like a stunned cueball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If I had to guess he means it is hit a good
medium speed. Spin transfer doesn't work
as well at high speed. At high speed the ob acts
like a stunned cueball.
Yes, I think he just means the OB is rolling, not sliding. "Overspin" is the wrong word for that - it means "peeling out", not rolling, which is almost impossible for an OB.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s a comment on how he doesn’t have to hit the ball hard to move it around. A softer hit means the pockets are more accepting of balls. If he wants to move the ball further, in that case he gives it more top spin instead of hitting it harder. And because he’s hitting it softer, the cueball is also moving forward sooner instead of sliding on the tangent line as much after initial collision. Getting good spin on a softer stroke has the risk of letting up and dogging the stroke. It takes a good stroke, good contact and even follow through to deliver force follow with a soft hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I think JJ is one of the best commentators I've heard. He seams to talk without ego and just puts it out there honestly. Most know that I'm not a big Earl fan because of his past antics, but I appreciate his commentating. JJ is still my favorite

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think he just means the OB is rolling, not sliding. ...
Yes, he's definitely talking about having full forward roll on the object ball when it gets to the pocket. Especially on new/slippery cloth, that helps the object ball slide into the pocket if it is not struck perfectly

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
59:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHgNtyhaWA

"object ball always has good overspin..very rarely a punchy kind of ball"

I'm sure this is a neat comment..I just vaguely understand it ^_^
thanks for any help!

I love JJ's commentary! In layman's terms he is saying the object ball is rolling smoothly toward the pocket with the forward spin helping pocket the ball. Skyler hits the ball with a very smooth stroke that allows the object ball to turn over in the direction of the pocket and not a punchy stroke that might make the object ball hop a little after contact or get off line.

I like the way he says it though. His commentary is high level, astute observations of the game. No one else out there quite like him. As for me, if I'm commenting on the same shot I may say something like, "Sky makes a clean hit on the object ball and gets it to turn over toward the pocket."

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
59:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHgNtyhaWA

"object ball always has good overspin..very rarely a punchy kind of ball"

I'm sure this is a neat comment..I just vaguely understand it ^_^
thanks for any help!

Overspin might not be exactly the right term.

But what he's saying is that the CB is fully spinning forward at the moment of contact with the OB. And, tied into this is a tip you can find in MW's book -- that pro players hit the ball higher for follow (and lower for draw) than the average room player. So your average player is less likely to have full top-spin on a shot, particularly on a shot where there is less distance between the CB and OB because they're hitting the ball lower for their follow shots.

Having said all that, playing on new Simonis, with brand new balls fresh out of the polisher, as opposed to dirty, worn commercial room cloth with older, dirtier balls doesn't hurt either.

Lou Figueroa

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love JJ's commentary! In layman's terms he is saying the object ball is rolling smoothly toward the pocket with the forward spin helping pocket the ball. Skyler hits the ball with a very smooth stroke that allows the object ball to turn over in the direction of the pocket and not a punchy stroke that might make the object ball hop a little after contact or get off line.

I like the way he says it though. His commentary is high level, astute observations of the game. No one else out there quite like him. As for me, if I'm commenting on the same shot I may say something like, "Sky makes a clean hit on the object ball and gets it to turn over toward the pocket."

thanks jay, I got a lot out of this comment
I feel spoiled by accu-stats..everything pat and them do is quality
not least the commentary
thanks again
and to all kind enough to reply

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They both make sense to me - the CB for shape and the OB for pocketing.

pj
chgo

OK, so help me understand.

What superpower was Sky using -- given the distance between the CB and OB and between the OB and pocket on this particular shot -- that helped the two ball drop. (That would be: other than missing the pocket by at least half a diamond.)

Lou Figueroa
I await this insight
with bait on my breath

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What superpower was Sky using -- given the distance between the CB and OB and between the OB and pocket on this particular shot -- that helped the two ball drop.
Shooting softly enough that the OB was fully rolling on its way to the pocket.

pj
chgo

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i liked it when jj made up a new verb- hydrolic

for example i quote from memory-

that ball just hydrolicked out of the corner-

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems there is consensus that JJs comment implies the outcome of a softer hit letting the OB naturally roll easily into a more accepting pocket. I think we all know a firm hit can jaw up balls where a softer hit would have dropped.

At this point it seems the debate is on the phrase “overspin on the object ball” and whether that means...

A) It’s a weird way to describe a naturally rolling object ball...OR

B) He misspoke and meant to say “overspin on the cueball”, because he was describing getting some force follow (overspin) out of a soft stroke resulting in good action on the cueball AND a naturally rolling object ball.

Unless I’m misreading things and I’m unawares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting softly enough that the OB was fully rolling on its way to the pocket.

pj
chgo

At that distance from the pocket what else was the two ball going to be doing?

At almost anything other than warp speed that ball was going to be "fully rolling." And even if he blasted it, from that distance it would still probably be "fully rolling."

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, if you don't know, just say you don't know. :thumbup:

School me, Jay.

Here's your explanation:

So, a few things:

First, of course the OB is rolling smoothly towards the pocket with forward spin, duh.

Second, even if the ball hopped a little, on that shot, at that distance from the pocket, so what? After it hopped around the second diamond and rolled the rest of the table, it's still going to be rolling.

Third, guess what? He did hit it off line and hits the rail at least half a diamond in front of the pocket.

So fourth, hitting the rail before the pocket means that the OB will have rail induced spin on it and will not be rolling with pure forward spin.

So again, explain it to me.

Lou Figueroa