Reload this Page How do you turn the tide when you just don't "have it"
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
How do you turn the tide when you just don't "have it"
Old
  (#1)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member
dquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

How do you turn the tide when you just don't "have it" - 02-25-2020, 07:31 PM

First post. Been a lurker for a while but only in fall of 2019 have I started playing in league.

Probably been covered many times but please, be gentle on a noob.

Tonight I played my absolute worst. I knew after I lost the first two racks (8-ball) that I was in trouble.

So, how do you turn the tide? I could not "see" shots. There are only so many times you can stand back up when you know you can't see the shot. I stood up so many friggin' times tonight because I could not see a shot it was embarrassing, and was close to being called for slow play.

What do you do to turn it around? I lost EVERY RACK tonight. I missed straight shots. I made difficult cut shots. I missed easy shots left. I missed easy shots right. I was a total hot mess.

I tried going back to fundamentals: contact point; stance; stroking through the cue ball; stroking through to the contact point. NOTHING worked. I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up. NOTHING WORKED.

When faced with a couple of bad racks, what do you do to get yourself back in the game?!?

Please note I have recently been practicing and have a new mantra for me that worked very well: contact point; foot position; stance; get down on the shot; confirm contact point; align shoulder; ensure follow through to the CB to the perceived contact point. I have practiced and have been very happy with the results. But in league play tonight I couldn't make a shot to save my life.

Mental tips MOST welcome!!

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-25-2020, 08:01 PM

You just started playing in league. It will take a while to get used to it. Any new situation can throw you off.

Practice more. Don't drink during league. Keep numerical track of your progress. Understand how conditions change in the various venues. Get lessons to check on your fundamentals. Read and watch videos and figure out which are useful to you.

The idea is to lift the level of your game so the bad spots won't be as low.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Blue11
AzB Bronze Member
Blue11 is on a distinguished road

02-25-2020, 08:02 PM

One of the things I remind myself is itís a game and donít forget to enjoy it.
I was playing as a spare last night for a team and was up first. I missed 2 easy shots and got rattled. I reminded myself itís a game and didnít dwell on the shots I missed. Fortunately, I got another chance at the table and was able to run out. However, I was tentative with my stroke for the first 3 balls. I found myself fighting the pace/rhythm throughout the rest of the rack. Itís probably cliche but for the next rack, I didnít think about precise shape, but more about a general area I wanted to be in for the next shot. That helped me not over analyze the shot, speed, english, rails, cloth... and I just checked the angle, address the shot, and shoot. This helped me loosen up a bit more and eventually, the rest just came together. I ended up winning my matches.
Iíve been in the same situation before and took it more seriously/personally and I really got down on myself. During those nights, I definitely shot worse as the night progressed. Itís not easy to get out of my own head and I end up thinking about shots/racks over and over. So Iíve recently started to consciously remind myself that itís a game I like to play and have a lot of enjoyment playing it.
Not sure if this helps

Old
  (#4)
CharlesUFarley
AzB Silver Member
CharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:05 PM

I think you're on the right track with focusing on the process of the shot.

I think you were feeling pressure or some form of stage fright and you were having trouble concentrating, but you just have to keep trying. Keep focusing on your set up, alignment, swinging straight.

Really bear down on staying relaxed and focusing on the shot, not the opponent, the score, the crowd, etc.

Old
  (#5)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:20 PM

Bob Jewett has given you some great ideas. It would serve you well to invest time into doing what he said.

FWIW - we've all been there. It isn't a good feeling, but it isn't time to give up either. It is time to practice more. You'll be back in stroke before you know it.

Also - maybe check out Mark Wilson's pool clinic on YouTube.

Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter

Old
  (#6)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member
dquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. That's the strange thing. I felt very confident walking in because of my recent practice sessions. During warm up, though I knew something was off. I may have doomed myself right there. I know I should shake it off for next week, and I will. But I somehow need to figure out how to shake it off during a match.

I have traditionally been a slow starter. I have usually lost the first racks of a match, then start really clicking. But tonight, I had zero confidence I could turn it around.

I suppose it's going to be a matter of continuing to practice to hone the fundamentals and have the confidence to "stay the course" during matches.

It's funny, because I was counseled by my teammates last week that I use English too often to try to set up the next shot. Tonight nearly all my shots were neutral English, where I tried to control position strictly with CB angle and speed control. I wonder if that had something to do with getting me off my usual game. Hmmm, something to think about.

Either way, I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

Old
  (#7)
The ProRailbird
AzB Silver Member
The ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
You just started playing in league. It will take a while to get used to it. Any new situation can throw you off.

Practice more. Don't drink during league. Keep numerical track of your progress. Understand how conditions change in the various venues. Get lessons to check on your fundamentals. Read and watch videos and figure out which are useful to you.

The idea is to lift the level of your game so the bad spots won't be as low.

Thanks for the tips Bob.

I have a couple questions though.

1) I've been been in the same situation as the OP, is there anything that you would suggest trying during a match like that? Or do you just ride it out the the best you can, then try to figure it out after the match?

2) When you say don't drink during league, are you referring to alcohol, or liquids in general?

Old
  (#8)
trinacria
in efren we trust
trinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:49 PM

Cocaine, bourbon and a blowjob if you can get it.

" love this game. its the hardest game in the world, its a beautiful game and when played right, it can be poetic, artistic." me.

If you need an aiming system, you have no natural talent for the game. Sorry.

Old
  (#9)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:51 PM

Since it is league, you might try to have a couple of beers to loosen up before you play,
but if you were looking for something a little more pool related....
Some nights you step to the table and you feel alright, you're not stuffed, you're not dizzy,
you don't have a headache, and everything seems ok, then you find that you can't make a
shot to save your life. You can't make a shot, nothing is working. In all honesty it's
probably too late to do anything about it. But when I see this soon enough what I do is
start to play defense and don't even try to make a string any shots together, my object
at this point is get ball in hand. If I can get that working then I might try to string a couple
of shots together until I build a rhythm. I don't try to win games when this happens, I try
to win innings, and all that defense generally gets under their skin to a point and takes
them out of their game then I have a chance.

... or a blowjob, I thought that was a pretty good idea

Old
  (#10)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member

02-25-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinacria View Post
cocaine, bourbon and a blowjob if you can get it.
the triumvirate of pool power!!!!!!

Old
  (#11)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 08:53 PM

I'm of the opinion that you can't come up with what you haven't got. In the bottom ranks, it's all skill. So back to the drawing board. You can expect many trips here.

Old
  (#12)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquarasr View Post
Thanks for the responses. That's the strange thing. I felt very confident walking in because of my recent practice sessions. During warm up, though I knew something was off. I may have doomed myself right there. I know I should shake it off for next week, and I will. But I somehow need to figure out how to shake it off during a match.

I have traditionally been a slow starter. I have usually lost the first racks of a match, then start really clicking. But tonight, I had zero confidence I could turn it around.

I suppose it's going to be a matter of continuing to practice to hone the fundamentals and have the confidence to "stay the course" during matches.

It's funny, because I was counseled by my teammates last week that I use English too often to try to set up the next shot. Tonight nearly all my shots were neutral English, where I tried to control position strictly with CB angle and speed control. I wonder if that had something to do with getting me off my usual game. Hmmm, something to think about.

Either way, I appreciate the responses. Thanks.
What level player are you?

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ProRailbird View Post
Thanks for the tips Bob.

I have a couple questions though.

1) I've been been in the same situation as the OP, is there anything that you would suggest trying during a match like that? Or do you just ride it out the the best you can, then try to figure it out after the match?

2) When you say don't drink during league, are you referring to alcohol, or liquids in general?
For in-match, try to make sure you are accurately visualizing the shot and that you are looking clearly at the object ball with sharp focus for about a second just before you shoot (and through the shot).

Stay hydrated. I should have said that.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2020, 10:26 PM

The answer to this is hard to put into words, but . . .

Everyone who plays pool goes through this. Different skill levels have different ways of getting past it.

Many players will tell you a good pre-shot routine will get you past it. I donít believe that is entirely true. But a good pre-shot routine is a great start to getting past it. In the end, you have to let your analytical brain (brain 1) get out of the way, so your intuitive brain (brain 2) can execute the shot. Rely on a few, tried and true, pre-shot routine processes, to get brain 1 out of the way. Then make the shot.

You have to go through this process many times before you find what works. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#15)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member

02-26-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bic d View Post
what level player are you?
apa 4; us 353

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: