Quite possibly the most undeserved win in a final in the history of pool

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I understand that rolls are part of the game, but this was absolutely sickening. Shane really deserved to win.

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Although I would have liked to see Shane take the title, he did have numerous opportunities early on in the match. Ko did get more fortunate rolls, but SVB also missed a handful of shots.

Neither player shot as well as what I would have hoped for in a world finals match, but such is life.

Big congrats to both players. An extremely difficult field of competition.

Hopefully SVB will continue to stay on track and return next year with an even stronger performance. I'll be rooting for him.

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow...

Shane made a couple mistakes during the match for sure. However, the sheer number of lucky safes that Ko got while attempting to make the object ball and run out was unbelievable!! I really love watching both players but it sucks to see a win like this as well.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Wow, really? Can't wait to belittle the guy that won, huh? Would you be saying Shane didn't deserve it if the rolls went in his favor instead? Grow up.

Actually I would, so don't make assumptions. Ko Pin Yi is a helluva player. His performance in the FINALS however was 2 balls short of how he normally plays. You use the phrase grow up pretty loosely ha!

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I would, so don't make assumptions. Ko Pin Yi is a helluva player. His performance in the FINALS however was 2 balls short of how he normally plays. You use the phrase grow up pretty loosely ha!

At least 2 balls worse. Luck or not the best player won today.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Shane made a couple mistakes during the match for sure. However, the sheer number of lucky safes that Ko got while attempting to make the object ball and run out was unbelievable!! I really love watching both players but it sucks to see a win like this as well.

Shane didn't play perfect but his performance was better and probably would have been a lot better if he had half those rolls go his way.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Ko played extremely well throughout the event as did Shane. Either would have been a deserving champion. The sheer amount of luck involved in this win does taint it somewhat for me, but it was a good win nevertheless. Congratulations to Ko.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not defending Ko. I'm just voicing my disgust at SVB fanboys. Both in the chat and on here, they make me embarrassed to be an American and a pool player.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane didn't deserve to win or he would of !! There is only one winner
and it wasn't him, oh well. Congrats to the winner.

mapman72

Wrong sir!

It was there for the taking for Shane. He just came up short. He faded nearly all of the bad rolls. The jump in the side late in the match where Ko ended up safe, Shane should have played a better safe. Shane sold out the 2-ball in the last game...very uncharacteristic. Shane's a great player and he will be back, but Ko got it done.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I'm not defending Ko. I'm just voicing my disgust at SVB fanboys. Both in the chat and on here, they make me embarrassed to be an American and a pool player.

Thats all well and fine. The reality is that both players earned their spot in the finals but Ko's ability is not what earned him the win.

"I'm an Aussie so could care less who actually won, but SVB got very bad rolls and Ko Pin Yi was so lucky I feel like punching him in the face!

9-Ball is deader to me than it was before... a freaking luck break luck fest. Of course cream generally rises to the top, but it's gotta get through several luck based filters.

Ko Pin Yi did not deserve this win. It should go down as one of the luckiest wins in history.

I generally despise lucky players, and the streaming problems add to the frustration tonight. A bitter feeling about what was brewing up as one of the great pool matches to watch." -Colin Colenso

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Thats all well and fine. The reality is that both players earned their spot in the finals but Ko's ability is not what earned him the win.

"I'm an Aussie so could care less who actually won, but SVB got very bad rolls and Ko Pin Yi was so lucky I feel like punching him in the face!

9-Ball is deader to me than it was before... a freaking luck break luck fest. Of course cream generally rises to the top, but it's gotta get through several luck based filters.

Ko Pin Yi did not deserve this win. It should go down as one of the luckiest wins in history.

I generally despise lucky players, and the streaming problems add to the frustration tonight. A bitter feeling about what was brewing up as one of the great pool matches to watch." -Colin Colenso

People ***** about luck all the time, it don't matter. In a long run luck evens out, we all know they both are world class players .. it was just not Shane's time to win also Shane was there playing final match and not sitting outside like his counterparts world beaters.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread reminds me of why I've been seriously playing, watching, and loving Straight Pool for 63 years.

Arnaldo

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How they rollin'?

Ko played extremely well throughout the event as did Shane. Either would have been a deserving champion. The sheer amount of luck involved in this win does taint it somewhat for me, but it was a good win nevertheless. Congratulations to Ko.

^^Agreed... there's nothing more maddening than someone missing shots and getting safe unintentionally. Ko is a great player, so is Shane... the rolls could have gone the other way. I've played guys that miss a shot and park whitey behind balls repeatedly.. just puts you in the heater.

"THE BALLS ROLL FUNNY FOR EVERYBODY, KIDDO"

Attachments

• fast-eddie-felsen__140121055329.jpg
    fast-eddie-felsen__140121055329.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 560

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I only watched the tail end of the match, but I felt the alternating breaks likely played the biggest factor in the match. When both players are playing great, it seems like the determining factor was whomever got a bad roll after a break, which is what happened.

I can't say if anyone deserved it more, but I found myself longing for the days of winner breaks. With alternating breaks, the person on the wrong side of the rotation has to hope his opponent makes a mistake. He/She can't win unless they do.