My Aiming System

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Every system relies heavily on feel. You just feel otherwise.

pj
chgo

I just know otherwise. I think the feel thing can be tested, but then people will say I prob spend hours shooting blind shots or something. Mucho table time on blind shots.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Of course those that don't put in the table time are gonna say table time is not important. How else can they justify their lack of practice or lack of improvement? Simple, it's all the system.

If they miss, it was the system that was the problem, not them. Not the lack of table time, but the system let them.

It grates on them that a person improvement is really based on table time and nothing more. That if someone becomes a killer player it is all because of someone or something else that made that happen and not the person hard work, determination and heart.

Until you have put in 1850 hours in a year, you do not understand the difference of using a system and not. Those that still are using a system have a long way to go. Yeah, I brought that up again and until you have put in that level of table time, you don't fully understand the need for table time. You will always fall back on "you need a system" when the overall goal is to use no system. This can only be done my long hours at the table. It is a commitment that few on here are willing to do, hence the you need to use a system or need a instructor belief.

You do not become a 100 ball runner in straight pool without table time and lots of it.

My improvement is because of me and not someone or something else. Me, being at the table trying this and that, me at the table playing way better players and getting to be way better than them over time. My desire, my creativity, my guts on some shots, its comes from within me and not from outside me.

A system is a crutch, a excuse, something to blame or give credit to instead of being true to yourself.

Wrong duckie...You lack the knowledge of what your talking about.:smile:
The more you understand how some systems work(by trial and error)the more your going to benifit from them.There,s not to many systems that cover all the shots on the table comfortably but you can take something from (all)a certain system that helps you with certain type of shots.

Theres nothing wrong with what your doing, it is what you do and it sounds like its working for you but stop with putting system users down.
They put in just as much table time as you.:wink:

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a huge difference between knowing how to pocket a ball and understanding how to pocket a ball. All a system can do for you is get you closer to the understanding of the game. This understanding is needed to be a great player.

Math is the same. Higher level math classes have 2 types of students. One who memorizes theorums and another who understands the application of the theorum. They rarely mix the the two. The pople who memorize a theorum, or in this case a system, can normally get the 7ball from those with understanding.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This whole debate over aiming is interesting and at times, hilarious to read. I personally think the problem is you can't really compare the pure beginner to the novice to the master to the shortstop to the pro. Of course you have to put in table time to become good. If you put in enough table time, you could get really good by trial and error. But doesn't it make more sense for the beginner and novices to use a system in order to get good and gain that "feel" quicker? If some lessons and an aiming system save you hundreds of hours of hours on the table developing that feel, those hundreds of hours could be spent on other valuable aspects of the game there may be no system for.

I have found the fractional aiming system works best for me. There are a ton of shots I don't need any system for, I can just step up and hit the shot. There are shots I may be a little questionable on where I use the system to verify what I'm feeling. And due to my relative inexperience, I run into some shots that just don't feel right at all and essentially need a system to have much of a chance of hitting. But each day that goes by, I find myself knowing more of those aiming points without having to resort to the system. I believe the utilization of a system is substantially accelerating my learning curve.

The other difference here is the stroke. The system helps you know the reason for missing. A less capable player is not likely to have a perfectly repeatable stroke. But what do you do when you're solely using feel and start missing shots? Are you feeling wrong or stroking wrong? When I see a shot that I absolutely know is a 1/2 ball hit and miss it, I know I had a stroke error.

The other thing to consider is there are different personality types. Some people's personality makes them more of a system type, some certainly are more comfortable working by feel. It has to be a mistake to attempt to make a system type into a purely feel type and vice versa.

I think the primary thing is to do some self analysis, figure out where your game is presently at and what makes you most comfortable. If you're a system type, experiment with some systems and utilize what works best for you. I believe the mistake would be to go against your nature and be unrealistic about your capability and what makes you most comfortable.

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a huge difference between knowing how to pocket a ball and understanding how to pocket a ball. All a system can do for you is get you closer to the understanding of the game. This understanding is needed to be a great player.

Math is the same. Higher level math classes have 2 types of students. One who memorizes theorums and another who understands the application of the theorum. They rarely mix the the two. The pople who memorize a theorum, or in this case a system, can normally get the 7ball from those with understanding.

This is true.
In mechanica engineering, there are those that have high levels of spacial comprehension and can imagine a viable product in 3D down to the type of screws necessary to put it together. They can document each detail of that product or have a CAD jockey who doesn't have that gift document it for him.

The product will or should be peer reviewed and analized by experts at physics, thermal dynamics and mathemeticians that don't have that gift. Usually, there will only be minor recommendations based on calculations that they are good at...but without that gift, they cannot design a viable product.

Be well.:smile:

alanvo

Banned
It's strange but it doesnt sound like an aiming system to me.
More of a pre shot routine to me, and still, it's a nice routine!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Decide on which ball you are going to pocket.

Visualize a line extending from the pocket through the object ball.

Square your body up to the shot.

Take a step forward with your left foot. (your right foot if you're a lefty)

Bend down.

Get comfortable.

Line yourself up

Take a few practice strokes.

Hit the cueball into the object ball where your imaginary line extends from the pocket through the object ball.

How do you adjust for any and all variables that arent associated with a centerball hit? Practice and repetition.

Practice and repetition.

There's no substitute for table time.

There's no reason to overcomplicate aiming. Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.

Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.

Hit the object ball on the opposite side of the pocket.
The substitute for just hitting balls is hitting balls with correct aim, stance and stroke mechanics--even better if a trusted instructor or advisor is assisting and coaching.

I'll agree that good players hit all kinds of shots by training then instinct if we'll all affirm that hitting a ball with two tips of bottom right english medium speed than allowing for throw and etc. is something no one does solely by instinct.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Everyone on this planet is using *an Aiming-System*. Even if he would found something out by himself (doing try and error for example). We are humans- and humans are just able to work with pictures. To pull the correct picture at a moment is the door to the success. Nothing else. (next to mechanics of course :grin-square: )

Knowledge or Instruction just can minimize the amount of the learning-curve a bit. The table time is always necessary to *learn* to play good pool.

So which system you learn at least doesn t matter. And if *System X* helps somebody, for the other guy *System Y* is much better.
To pick out the best of everything that works for you is the key. Being open-minded will satisfy you always- it will help you to find *your own way*.

lg from overseas,

Ingo

( the ability to send whitey form point A to B is still necessary :grin-square: )