . another is clearing the mind by not thinking of any one thing but clearing the mind by not really thinking of anything at all , scouting around the room never stopping on anything just gazing , then when it's your trip to the table , visualize your plan your shot and then pre shot routine get down and if at that point it doesn't feel right stand back up repeat ,, this is not my idea it was taught to me from a Sports Shrink who spent 20 yrs teaching snipers in the military and then many professional athletes in many sports pro and amateur, It wasn't free at the bar advise I paid for it he was a pool player also had me bring my cue ,
I was on a mission had one last chance at getting to Vegas I did 2 things got a lesson from Scott and a visit to him , and I went on to shoot the best pool I've shot in decades and Vegas became a reality

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made this video while in Georgia about the mental side and internal dialogue

I made this video while in Georgia to explain more about the mental side and how it connects to the physical fundamentals, systems, and techniques of champion level players.

The Game is the Teacher - https://youtu.be/tTFsuo8VWJU

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stupid sounding to you or not...the concepts that I presented are espoused by the very top teachers in the game. CJ has his way of teaching, and we have ours. You wouldn't know your own A.S.S. from a hole in the ground, because you don't even know what it stands for! As was already mentioned a million times, people who share the sentiment of 'if you can't beat me, you can't teach me' simply don't understand teaching, and will likely not improve much over the course of their pool life...kinda like you! :grin:

Scott Lee

Lee, your insults dont phase me. I believe they reflect on you. Your adages start with "if you cant...you cant..." and "you dont know...you dont know" then ASS which you dont define. All of which are extremely negative aspects you must not be aware of. I know from seeing a video of your game that it holds many of these aspects. Seems you stopped learning contented where you were at at that cant get out of a wet paper bag level. I'd say, if you really wanted to become closer to this self professed master instructor illusion, you can instill more confidence in these students of yours when they can see you too can apply in real life what you term to espouse

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the master told the student "first you must empty your cup before you can add new tea

You either believe in yourself or you don't. Those that don't can have all the other tools and still never be winners. Those that believe in themselves can be a little lacking and still find ways to win.

Looking back I best remember those times when things weren't right and I found a way to win anyway. Sometimes you have to change up, sometimes you just have to dig in and perform error free with the heat on.

Hu

Believing in yourself requires action, and action usually requires giving up something we thought was correct for something that actually is going to lead to a breakthrough in life.

There are so many levels to the game of pocket billiards and other sport/game from my experience.

I remember when I was training with Hank Haney (Tiger Woods coach) I ask him to teach me a "tour swing" and he quickly said "it's really difficult, and probably backwards from what you've read and heard, are you sure you want to?"

I answered a quick "yes!" and he was right, what he showed me was very different from what I'd read in the magazines and that was okay because he told me up front what the truth was.

I do the same thing, if someone doesn't play the game at a level they run the table almost every time then they are probably doing several things backwards from the champions. I can identify those things in 5-10 minutes and show them exactly how to correct them within 3 hours......and within 3 weeks of practicing an hour a day they can do it too, but it will be very difficult because you have to be willing to let go of what you thought you knew about pool......and the reward is amazing because it is enhanced every day!

Only then can your mind accept the new perspective, like the master told the student "first you must empty your cup before you can put new tea in it"......our minds are like that, they get filled up with a lot of lies, and nonsense watching TV and listening to programming that our ability to use common sense and logic is diminished and few people will ever realize it.

The Game is the Teacher