Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Found a little unexpected gem last night.
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Found a little unexpected gem last night.
Old
  (#1)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Found a little unexpected gem last night. - 10-26-2019, 05:47 AM

I was at a brewery last night in Beaufort, NC. I was talking to the girl about something to do later. She mentioned a place called Royal James Cafe. At first it didn't interest me and then she said, "it has 3 large pool tables and a band is playing tonight"

Our group headed to an all you can eat oyster roast and had a few beers. A little later, we walked down the street to the Royal James Cafe.

It looked like a diner from the outside. We walked in and sure enough, there were 3 large Brunswicks along with 2 bar boxes in the back of the room. The tables appeared to be very old but in really good shape. Apparently this place is the longest continuous running business in Beaufort.

While speaking with the lady at the counter, she told me it was $2.00 per hour for the large tables and .25 per game for the bar boxes. WOW.

She then told me that the place had been renovated over the years but the floor was original. You could see the worn floor from people walking around the corner pockets. She said that Willie and Fats had played in the room however I didn't see any photos on the walls of them.

Cheeseburgers $2.00
Double Cheeseburgers $4.00
Pints of beer $3.00 Very cold.

We played for about 1.5 hours and had a great time.

If you're ever in the area, check it out.

Old
  (#2)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
I was at a brewery last night in Beaufort, NC. I was talking to the girl about something to do later. She mentioned a place called Royal James Cafe. At first it didn't interest me and then she said, "it has 3 large pool tables and a band is playing tonight"

Our group headed to an all you can eat oyster roast and had a few beers. A little later, we walked down the street to the Royal James Cafe.

It looked like a diner from the outside. We walked in and sure enough, there were 3 large Brunswicks along with 2 bar boxes in the back of the room. The tables appeared to be very old but in really good shape. Apparently this place is the longest continuous running business in Beaufort.

While speaking with the lady at the counter, she told me it was $2.00 per hour for the large tables and .25 per game for the bar boxes. WOW.

She then told me that the place had been renovated over the years but the floor was original. You could see the worn floor from people walking around the corner pockets. She said that Willie and Fats had played in the room however I didn't see any photos on the walls of them.

Cheeseburgers $2.00

WOW. What a spot. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECA8QBg

Old
  (#3)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
for real..sweet find bic!

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#4)
YOLO
AzB Silver Member
YOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond reputeYOLO has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 06:32 AM

Thanks for this post! 10 years ago my wife and I moved to FL from MD on our boat. We took 6 months and stopped at ever small town on the ICW we could. We played those tables. Our kinda place

Pic is from July 2010
Attached Images

Playing Cue: Off the Wall
Break/Jump Cue: Off the Wall
Mood: You guessed it... Off the Wall
YOLO = You Only Live Once
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, penniless, shouting, 'Holy Sh*t! What a ride!'"

Last edited by YOLO; 10-26-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Great Find!
Old
  (#5)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Great Find! - 10-26-2019, 07:41 AM

As a pool purist I would like a little higher ceiling. However that wouldn't keep me from being in there daily if I worked or lived nearby!

I really like finding those old places. Found a cafe/restaurant that was a stopping place for the passenger trains once upon a time. The back bar had been lifted from a destroyed plantation home and was probably worth more than the rest of the building combined! Unfortunately this place closed.

Other places open and close in historic old buildings and there are finds all over New Orleans if you can stand New Orleans! I went to school near the river and my favorite lunch stop was in an over hundred year old grocery store. Grabbed a po-boy there and sat in the park to eat during good weather. The zoo was close enough to hear exotic animals. The most dangerous ones in the park were the tree squirrels. They would climb your leg for potato chips and you could see dozens converging on you like the rats in Willard!

I need to spend a week or three prowling Acadiana.

Hu

Old
  (#6)
gcmortal
AzB Silver Member
gcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond reputegcmortal has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Oh my yes. Thousand times yes.

Could be room for a fourth table when the bar boxes are disposed of, maybe even a snooker.

Old
  (#7)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 08:11 AM

Those are ANNIVERSARIES!!!!!!!!!....

...canít remember the last time I saw a cigarette machine

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#8)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Very nice find, i'll have to check that out if I am ever in that area.

Old
  (#9)
Hoser
AzB Silver Member
Hoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 08:31 AM

I know where I'm headed the next time my wife visits the in-laws

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cues: Player: Gulyassy
Semi Retired: Mcdermott D-19 with Paul Dayton shaft

Old
  (#10)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 10:27 AM

I forgot to mention in my OP that the burgers were absolutely delicious. They were cooked on a flat top.

They have a band playing tonight. Old Time country and classic rock. We will probably be making our way back in.

Old
  (#11)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up 10-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention in my OP that the burgers were absolutely delicious. They were cooked on a flat top.

They have a band playing tonight. Old Time country and classic rock. We will probably be making our way back in.
I gotta find this joint. A hidden jewel. Thanks.

Old
  (#12)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Cheeseburgers $2.00

Very cool! Reminds me of Joe Jost's minus the 1940 prices.

Old
  (#13)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 11:11 AM

The food prices (click on menu in the link) were what blew me away...haven't seen such a low priced menu in Oregon for at least a decade.

Old
  (#14)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member

10-26-2019, 05:17 PM

A quick pic of the menu board
Attached Images

Are you sure........
Old
  (#15)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Are you sure........ - 10-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Cheeseburgers $2.00

Are you sure you didnít just visit................ (music plays) THE TWILIGHT ZONE......

Td

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: