Question about using BHE

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...what about 'parallel' to the shaft deflection angle I refered to...?
It's impossible to say exactly where your shaft should be pointed for any sidespin shot unless you're the shooter and are taking into account all the things that influence the shot: distance, speed, amount of sidespin, butt elevation, ball/cloth conditions, etc. These all factor into the amounts of squirt and swerve, which (as you know) counteract each other in varying amounts depending on the varying factors.

For shots where swerve dominates over squirt, aligning the cue somewhere in the squirt direction is right (I think this is what you suggested).

For shots where squirt dominates over swerve, aligning the cue somewhere in the other direction is right.

For shots where squirt and swerve cancel each other (my example above), aligning the cue parallel to the intended cue ball path is right.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's impossible to say exactly where your shaft should be pointed for any sidespin shot unless you're the shooter and are taking into account all the things that influence the shot: distance, speed, amount of sidespin, butt elevation, ball/cloth conditions, etc. These all factor into the amounts of squirt and swerve, which (as you know) counteract each other in varying amounts depending on the varying factors.

For shots where swerve dominates over squirt, aligning the cue somewhere in the squirt direction is right (I think this is what you suggested).

For shots where squirt dominates over swerve, aligning the cue somewhere in the other direction is right.

For shots where squirt and swerve cancel each other (my example above), aligning the cue parallel to the intended cue ball path is right.
If people want more information on all of these effects, including video demonstrations and instructional articles, see:

Regards,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Well said. We are trying to discuss very dynamic forces with varying conditions & applications using the english language 'filled' with at times limited reference points & chocked with different vernacular. As you know I have fallen into this type of trap before.

What would you & others call the english (other than lucky) where a long cut shot is lined up in pre-shot & then stepped up to & the bridge hand placed down with the stick on it's intended stroke line with the appropriate tip offset for the intended english that is then stroked & made. I'm just trying to investigate & possibly carify some different vernaculars if possible, nothing more than that. I'm heading out to shoot some pool so I'll get back later this evening. Hope evryone has a great day. me included.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What would you & others call the english (other than lucky) where a long cut shot is lined up in pre-shot & then stepped up to & the bridge hand placed down with the stick on it's intended stroke line with the appropriate tip offset for the intended english that is then stroked & made. ...

To me, that's "parallel english." However, as Pat has stated, in most cases it's not really parallel to the line of centers between the CB and the ghost ball.