Coronavirus and BCA Pool League World Championships

markusca

Registered
Mark,

If people are really that fearful, trust me they will cancel.

If your health issues have been going on for two years, you realistically shouldn't have signed up or at least not expect to get a refund under the circumstances. In any case, take your medicine, lose some money and cancel. Or go. I don't see that you're in the right on this issue.

My wife also has heart issues - I am the one who is fearful and wants her to not participate in things, but she is 100% gung ho. We were in the ER 3 times last week for cardioversion with severe AFIB attacks (she had catheter ablation 3 years ago and the AFIB just flared up now) yet she wants to continue with our travel plans for a Las Vegas golf outing in two weeks, Spain trip in May and Israel in August. I would gladly lose money rather than put her in unnecessary danger. She is a courageous woman and she puts me to shame.

Chris

I agree don't put your life on hold. I had the similar health issues as your wife. I had an ablation that appears to have worked fine but I am not sure I am 100%. I would go play golf. I plan to go to Europe in April if conditions stay the same. But we are talking about pool not golf there is much more intimate. Anyone that has played at this event or anything similar has seen conditions of the tables degrade for 2 weeks. If it were concerns of just a cold I would go like every other year.

The only reason I am posting here is to bring light to the lack of concern by CSI. They didn't say we are listening and addressing concerns. They didn't say we have bins of hand cleaner available to help people stay safe. They said "Nothing to be concerned about, as adults we should all know to keep our hands out of our months and wash our hands. Plus keeping our hands to ourselves saves a sexual harassment lawsuit, LOL".

Clearly they could care less about my health or anyone else that participates in the event. I am sure they have already banned me from playing CSI events now and in the future. Its cool thats mutual there are plenty of other events to compete in.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough room

I'm not here to tell anyone where to get there information from, but I certainly will be steering clear of the BCA-PL this year.

I've been around this game for more than 25 years, and I've seen some pretty bad personal hygiene in that time. Every time I go to the Derby there is some flu floating around and this stuff appears to be pretty darn contagious, plus people don't even know they are spreading it for up to two weeks sometimes.

With the above in mind, the last place I want to be is around 5000 pool players that are all touching cues, shafts, tables, chalk, and balls. Plus, you have the International players coming in form all over, so it's not worth the risk for me personally.

I honestly believe if this was a richer industry it would have been canceled, but CSI can't afford to take the hit. When they cancel events like SXSW in Austin, I think it speaks volumes. Adobe has canceled their yearly event at the end of the month in Las Vegas as well.

Good luck to anyone who makes the trip.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I agree don't put your life on hold. I had the similar health issues as your wife. I had an ablation that appears to have worked fine but I am not sure I am 100%. I would go play golf. I plan to go to Europe in April if conditions stay the same. But we are talking about pool not golf there is much more intimate. Anyone that has played at this event or anything similar has seen conditions of the tables degrade for 2 weeks. If it were concerns of just a cold I would go like every other year.

The only reason I am posting here is to bring light to the lack of concern by CSI. They didn't say we are listening and addressing concerns. They didn't say we have bins of hand cleaner available to help people stay safe. They said "Nothing to be concerned about, as adults we should all know to keep our hands out of our months and wash our hands. Plus keeping our hands to ourselves saves a sexual harassment lawsuit, LOL".

Clearly they could care less about my health or anyone else that participates in the event. I am sure they have already banned me from playing CSI events now and in the future. Its cool thats mutual there are plenty of other events to compete in.

Mark,

I feel for you - I know it's scary stuff. She has another underlying genetic heart condition causing the afib. We have an appointment with her surgeon Monday and I'm expecting another procedure.

I want to recommend something. If you don't have something like this, this portable EKG device is incredibly accurate and works with most smart phones (we have an i phone 8 and a 10). It records an EKG in 30 seconds and detects virtually any irregular heart beat. It's FDA approved and legit. I got the 6 lead version. It's small, 3 1/2" long, thin and quite light. About the size of a tip tapper.

As you know, AFIB can come and go - if you suspect something, best to take a reading. This records it and the result can be transmitted to your doctor. It's in her purse now and we were able to detect the AFIB on the spo. Best $150 I've ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQW6SD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

markusca

Registered
Mark,

I feel for you - I know it's scary stuff. She has another underlying genetic heart condition causing the afib. We have an appointment with her surgeon Monday and I'm expecting another procedure.

I want to recommend something. If you don't have something like this, this portable EKG device is incredibly accurate and works with most smart phones (we have an i phone 8 and a 10). It records an EKG in 30 seconds and detects virtually any irregular heart beat. It's FDA approved and legit. I got the 6 lead version. It's small, 3 1/2" long and quite light.

As you know, AFIB can come and go - if you suspect something, best to take a reading. This records it and the result can be transmitted to your doctor. It's in her purse now and we were able to detect the AFIB on the spo. Best $150 I've ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQW6SD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My watch found it and continues to monitor it. I also wear a 3 lead heart monitor that sends real time data to my cardiologists. But it appears at least for now I am in the clear. Thanks for the suggestion it is awakening and has been life changing. 3 years ago I would have gone to this or any other tournament if the world was literally on fire. Things change I guess.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My watch found it and continues to monitor it. I also wear a 3 lead heart monitor that sends real time data to my cardiologists. But it appears at least for now I am in the clear. Thanks for the suggestion it is awakening and has been life changing. 3 years ago I would have gone to this or any other tournament if the world was literally on fire. Things change I guess.

Every year they are making advancements and coming up with better procedures, which is highly encouraging. Good luck with yours. I am totally sympathetic.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to a daffodil festival tomorrow, sunny and in the 60's,

I was told I was going...

should it be like smell'n the roses?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Pool has a person playing another person, and you compare that to 60 or 80k fans packed in together, eating, yelling, high fiving, etc.

You also said MOST companies, not MOST tech companies.

It is not others fault you posted incorrectly.

Lastly, if you are going to source, use at least 2 different sources for information.

None of these sports are more intimate than billiards. Shared equipment always gets pretty nasty toward the end of 2 weeks. Coronavirus can reportedly live on surfaces for up to 9 days.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't hide from people or a virus. Millions and millions of people in and traveling through Las Vegas and no confirmed cases. And people touch stuff everywhere, every day, the same stuff. Canceling a trip to Las Vegas for fear of catching the virus would indeed be a vague apprehension. I applaud the efforts to fight the disease, unfortunately fighting the fear is not possible.

There weren’t any cases in Las Vegas.
There are now. I’m surprised it took so long, but the first confirmed case is most likely not the first case in Vegas. What happens in Vegas doesn’t stay in Vegas.

The graphs are pretty telling.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Last edited:

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am appalled by the complete lack of caution displayed by some members here. In my opinion CSI/BCA should cancel or postpone this event until the virus is under control. With the US under testing possible cases, it's almost guaranteed that Las Vegas will have a lot more cases than reported. This virus is statistically deadly for people older than 50 and it is absolutely justified that some people would not want to attend due to health concerns.

I understand that canceling the event might put BCA in a tough spot financially, but they will get into serious litigation troubles when someone gets sick from this event, and i'd assume that'll put them in a worse situation than just canceling the event beforehand. A lot of big conferences have already been cancelled in vegas this year and I see no excuses that BCA couldn't cancel it right now.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Western BCA 8 ball championships going on now. I have no idea if the virus thing made for an attendance drop or not. With both players handling the same set of balls, seems to me it would be a fine way to exchange germs.

Personal decision only, but at age 76 with some medical issues, I'm limiting my usual activity. My wife is entering a hospital near us on the 11th for an outpatient procedure that requires general anesthesia...I'm nervous about the waiting room. Plan on staying as far away from others as I can.

Common sense to follow guidelines being given in all the media,,,frequent hand washing, etc.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you talking about????

Pool has a person playing another person, and you compare that to 60 or 80k fans packed in together, eating, yelling, high fiving, etc.

You also said MOST companies, not MOST tech companies.

It is not others fault you posted incorrectly.

Lastly, if you are going to source, use at least 2 different sources for information.

Pool has a person playing another person??? What?/

Pool has a team of people playing another team of people. Pool has teams moving from table to table and the equipment is exposed thousands of times in a day at a tournament like this so having this discussion is a good idea if all it does is cause everyone to increase their sanitary habits...,

Virus aside, that alone in the pool world would is of un-calculated value.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Western BCA 8 ball championships going on now. I have no idea if the virus thing made for an attendance drop or not. With both players handling the same set of balls, seems to me it would be a fine way to exchange germs.

Personal decision only, but at age 76 with some medical issues, I'm limiting my usual activity. My wife is entering a hospital near us on the 11th for an outpatient procedure that requires general anesthesia...I'm nervous about the waiting room. Plan on staying as far away from others as I can.

Common sense to follow guidelines being given in all the media,,,frequent hand washing, etc.

? I thought western bca wasn't for another month
regardless, you're smart to be safe
corona is viral (and spreading), in some cases deadly, with little testing, and no vaccine
of course this is affecting work and play as usual but
what's more important than our individual/collective health?

up here in seattle, the four-day comic con at the convention center scheduled for next week just cancelled
tough one for sure, but it was undoubtedly the right decision
we might be able to help this thing cool down
by being careful and following the evidence
for ourselves, and for us all

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough call. No telling what could happen with this,but it will continue to spread.
Personal decision at this point. Don't look for a corporation to have public health interests over financial.
Send BCA an email requesting refund.
If you paid with a credit card, initiate a CHARGEBACK. Submit a supporting medical document saying you have medical issues that increase your risk of dying from coronavirus. You will win your case.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am appalled by the complete lack of caution displayed by some members here. In my opinion CSI/BCA should cancel or postpone this event until the virus is under control. With the US under testing possible cases, it's almost guaranteed that Las Vegas will have a lot more cases than reported. This virus is statistically deadly for people older than 50 and it is absolutely justified that some people would not want to attend due to health concerns.

I understand that canceling the event might put BCA in a tough spot financially, but they will get into serious litigation troubles when someone gets sick from this event, and i'd assume that'll put them in a worse situation than just canceling the event beforehand. A lot of big conferences have already been cancelled in vegas this year and I see no excuses that BCA couldn't cancel it right now.

Unless, the Vegas controlling legal authority says " ! Do Not Bring Virus 19 To Vegas , Perpetrators Will Be Prosecuted", CSI/BCA will not be in any legal trouble.

Government position is proceed with your life with caution. More caution than normal.

No News on the CSI website.

There will be a vote, "who shows up" for the same amount of prize money at stake.

Is it still a game or closer to your nascar final lap? you decide.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the maps showing where corona has been found in the US, and compare that to just a couple of weeks back, it is easy to see its spreading exponentially.

And, if you look at the calendar of pool events for the coming months it’s pretty easy to extrapolate that there’s going to be a lot of infections come Spring and Summer that are going to coincide.

My personal opinion is that everyone has to make the choice that is right for themselves, family, and friends. You got big brass ones and want to live your life to the fullest: goferit. You want to take reasonable precautions and say: hmmm, maybe next year, that is your call. But if things go the way they usually go in this sport the promoters will act in their best interests and the players will end up with the sticky end of the lollipop. If you’re counting on the tournament guys to do the right thing, I wish you well with that.

You need to do what’s best personally and if that means eating an entry fee and a plane ticket.... maybe that’s not so bad compared to a possible visit to the ICU.

Lou Figueroa

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI.....Fist bumps are healthier than shaking hands. If someone doesn't want to shake your hand before or after a match, don't be insulted. A wave or a fist bump should suffice until this situation is brought under control.

markusca

Registered
FYI.....Fist bumps are healthier than shaking hands. If someone doesn't want to shake your hand before or after a match, don't be insulted. A wave or a fist bump should suffice until this situation is brought under control.

Those are good habits. Remember every time you make that solid bridge on the pool table on day 12 you are basically shaking hands with all 5k people... You might as well shake their hand. You know the table you cleared off because the last pig team left 20 cups and crap everywhere. How about the table cloth under it that hasn't been changed since day 1?