best ever?

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after watching svb since the beginning of his career it is very obvious this young man will be the best to ever play the game of pocket billiards. shane now has ten us opens, five 9-ball and even a us open one-pocket. the one thats got away is straight pool and he almost won it twice, he's young and it will be in his future. the world sent its best players this year and svb prevailed even with the break change. as good as his break is his table speed and safety play cannot be denied as the best in the sport. he studied the masters and learns from watching other great players. if there is someone to watch and learn from it is svb. he is a absolute gentleman and will be a hero promoting the sport to new highs in popularity and prize money.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after watching svb since the beginning of his career it is very obvious this young man will be the best to ever play the game of pocket billiards. shane now has ten us opens, five 9-ball and even a us open one-pocket. the one thats got away is straight pool and he almost won it twice, he's young and it will be in his future. the world sent its best players this year and svb prevailed even with the break change. as good as his break is his table speed and safety play cannot be denied as the best in the sport. he studied the masters and learns from watching other great players. if there is someone to watch and learn from it is svb. he is a absolute gentleman and will be a hero promoting the sport to new highs in popularity and prize money.

At this point in time, he has definitely put his name up at the top with the best of all time. He is still fairly young and could go on to be "the very best" of all time with more added wins. Only time will tell.
My gut tells me he has the drive and ambition to be the best. I'm rooting for him all the way :)

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Truly. I do admire and respect Shane for his expertise and the obvious time and devotion he's given to the game out of pure enjoyment and sportsmanship. I don't know if he is still thralled by the game or if he is just making a living at this point. Regardless, I do enjoy his presence in the sport and consider him an exemplary representative of Cue Sports for the world community. I have no doubt he will find himself in any Hall of Fame related to his disciplines.

Lesh

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by best pocket billiards player ever you actually mean American Pool then its possible.

However if you actually do mean all pocket billiards disciplines, i.e. those played predominantly outside the US then I'm sure there's other candidates in the billiards/carom world.

Personally my vote would always go to Stephen Hendry, he dominated snooker like no-one else has done in the modern era (even Steve Davis, who until Hendry came along seemed to dominate). Ronnie wasn't even close to Hendry at his peak (although Hendry concedes Ronnie is the greater talent).

I don't believe SVB comes close to dominating pool in the same way Hendry dominated snooker.

I'd also throw in the likes of Efren Reyes and perhaps Neils Feijen, Darren Appleton as two who may retire as all time greats in (quite) a few years.

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
Yes

There is not much to say but yes he is the most dominant player ever. No

player in history has been so dominant. Efren was the best all around player

for over 15 years, but still not as dominant. We are talking 10 ball, 9 ball,

one pocket, and bar box championships not to mention gambling prowess.

If you remove bias based on players we grew up watching and those who

we got to see on a regular basis up close and be purely subjective and

honest the truth is if he quit now he would still be the best ever period.

Remember there are players that could have been and had the capability

to be the best of all time but their resumes come short.

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
If by best pocket billiards player ever you actually mean American Pool then its possible.

However if you actually do mean all pocket billiards disciplines, i.e. those played predominantly outside the US then I'm sure there's other candidates in the billiards/carom world.

Personally my vote would always go to Stephen Hendry, he dominated snooker like no-one else has done in the modern era (even Steve Davis, who until Hendry came along seemed to dominate). Ronnie wasn't even close to Hendry at his peak (although Hendry concedes Ronnie is the greater talent).

I don't believe SVB comes close to dominating pool in the same way Hendry dominated snooker.

I'd also throw in the likes of Efren Reyes and perhaps Neils Feijen, Darren Appleton as two who may retire as all time greats in (quite) a few years.
First Snooker is a whole other animal with there own all time greats since he doesn't play snooker its mute. No way to compare.
The question of best American of all time is simply yes he is from a pool dominance stand point. There have been those who played better in short periods but not consistent enough over time year after year.
Efren like I said was the best all around player for more than 15 years. Neils has won numerous championships and is also a great player. And Darren with his world titles takes a back seat to no one. The issue or the biggest feather in Shane's cap is his dominance no player has ever been so dominant year in and year out since competing in pro events.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Snooker is a whole other animal with there own all time greats since he doesn't play snooker its mute. No way to compare.
The question of best American of all time is simply yes he is from a pool dominance stand point. There have been those who played better in short periods but not consistent enough over time year after year.
Efren like I said was the best all around player for more than 15 years. Neils has won numerous championships and is also a great player. And Darren with his world titles takes a back seat to no one. The issue or the biggest feather in Shane's cap is his dominance no player has ever been so dominant year in and year out since competing in pro events.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, I was merely pointing out to the OP that the claim he is the greatest pocket billiards player of all time is probably not true (definitely not true in my opinion).

If we're talking pool specifically its much more of a debate.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Mosconi won 15 world straight pool titles.:eek::eek::eek:
From 1941 to 1957.:eek::eek:

Think of that for a second.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi won 15 world straight pool titles.:eek::eek::eek:
From 1941 to 1957.:eek::eek:

Think of that for a second.

Out of curiosity, how did the World Championships work back then?

In snooker, generally records are always qualified as 'within the modern era' as pre WW2 (and shortly after), there was a snooker World Championship of sorts, but it was simply a case of the champ played the challenger (generally won and then repeat next year).

I think thats the case anyway, not sure if pool was the same or whether they hosted proper knock out tournaments back then!

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
albin is the greatest, he was austrian champ multiple times, something shane will never achieve! :p

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

If you're going to be silly and take his post out of context, and then do the snooker thing, then I'd call foul on you. I think Stephen Hendry would be the most dominant snooker player, but if you're talking about billiard tables with pockets, then the most dominant player would be Walter Lindrum with his destruction of English Billiards, and the Great Scot wouldn't even be in the discussion.

I suggest not being silly, and still talk about Pocket Billiards, the official name of American Pool, shall we?

Freddie

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to be silly and take his post out of context, and then do the snooker thing, then I'd call foul on you. I think Stephen Hendry would be the most dominant snooker player, but if you're talking about billiard tables with pockets, then the most dominant player would be Walter Lindrum with his destruction of English Billiards, and the Great Scot wouldn't even be in the discussion.

I suggest not being silly, and still talk about Pocket Billiards, the official name of American Pool, shall we?

Freddie

Hence I asked the OP to clarify.

I then suggested that players in the Billiards/Carom world may be taken into consideration (I'm not familiar with them, hence I mentioned the fact but didn't name names).

I then threw in the snooker example as he suggested pocket billiards, which to the majority of people does not mean American pool, it means all disciplines.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, how did the World Championships work back then? ...

The format of Willie's championships varied quite a bit. Some were tournaments in one city, some were tournaments in multiple cities, and many were challenge matches (only one opponent) that were played in 1, 2, 3, or more cities. The total number of points needed to win the challenge matches varied also.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that makes it pretty tough to compare, impossible to say how tough it was back then vs now with such different formats!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could wave a magic wand and get 20 of the best that ever lived.
They would all be in their prime playing the best they could on any tables and cloth.
A level playing field for all.
Let them all play a standard tournament format 1000 times there would be no clear best of all time.
They all would win multiple times.
Some more then others.
Maybe someone would dominate who knows.
Anybody got a magic wand?

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read some of mosconi s titles were years that there was no contender so he was just awarded the title for that year. Without knowledge or research the public thinks mosconi was the best ever but as I've gotten more into the history of pool I've read many claims that mosconis achievement were slightly embellished