When is a pool pocket too tight?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The shot on the 1ball next rack is similar

Reading the comments others seemed to be mesmerized by the beerfest crowd as well

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel that we should be making pockets smaller.
We need to make it harder to play Pool, not easier!
This will bring in more new players.
People will watch more Tournaments because they know the pockets are harder to play.

4-12" is a Bucket IMHO.
I disagree,
Pool is hard enough for the beginner, small holes will scare them away.

And as far as spectators, it seems like baseball is juicing the ball and football is restricting the defense all in order to increase the scoring because fans like scoring.

Please don't turn pool into soccer

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot before that one they were yelling just as loud
Is that on every shot of the match , wth
How ridiculous

I think that one got an extra loud cheer because it was just so ridiculous...there is no way any pro tournament table should have let that one drop!!!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
So I would guess that all of you would agree to........

True 5" Pockets (with corrected angles) for all tables including Tournaments.

Yep, same thoughts I was having.

Couple of points:

A) people pick up pool (that is play rather continuously over their life) because they enjoyed their first several games. Making pockets so small that people do not enjoy their first few games is a sure way to loose players.

Pool is hard enough for the beginner, small holes will scare them away.

Just wanted to say that I feel the opposite to each of these points literally, lol. Not trying to be snarky or difficult, but it's rare that I disagree so thoroughly, lol. :D

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
It's too tight when you're sacrificing personal enjoyment, which is, of course, subjective. I would love having a table like the one shown in the video, but only for accuracy practice and to develop greater pattern planning. For me, one of my great loves in pool is advanced positional plays and pockets that tight takes away from that considerably.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That 12ft monstrosity is at Hard Times in Bellflower. I've played around on it a couple of times. Maximum break, after maximum break. It's hard to miss :thumbup:

I thought I knew those pockets..

I rented that table for a minute or two on one of the times I was able to go there.
The counter guy said the table was set up for golf.

I didn't care, I just like to play on a snooker table whenever I get a chance.
but wtf? I didn't even take a shot. the ball rubs both sides on the way in.

I took the balls back to the front desk.

These golf players must be good

steven

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a pocket is too tight when the average joe plays and can hardly make a ball because they all rattle so he goes someplace else or does something else and that poolroom goes on the for sale list.

5 inch corners and 5 1/2 inch sides are a good fit.

for pros and tournaments make whatever size you want. i am talking in public places. at home do as you please for practice whatever suits you.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
It's too tight when you're sacrificing personal enjoyment, which is, of course, subjective. I would love having a table like the one shown in the video, but only for accuracy practice and to develop greater pattern planning. For me, one of my great loves in pool is advanced positional plays and pockets that tight takes away from that considerably.

I agree. As for practicing, one can absolutely become an accurate shooter even playing on a "loose" table. Just practice such that you aim for dead center of the pocket. Then practice to play either the right or left side of the pocket. Multiple DCC banks winner Larry Price told me that and I like that approach. RIP Larry!.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Last thought about this. If anyone wishes to have a difficult playing experience, please come play on my diamond pro in the basement with worn cloth and high humidity. It will torture manay a player, I can assure you. ;)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
The corelation between the accuracy of a rifle barrel (a piece of equipment) and the accuracy of a pool player's potting ability makes ZERO sense.

If you had said "cues are known to have at least X% inaccuracy regardless of player input and this is how much random variability that has on Y pocket size" then you would have been more on point. But as far as I know noone has ever blamed cues not being accurate enough as the reason pool players miss shots so...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The corelation between the accuracy of a rifle barrel (a piece of equipment) and the accuracy of a pool player's potting ability makes ZERO sense.

If you had said "cues are known to have at least X% inaccuracy regardless of player input and this is how much random variability that has on Y pocket size" then you would have been more on point. But as far as I know noone has ever blamed cues not being accurate enough as the reason pool players miss shots so...

I feel the comparison is valid. Human beings are not infinitely accurate. Even a pro players stroke will have a certain degree of spread, or inaccuracy. Now, if you make a pocket so that there is close to zero margin of error from a certain angle, and two pros are playing, one barely misses the other pockets the ball, it's hard to say which was the better player in this particular instance if their performance otherwise was equal. If you let them hit the shot 100 times each they may have the same number of hits or misses and it's merely a matter of chance when the miss does occur, not some inherent skill difference.

The pockets only records hit or miss. I was trying to point out that making the target ever smaller does not work the way some people think it does. Beyond a certain point all it does is introduce chance.

Not only that, but do people really think the way to make pool bettter is to make people miss more routine shots? Wouldn't you rather see an Efren z-kick than some guy rattling a 4 foot shot along the rail? Just asking.

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
two pros are playing, one barely misses the other pockets the ball, it's hard to say which was the better player in this particular instance if their performance otherwise was equal.

I would say we know exactly who the better player was in this particular instance.

As you said humans are not infinately accurate, but in this situation one was a little more accurate than the other and he won the game.

Professional sports differentiate the best from the rest by fairly seemingly insignificant margins under very difficult performance conditions. The cream rises to the top because they are that little bit better than everyone else.

As for your last question, I vastly preffer watching tension and a chance to miss any shot rather than having a player break th e balls and hearing the announcers go "this is a road map, he is out". When announcers can state that the tables are way too bloody easy.

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
At Easy Street Billiards in Monterey, Calif., they have one 9 foot table with 3 1/2 inch pockets. Many of the better players love to play on it. Some players like to practice their shot making on this table to sharpen their aim.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket size................

I feel that we should be making pockets smaller.
We need to make it harder to play Pool, not easier!
This will bring in more new players.
People will watch more Tournaments because they know the pockets are harder to play.

4-12" is a Bucket IMHO.
Ever run/owned a poolroom? Kinda doubt it because if you did you'd know that tight pockets are BAD for your wallet. Yeah they're fine for the higher speed players but for recreational play they SUCK. When people go out to play pool they want to see balls go in, not just rattle. Having one or two tight pocket tables is one thing but the majority should be bigger. BTW, 4.5" aren't buckets. That's the standard tournament-size of almost every major tournament/event.