BANK and KICK Effects and Aiming ADJUSTMENTS

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you are getting less views, but love the video. I love the way you present things in the videos and I have gained so much knowledge from your videos and websites. Thanks for everything.
I'm glad to hear you enjoy and benefit from my stuff. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Regards,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low views because no players. They dont be hooked now for playing and practice coz they can´t play..

I myself basically stopped watching pool now.. Even i love it. Must happen to many others too

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice job, Dave. I particularly liked part four on transferred spin.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was thinking a written "preview" description or two of lessons on the video you're talking about, posted here on AzB and/or on YouTube.
But I like your idea of a trailer better - I think more people will click on a short sample out of idle curiosity, and some of them will become interested.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Low views because no players. They dont be hooked now for playing and practice coz they can´t play.
I agree this must be the main reason.

I myself basically stopped watching pool now.. Even i love it.
Bummer. I hope life returns back to "normal" sooner rather than later.

Thank you for the response,
Dave

PS: Do you have a 60+ BU Exam III video you plan to post at some time? You seemed to suggest this in the Challenge thread.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
But I like your idea of a trailer better - I think more people will click on a short sample out of idle curiosity, and some of them will become interested.
Ain't nobody got time for that. :grin-square:

Catch you later,
Dave

PS: By "nobody," I mean "me."

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Low views because no players. They dont be hooked now for playing and practice coz they can´t play..

I myself basically stopped watching pool now.. Even i love it. Must happen to many others too
Shouldn't people be watching even more instructional videos while they can't play? That would be time well spent so when they do return to the table, they might be more effective. I'm not talking about you ... pool players in general. I know you already have good knowledge and skills.

For those interested in improving during these challenging COVID-19 times, I have been recently adding to and improving the following resource page:

practicing and improving when you don't have access to a pool table

Check it out,
Dave

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave...

Job well done again... even with the lil mistake!!! lol I always learn something whenever
I get to see your videos... some of the BEST stuff out there... you are helping a lot of
players... novice to most exp...

Now you asked earlier about why your not getting more views... someone said because
of the situation... I agree. To explain a lil more in detail... many many players put their
cues away & basically put pool on hold... Yes there are also many who have tables at
home & will continue to play & also watch videos... (it is similar to when price of silver
starts going up... the people who collected the metals will then go find where they had
stashed it & have it on hand) Same goes with pool... if a person can't play due to places
closed... they just put everything away & do other things... my 2 cents...

Now there is others who want to improve & these people will want, need, & look for
anything... especially videos to help them learn... one thing more... when you finish
one video... toward the end of video you might want to say look for the NEXT one
& what it will be about... also putting your links to the NEWEST videos will also help!!

Just again my opinion... keep up the great work... :)

tz

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned something new to think more about.

The effect on kick bank with top and bottom spin on the cue ball is not something I had ever thought much about. This video helps to visualize it much better.

I always just use pure side spin when kicking as I can predict the effect fairly well.

Thanks Doc.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the reason you are not getting more views, not sure.

What I do know is whenever I try to explain (and demonstrate) the spin concepts to people who are pretty good bank (by intuition) shooters, their eyes glaze over.

Now I can just point them to this video...

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have a question regarding the kick bank with bottom spin.

If the cue ball is in its skid phase when it hits the rail, does the rotation that occurs (as you show in super slow motion videos) cause a slight rebound angle change?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave...

Job well done again... even with the lil mistake!!! lol I always learn something whenever
I get to see your videos... some of the BEST stuff out there... you are helping a lot of
players... novice to most exp...
Thanks. I’m glad you like my stuff.

Now you asked earlier about why your not getting more views... someone said because
of the situation... I agree. To explain a lil more in detail... many many players put their
cues away & basically put pool on hold... Yes there are also many who have tables at
home & will continue to play & also watch videos... (it is similar to when price of silver
starts going up... the people who collected the metals will then go find where they had
stashed it & have it on hand) Same goes with pool... if a person can't play due to places
closed... they just put everything away & do other things... my 2 cents...

Now there is others who want to improve & these people will want, need, & look for
anything... especially videos to help them learn... one thing more... when you finish
one video... toward the end of video you might want to say look for the NEXT one
& what it will be about... also putting your links to the NEWEST videos will also help!!
Good points. Thanks for your input.

Just again my opinion... keep up the great work... :)
Thanks again,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I learned something new to think more about.

The effect on kick bank with top and bottom spin on the cue ball is not something I had ever thought much about. This video helps to visualize it much better.
Im glad you found it helpful.

I always just use pure side spin when kicking as I can predict the effect fairly well.
Running side is very important with multiple-rail kicks; but, IMO, center-ball is more reliable with one-rail kicks. Any slight error in the amount of side has a big effect with one-rail kicks.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I do know is whenever I try to explain (and demonstrate) the spin concepts to people who are pretty good bank (by intuition) shooters, their eyes glaze over.

Now I can just point them to this video...
Good luck getting them to actually watch. I’ve learned that many pool players are not really that interested in learning new stuff and improving. They already think they know everything.

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Running side is very important with multiple-rail kicks; but, IMO, center-ball is more reliable with one-rail kicks. Any slight error in the amount of side has a big effect with one-rail kicks.
Ditto (unless it's a stun hit with measured running english).

pj
chgo

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im glad you found it helpful.

Regards,
Dave

An interesting statement. It would seem to me, in the context of under spin on the cue ball, you need to ensure you have under spin at rail contact time for the effect to occur. Otherwise you run the risk of having it become skid or top spin at rail contact. and your results go the other way.

With side spin (and yes an understanding of the approach angle effects) the side spin will be more consistent over the distance to the rail for a given cue speed. Meaning I do not need to hit harder or softer, based on the distance to the rail.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
An interesting statement. It would seem to me, in the context of under spin on the cue ball, you need to ensure you have under spin at rail contact time for the effect to occur. Otherwise you run the risk of having it become skid or top spin at rail contact. and your results go the other way.

With side spin (and yes an understanding of the approach angle effects) the side spin will be more consistent over the distance to the rail for a given cue speed. Meaning I do not need to hit harder or softer, based on the distance to the rail.
The amount of top or bottom on the CB when it hits the rail affects the rebound angle the same way regardless of side spin.

pj
chgo

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The amount of top or bottom on the CB when it hits the rail affects the rebound angle the same way regardless of side spin.

pj
chgo

I understand that.

My point is in the context of applying under spin in order to take advantage of the effects of it for a single rail kick bank as Dave showed in the video is, in my view, harder to consistently utilize than with straight side spin across a range of shots.