Coronavirus and BCA Pool League World Championships

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been after my wife for 3 weeks to get extra water to stock up, she kept putting it off, so yesterday I did what I should have done 3 weeks ago , I went and got it myself,
I was at Walmart at about 11 at night and people were buying mostly supplies, not food. I looked and looked for Isopropyl alcohol and finally asked , it was behind the counter in the Pharmacy , 2.... 6 oz bottles were 7plus dollars . water that is normally 2.99 was 4.96 and there were some signs up in several places that they were out of certain supplies.
I'm not a doomsdayer but anyone that takes this virus lightly is not being realistic
Everyone I talk to has the plan, that as soon as they say on the news, that there will be a water shortage , they will fill up the bathtub or some containers etc.
By the time it is on the news , there is about a 99.9 % probability {based on the way government and news has handled our other recent emergencies since Katrina }the water will have stopped flowing, and it will be too late.
I did not buy anything {except 3 bags of candy Lol, that we would not normally buy} . To me , that just makes sense , of course if you live in a tiny container home or a dinky apartment , it's hard to store anything , but you can at least have some water for a few days under the bed in case of an emergency.
No I do not have 50 gallon drums full of oats, or rice, or pallets of toilet paper, although I did request my wife get another bundle to keep on reserve since I have been in such a crappy mood lately.......see what I did there?
I'm not going to any hospitals, or around any big crowds especially where people from other areas will be , or any of that stuff because my Immune System is compromised and even if I didn't kick off ,I might carry it back and harm my family.
So, for right now , I am sticking close and keeping an eye out and praying for the best.
When I was 20 I would have never given it a second thought , so I am not going to be a hypocrit and tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. Hope everyone stays safe and Doctor Trump is correct when he says it will die in the summer.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Those are good habits. Remember every time you make that solid bridge on the pool table on day 12 you are basically shaking hands with all 5k people... You might as well shake their hand. You know the table you cleared off because the last pig team left 20 cups and crap everywhere. How about the table cloth under it that hasn't been changed since day 1?

Pool players are absolutely the worst when it comes to leaving garbage behind. Its like they were never trained on how to use a garbage receptacle, it makes me want to punch them in the face!!!! Now that we got that out of the way.

Is Corona-virus really any worse than most influenza strains?? The flu can also be deadly to the elderly, the very young, and those with health issues. It seems like it is front page news only because it is new.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Corona-virus really any worse than most influenza strains?? The flu can also be deadly to the elderly, the very young, and those with health issues. It seems like it is front page news only because it is new.

Yes, by orders of magnitude. The WH continues to understate its effects. I will continue to play in local tourneys but i am not going through the gauntlet of the airport to play

Last edited:

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
If one is playing singles then to cancel is just a personal decision, but many of us going are committed to playing team events. Not so easy to just cancel and ruin the entire teams chance and cost friends tons of money. Still have to make your choice, but there is more than just money at stake for some. Just something to keep in mind.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless, the Vegas controlling legal authority says " ! Do Not Bring Virus 19 To Vegas , Perpetrators Will Be Prosecuted", CSI/BCA will not be in any legal trouble.

Government position is proceed with your life with caution. More caution than normal.

That's always the Gov's position-They want to keep the economy rolling. Oh and BTW-The air around the Twin towers when they came down was tested and absolutely safe according to the Govt. No reason to be worried.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone explain to me why there would be a water shortage? Water is the last thing I would be worried about. That's coming from a slightly above average but not quite REALLY above average pool player, so I'm totally qualified to give out expert advice on all virus related matters.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just move out to the woods and be a hermit or stay in the man cave playing pool.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the pool hall today while the gf was shopping in the market. They are both in the same shopping center. It was a Korean room I go to a lot. And the market was the H-Mart (Korean). We both wore masks to our destination.

I played a set with the 9 ball ghost, lost 4-7, which is pretty good for me. The mask did fog up my glasses slightly a few times, but I never had to take them off to continue shooting.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the strip club last night. Wore no mask, rubber gloves nor anything else made of rubber. Had plenty of alcohol in my mouth all night to kill all germs. Used a squirt of antiseptic when I left. The aloe was nice.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone explain to me why there would be a water shortage? Water is the last thing I would be worried about.

Panic buying can most definitely be seen at Costco. Yesterday (Friday) was busy like Christmas, but wider eyes and a lot less smiling.
People worried about shortages, create shortages.

What I really don't understand is the TP hoarding.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The thought about 5000 player hand prints on these tournament tables inspired me to
mix Lysol in with my woolite and watered cleaning cloth after vacuuming tonight.
The Lysol kind was with the purple flowers on it.

I'm also thinking if CSI would collect an additional $10 from each of the 5000 players
that show, they can keep couple of thousand as a collection fee and I'd accept the 48
large as a retainer to have the tables cleaned routinely, a couple times a day.

7 - 8 minutes tops - quick vacuum and ripe down with the special brew, 5 -10 dry out if
the air circulation is good. The place would have at least a smelly clean kind of feel.
Tables would look crisp and play fast.
I'm guessing...

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just move out to the woods and be a hermit or stay in the man cave playing pool.

The concern would then be the even more deadly hantavirus spread by airborne dust from mice feces. Then there are the brown bears, puma's, water contaminated by e-coli, hypothermia, etc.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I understand that canceling the event might put BCA in a tough spot financially, but they will get into serious litigation troubles when someone gets sick from this event, and i'd assume that'll put them in a worse situation than just canceling the event beforehand. A lot of big conferences have already been cancelled in vegas this year and I see no excuses that BCA couldn't cancel it right now.

So your daughter is getting married in two weeks. You have 200 people coming and you are footing the bill, having paid $50,000 to the vendors. You, of course, would make the judicious decision to cancel the wedding since your guests could acquire the Covid-19 virus at the wedding and die, leaving you legally responsible for their death. Let's not forget the possible murder charge.

You need to recognize hysteria when you see it. People are very scared and it's affecting their judgement. Health professionals work with deadly infectious diseases every day. They know that personal hygiene is a biggie. Even if you get sick, if you are healthy the odds are vastly in your favor that it will not be the critical version and extremely in your favor that you won't die from it.

By the way, many hospitals in California have now implemented screening and masks (optional for some) for their workers. I was in an ER yesterday and most of the workers, nurses and doctors decided not to wear the masks. They are uncomfortable.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I had a heart condition that I am just now starting to feel closer to 100%. My Dr. advises that I don't attend events like this because of the current risks and provided me with a note stating that. Most companies in the Bay Area are changing to a strict work from home policy. Almost all companies weeks ago went to a no travel policy. We have seen many events cancelled. There is talk about playing March Madness in empty stadiums, postponing the olympics, etc etc. None of these sports are more intimate than billiards. Shared equipment always gets pretty nasty toward the end of 2 weeks. Coronavirus can reportedly live on surfaces for up to 9 days.

I contacted Lisa at CSI and they share no concerns about the coronavirus. She in fact compared it to sexual harassment in an offhand joking way. They are sticking with their strict no refunds policy after February 21 regardless of any circumstances.
I basically donate my money when I attend this event yearly for the last 8+ years. I don't think I want to donate with out being able to attend. Does anyone else share concerns about attending this event?

edit: adding link to event. https://www.playcsipool.com/2020-bcapl-world-championships.html
Lisa is a dope.
I'm worried about the Expo.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What I really don't understand is the TP hoarding.

I think it's in case of quarantine. They obviously haven't mastered the garden hose, coffee can and hand technique prevalent in the middle east. Not like they can't get it on Amazon or ask a neighbor to run to the store for them.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
People are definitely acting out of fear right now. Many of them anyway. I think it's wise to take the advice of some of our best medical experts who have been commenting on this virus for some time now. In a nutshell - a mask is only recommended for someone who is coughing or is already sick, so they don't spread their germs. I'm glad to see other people wearing a mask though. I feel more protected from them that way.

What is highly recommended by almost all medical experts is the importance of washing our hands on a regular basis and not touching our hands to our faces. When I go out now I wash my hands in restaurants, after pumping gas and after any type of shopping. Simple enough. I also carry hand sanitizer with me at all times and use that if there is no convenient place to wash my hands.

I will be going to Las Vegas next week, to watch and not to play. I am driving and not flying because I definitely don't want to deal with the crowded conditions at the Los Angeles airport and sit on a crowded airplane. Heaven forbid someone is coughing on a plane sitting near you. I would demand that the flight attendants supply them with a mask to wear.

My observation is this virus is very new still and not enough is known about it yet, other than young children don't seem to be getting it and elderly people are most at risk. It is definitely spreading globally and how bad it will become is yet to be seen. The annual flu that comes around each year is still a far more deadly killer. I've caught that flu and it wasn't fun getting over it (one week in bed on antibiotics and another week recuperating).

It appears there are two strains to this new virus, one far more serious than the other. I guess the bottom line for me is that I will continue to live my life and take every precaution I can to stay healthy. I'm not ready to stay cloistered in my house all day. I do have adequate supplies of water, TP and other essentials and will carry some with me in the SUV.

The event that may well be in jeopardy on the pool calendar is the U.S. Open in April, also in Las Vegas. If this disease reaches epidemic stages in Vegas by then it will be very hard to conduct this event. I'm already doubtful many foreign players will be here next week, other than the Filipinos who are already here. By the way, my experience is that the Pinoys are very hardy people and do not contract illnesses as easily as we do. Their environment over there demands a strong constitution and they do not seem to be as susceptible to the diseases we encounter here.

Last edited:

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So your daughter is getting married in two weeks. You have 200 people coming and you are footing the bill, having paid $50,000 to the vendors. You, of course, would make the judicious decision to cancel the wedding since your guests could acquire the Covid-19 virus at the wedding and die, leaving you legally responsible for their death. Let's not forget the possible murder charge.

You need to recognize hysteria when you see it. People are very scared and it's affecting their judgement. Health professionals work with deadly infectious diseases every day. They know that personal hygiene is a biggie. Even if you get sick, if you are healthy the odds are vastly in your favor that it will not be the critical version and extremely in your favor that you won't die from it.

By the way, many hospitals in California have now implemented screening and masks (optional for some) for their workers. I was in an ER yesterday and most of the workers, nurses and doctors decided not to wear the masks. They are uncomfortable.

With due respect, your logic is flawed.

1. I don't receive payments from my guests, I don't make profits off of a wedding. If I did and they decided to ask for a refund because of a PANDEMIC concern, i'd refund their wedding "entry fee".

2. I'm not concerned for myself, I have a responsibility of other people's health around me. I know my chances of survival is high but I could infect my friends and family and other people in the community, and some of them might not survive.

3. Whether or not BCA will be legally responsible is up to the court. It's the fact that someone will sue if they caught the virus. It will drag on for who knows how long, and it takes time and money to defend yourself, let alone an organization. I don't want BCA to go through this process over something they can avoid.

4. The last point about doctors/nurses in the ER not wearing masks was purely your presumption? Did you ask them why they were not wearing masks amid a pandemic? and their response to you was "oh, it's uncomfortable"? I find that hard to believe.

I guess my gripe about this situation is that BCA refuses to refund people who have a legitimate concern over the virus outbreak. It's perfectly fine if they still want to host the event but I do think they should at least be more flexible when their members have health concerns.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
With due respect, your logic is flawed.

1. I don't receive payments from my guests, I don't make profits off of a wedding. If I did and they decided to ask for a refund because of a PANDEMIC concern, i'd refund their wedding "entry fee".

2. I'm not concerned for myself, I have a responsibility of other people's health around me. I know my chances of survival is high but I could infect my friends and family and other people in the community, and some of them might not survive.

3. Whether or not BCA will be legally responsible is up to the court. It's the fact that someone will sue if they caught the virus. It will drag on for who knows how long, and it takes time and money to defend yourself, let alone an organization. I don't want BCA to go through this process over something they can avoid.

4. The last point about doctors/nurses in the ER not wearing masks was purely your presumption? Did you ask them why they were not wearing masks amid a pandemic? and their response to you was "oh, it's uncomfortable"? I find that hard to believe.

I guess my gripe about this situation is that BCA refuses to refund people who have a legitimate concern over the virus outbreak. It's perfectly fine if they still want to host the event but I do think they should at least be more flexible when their members have health concerns.

Under no circumstances would BCA be legally responsible for somebody contracting an infectious disease just because they are holding an event, no more than you would be responsible for giving it to somebody else when attending the event. I assure you there is no court who would hear such a ridiculous claim. If a person is that fearful, they shouldn't go. I shouldn't have to mention they have liability insurance that would cover the legal expenses of such a claim.

I believe if somebody has a medical reason to cancel, they should be able to do so and receive a full refund. But I can't fault BCA for not canceling the event any more than I would fault you for not canceling your daughter's wedding. BCA has an obligation to it's participants, vendors, exhibitors and hotels to exercise diligence and not succumb to public panic. The events being canceled make the news,, while the tens of thousands of events not being canceled don't.

Ps. Yes, I did ask several ER people who weren't wearing masks why and they said they were uncomfortable. All patients were screened for fever before admission (by workers with masks) and if they had one, I assume they were isolated or masked by the staff. But other workers could get sick too although their hygiene is considerably better than the public. As the disease spreads more I expect to see more precautions.

Last edited: