How to elevate your game?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I find that playing pool on stilts works great. And I'm a skill level 3.14159265359, so I know what I'm talking about.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st step - read about zerox billiards and purchase his digital download.
2nd step - Thank Jimbojim

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I've tried everything that I could do for free or cheap. Then I hired a coach. The difference is invaluable. A book or DVD can't watch you shoot and see the errors you're making in your fundamentals. You may think you're doing everything correctly, until someone else shows you that you're not. And your buddy that plays a little better than you isn't going to substitute for a knowledgeable and experienced coach.

Fastrs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since your in Orange County if I was you I would hit up Ramin to give you a bit of coaching. He helped my fundamental errors.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that playing pool on stilts works great. And I'm a skill level 3.14159265359, so I know what I'm talking about.

Does this mean you have the skill level of a Pie Eater? Why would you wear "real short" Stilts, wouldn't shoes with built in lifts work...?

Last edited:

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
Since your in Orange County if I was you I would hit up Ramin to give you a bit of coaching. He helped my fundamental errors.

I had a feeling his name was familiar I looked a bit and found em with Johnny Kang who I've heard started playing APA despite seeing em play a few matches with Bustamante and the likes at Hard Times. I'll try saving up a bit for his $65/hr lessons.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I had a feeling his name was familiar I looked a bit and found em with Johnny Kang who I've heard started playing APA despite seeing em play a few matches with Bustamante and the likes at Hard Times. I'll try saving up a bit for his $65/hr lessons.

In my opinion, you're better off spending that $65/hour with Beau Runningen. He's in Pasadena. Beau is a great player and an excellent teacher. He also happens to be who I called when I wanted to get back to my fundamentals and make sure everything is square. Beau is currently my coach, and drives all the way to my house in Ventura for our sessions. I can't recommend him enough. And I'm a low A player, far from a beginner, if that gives you any reference. Any semi-skilled player can coach a beginner. It takes a skilled instructor to coach a good player.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, I purchased your "Poolology" for my tablet and I'm very impressed with the information and the way it's written. Thank You very much for spending the time it took to make such a fine method of teaching fractional-ball aiming.

I had fooled a little with fractional-ball aiming before, but your explanations give a deeper, more in-depth study to it.
Many thanks!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried everything that I could do for free or cheap. Then I hired a coach. The difference is invaluable. A book or DVD can't watch you shoot and see the errors you're making in your fundamentals. You may think you're doing everything correctly, until someone else shows you that you're not. And your buddy that plays a little better than you isn't going to substitute for a knowledgeable and experienced coach.

This is so true if I had to do it over or start my kid off , I'd go straight to a instructor , simply zero substitute

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An APA player who wants to get better? What is this world coming to?? ;)

Work on fundamentals, you'll make less mistakes. It's all about making less mistakes, weed em out until there are none.

Consistent pre-shot routine, "aim", stroke, approach to the table, patterns, the break...it all requires a ton of work. Then there's hitting a million balls (with good fundamentals) and practicing shit you don't want to practice like safeties, kicks, caroms, banks, speed control, and tons of drills related to cue ball control. Then there's mental game strengthening.

Really you just need to do everything everyone mentioned here. All of it. And get a coach to help you if you can swing it, it's invaluable. Also film yourself and watch it from time to time.

Start today and don't stop until you're smashing everyone in your league. I'd set the goal higher than APA 7 also, think bigger and that will just be a stop along the way.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An APA player who wants to get better? What is this world coming to?? ;)

Work on fundamentals, you'll make less mistakes. It's all about making less mistakes, weed em out until there are none.

Consistent pre-shot routine, "aim", stroke, approach to the table, patterns, the break...it all requires a ton of work. Then there's hitting a million balls (with good fundamentals) and practicing shit you don't want to practice like safeties, kicks, caroms, banks, speed control, and tons of drills related to cue ball control. Then there's mental game strengthening.

Really you just need to do everything everyone mentioned here. All of it. And get a coach to help you if you can swing it, it's invaluable. Also film yourself and watch it from time to time.

Start today and don't stop until you're smashing everyone in your league. I'd set the goal higher than APA 7 also, think bigger and that will just be a stop along the way.

This. All of this. Your goals should not be APA 7, they should be running out every time ;) . When the rack doesn't permit that, play a lock up safety. Cue ball control is the name of the game.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read & re-read these posts. There are actually some very good ideas presented here. I want to add one more. In all my years I've played Pool (started in 1956), I didn't have a Break Shot until 2003. I mainly played Snooker & in my time I've had more than a few Centurys. Then they sold the Snooker Table. That's when I started playing Pool for real & found out real quickly, without a good Break Shot, you're just NOT going to win.

My Suggestion is to "Pay Attention" to the first shot in every game. You'll be glad you did.