Lucasi cue and with three shafts

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can tell they are not LD by the ferrule. No LD shaft has had a long ferrule since maybe the first gen or two of the Predator shafts.

They looks pretty similar to each other but will likely have a different hit feel and maybe deflection properties. My Ned Morris cue came with three shafts but they all were really different, size, diameter, ferrule length, which was nice to have to try them.

As far as "needing" 3 shafts, between my son and I we probably have 10 shafts divided among a few joint types for our cues.
Yes, those are standard maple shafts. Lucasi's always came with good shafts. Often they were nicer than on some more well known customs. You can always get LD's for it if wanted.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys, for the input on LD shafts. I really don't know much about them, or what the governing principle is; is it mass, or stiffness, and why?

Thanks,

jv

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys, for the input on LD shafts. I really don't know much about them, or what the governing principle is; is it mass, or stiffness, and why?

Thanks,

jv
Just search "low-deflection shaft". Basically it what's called "shaft end mass". The more mass within the last 5-6" of the shaft is what creates cue-ball deflection. LD shafts use various methods to reduce end mass: hollowed out shaft, light ferrules, smaller diameter, lighter material(cf) etc. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/squirt/

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just search "low-deflection shaft". Basically it what's called "shaft end mass". The more mass within the last 5-6" of the shaft is what creates cue-ball deflection. LD shafts use various methods to reduce end mass: hollowed out shaft, light ferrules, smaller diameter, lighter material(cf) etc. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/squirt/

Thanks for the link. I've started reading it. Hard to wrap one's head around this, at least at first.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think the OP got a lot of cue and case for the money. A great case in good condition (not a fan of white though), and a nice-looking cue with all the shafts he will ever need. I wish I had run across a deal like that when I had bought my Lucasi back in '07.

I be willing to bet the OP's cue is a Uni-loc joint.

Nice find, jviss.

Maniac

To me, the wrap condition is a giveaway of the cue's condition and that wrap looks damn near pristine.

And for me, can't have too many shafts. I have 10+ for my diveney and they all get used. Some times the feel is better with a shaft change.

Not my style, but Agreed. good buy.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Follow-up

Thanks for all of the replies on this, guys.

So, I've had this for almost a month. It's a Uni-Loc Quick-Release joint, as far as I can tell; I'm not an expert, but looking at the Uni-Loc site, I'm pretty sure that's it.

I am also an inexperienced player, so not a good judge of cues, but it has a nice, solid feel, nice hit, for me. There are minor differences among the three shafts, which have identical, beautifully installed, layered leather tips.

I would like to learn more about it, date of manufacture (Sept. '03?), what model or line it is, and so forth. But regardless, it's a handsome cue that works well, so very happy with it.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, those are standard maple shafts. Lucasi's always came with good shafts. Often they were nicer than on some more well known customs. You can always get LD's for it if wanted.

I just logged in so I could say what I thought about the shafts, you beat me to it, good job.

I do agree, those shafts look very nice. I often see shafts on very expensive cues that are not even in the ballpark of these shafts.

Great job Lucasi, keep up the good work.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If two different shafts from the same exact brand/model and they play differently imo it is a bad production.

This is just my opinion ofcourse since I've said it, but here's my justification.

If I want to buy a new shaft of the one that I love, I expect it to play exactly the same, when my old shaft is broken or tip falls off, and I put another shaft but the same brand/type lets say predator 314, then if I inserted another predator 314 into the butt, I expect 100% for it to play the same, it is why I bought it, otherwise it is bad production and it is created by random, I don't want random, I want it to play just how I am used to.

Very simple.

and you are right by the way, there are some brands of which I won't name that if you bought three or four shafts of the same model, each one will play different and feel different and to me, as I previously stated, this means flaws in production in my book, why would it even play different, I am not into getting used to, I want it to play the same as all other shafts of the same model.

standard maple shafts from the same maker can feel a little differant.
It's wood and each shaft blank can have differant density and weight.