more online videos (NV and HSV) now available

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted another new collection of instructional videos. I filmed the video for these clips last week with Tom Ross at the Skylark Lounge in Denver, Colorado. I look forward to your comments, feedback, disagreements, suggestions for the future, and/or questions. Here are the new clips:

FYI, all of my online instructional videos (NV and HSV) can be found here:

Enjoy,
Dave

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dr_dave said:
FYI, I just posted another new collection of instructional videos. I filmed the video for these clips last week with Tom Ross at the Skylark Lounge in Denver, Colorado. I look forward to your comments, feedback, disagreements, suggestions for the future, and/or questions. Here are the new clips:

FYI, all of my online instructional videos (NV and HSV) can be found here:

Enjoy,
Dave

The double bank zone video was useful. The others are just mildly interesting.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
videos less interesting this time

RunoutalloverU said:
The double bank zone video was useful. The others are just mildly interesting.
Thank you for the feedback. I thought some people might find some of these clips less interesting than the videos in my previous sets. I'll try to come back next time with stuff more interesting to a wider group of people. I know I can get carried away sometimes with the physics stuff; but, hopefully, some people find it interesting.

Regards,
Dave

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also really liked the double kiss video - "whew that was close!" for that last HSV clip. I liked seeing how hitting it harder beats the kiss because of the cushion compression.
Jon

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Dr Dave thats some good stuff. there are things that I think many veterans of the game know but never think about. Memory of shots are there and you use that memory with out knowing it. It is fun watching Tom explain it and it makes me understand why he is such a great instructor.

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dr_dave said:
Thank you for the feedback. I thought some people might find some of these clips less interesting than the videos in my previous sets. I'll try to come back next time with stuff more interesting to a wider group of people. I know I can get carried away sometimes with the physics stuff; but, hopefully, some people find it interesting.

Regards,
Dave

I like the direction your going in. A lot of videos, even ones that promote to be "advanced" are anything but. So it is good that someone takes the time to show some of the details of the game. I think we need a lot more advanced instruction, most instuction videos I see can barely even help decent C players. And others are just technical information that isn't applicable to actual game play. A good idea for a great instructional video series would be to show difficult game play situations and show how to break out clusters, or make the run out. A bit like the cue table layout problems in threads, only show the solutions on tape.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were all interesting. Thanks for doing these. If you're interested in suggestions, some of us straight pool guys might be interested to see how clusters come apart from various angles and speeds.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
filming ideas

RunoutalloverU said:
A good idea for a great instructional video series would be to show difficult game play situations and show how to break out clusters, or make the run out. A bit like the cue table layout problems in threads, only show the solutions on tape.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to include some stuff like this in future sessions.

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
cluster busting

bluepepper said:
They were all interesting. Thanks for doing these.
Thank you, and you're welcome.

bluepepper said:
If you're interested in suggestions, some of us straight pool guys might be interested to see how clusters come apart from various angles and speeds.
I am always open to suggestions. Thanks. NV B.19 covers some three-ball-cluster examples. I'll think about others to film.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
rail-frozen ball return

Neil said:
Here's one for you to film- in another thread, the question was asked about how to legally hit a ball frozen to the rail. The new rules state tht you can hit the object ball, and it is a legal shot if it hits the same rail after leaving the rail.

Can you film a hit on a frozen ball to see if it leaves the rail and then goes back to it on a full or near full hit???
I will add this to the list.

I didn't see the other thread. Could you suggest the best method to try to do this (e.g., type of English, approach angle, fullness of hit, speed, etc.)?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
spot-on-the-wall video

Cuebuddy said:
It is fun watching Tom explain it and it makes me understand why he is such a great instructor.
Agreed. Tom is an excellent instructor.

I was very impressed when I was filming the spot-on-the-wall video (NV B.35). I had to do a little video editing (e.g., for a couple of missed shots), but his explanations were near perfect on the very first "take." Now that I've done several video sessions with Tom, I've given him a new nickname: "first-take-Tom."

Regards,
Dave