How long before a home table pays off?

Seth 304

Registered
I work 50 hours a week, if not more. Tack on five 96 mile round trip drives to work taking up a total of 2-2.5 hours out of the day. All that adds up to rarely getting as much table time as I used to. I'll be buying a new house soon and hopefully we can find a house with room for even a seven footer, but I keep having thoughts that it might not be worth it.

How many of you play on your table at home consistently?

I would imagine it's worth it the second you wake up, grab a Gatorade and your cue then go play pool in your underwear. lol I'll be buying my first house in about a year, my stipulation is to have a 'den' big enough for a man cave to fit a table, tv, etc. in--otherwise I won't be buying the house. haha Then with my own pool table and video games under the same roof, I can truly become a hermit.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
When are you going to have to invite me over to play

I have a home table and play almost every day on it. Definitely worth the investment. So easy to just go to it and hit some balls when you're waiting on something or have a little down time.

When are you going to have to invite me over to play - I was just passing through your town 4 days ago and wondered if you might be playing at your house.

I'm sure you remember playing on this one....the pockets are a bit large, but besides that it's pretty good. ;)

click picture

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I would add "Adjusting to playing with shoes on when you go to the pool hall".

Sounds silly until you realize that the stroke starts from the feet up.

Thank you...I'm a stickler for that one, for sure. I don't know how the women do it with high heels sometimes and sometimes not. That takes talent.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
it's awesome

let me take it a step further, you can "fit" a table in almost any space if u really want one, just get a 7 footer with ball return and jam in the corner of a room....i mean really JAM it in the CORNER, lol...so that two sides are pressed up against the wall

the amount of practice shots and fun you can still have is unreal

I've often wondered if anyone makes a table base that swivels so all sides of a table can be accessed in small areas.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
When we play a race to 100, playing league rule 8 ball, I save $22 in table fees plus I can drink a $ can of budwiser(off sale price) as opposed to tree-fiddy up the block at the VFW.Love my MAN CAVE

WARNING: No one under the age of 21 should try this race if playing One Pocket. It could be deadly.

That is all,:thumbup:

Jeff Livingston

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting post as when I bought my table back in 1988, I was interested in the same thing as the bar tables were 50 cents a game back then. I bought a couple of cheap grocery counters and kept track of how many games I played the first year, then put that total on the second grocery counter and have kept track all through the years. I traveled somewhat for my job, so it's not like I play every day and none of this 2 - 4 hours a day or 100 games a day, which I think myself is impossible for the average person. Through the years, I average 100 games a month on average. Now, at a bar table costing $ 1.50 a game, adds up fast. Checking my counter it is at 34,500 divided by 26 comes to 1,327 divided by 12 months shows an average just over 100 games a month for me. With today's prices of bar tables ( no pool halls close by ) I would say a table would pay for itself in about 3 years in table savings, but, add in the fuel, drinks, snacks, pull tabs that I don't spend in a establishment and that probably drops the purchase down to two years. I am roughly using $ 3,000 for a price on a good new table.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love having a home table. We're also moving this year and when we looked at house plans, being able to accommodate my pool table was a top priority.

Do you enjoy practicing? If so, your game will definitely improve.

That was a priority for us when we bought our first house in SC. When we had to move due to bankruptcy we were able to rent a house that could accommodate it. Then to an apartment for five years that had a 35 x 25 ft. rec room.:smile: Now we've bought what we hope will be our last house until the kid takes us to "the home" and I'm able to have it here also. Not as good a fit as in the apartment but ok. I at least hit balls some every day and always have;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you...I'm a stickler for that one, for sure. I don't know how the women do it with high heels sometimes and sometimes not. That takes talent.

Jeff Livingston

Referring to getting to used to one table that does happen, especially if you keep everything perfect. I played a guy, a room owner once. I asked if anyone was around who would play and he stepped up. Before we played he brushed the table, threw a set of balls in the ball cleaner and spent some time grooming his cue then was ready to play.

Turned out he played pretty good and I was stuck at the end of the night. The next night I came in and I think he was surprised to see me as he basked in his glory from the night before. I asked if he wanted to play some more. He says sure and begins to ask the the guys playing of the front table to get off so he could play. I said " lets play over there it's away from the door and all the people walking in and out anyway" He didn't want to and I began to shame him into it.

"What's with that, you can only play on one table"? Well we play on the table in the corner and he was a completely different player. I begin to just run over him. Finally he begs to play on the other table and I agree. It is too late anyway he doesn't recover and eventually quits. I have gone places with guys who spent more time complaining about the equipment then playing.

Man, if they tried to play in some of the places I used to go they would quit the game for good. Bad conditions never really bothered me, Heck, I used to play in places in Key West where they had the doors open and an ocean breeze would blow in across the table. You could not draw the cue ball in inch. Skidding, forget about it. it was unbelievable.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
Man, if they tried to play in some of the places I used to go they would quit the game for good. Bad conditions never really bothered me, Heck, I used to play in places in Key West where they had the doors open and an ocean breeze would blow in across the table. You could not draw the cue ball in inch. Skidding, forget about it. it was unbelievable.

Where do I sign up for that? Sounds beautiful to me. Almost like pool heaven.

You get to play pool and experience the ocean breeze at the same time... I could do that for an hour or two a day, and I wouldn't even complain about the humidity.

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
I bought a used Brunswick, Wellington for $400. Then I put new cloth and rails on it. That was another $400. The thing is I always played on Diamond tables when I went to the local pool room. The local pool room is 30 min away I might add. So I have $800 into something that still isn't what I practiced on.

My advice to you... When you buy something don't waist your time and money on something that isn't the same as you play on. Although the Brunswick I bought was nice. It still didn't have the Pro-Cut pockets and the same rails. So it lead to me Jarring Balls and my banks and kicks were off to.

I ended up buying a Diamond Pro-Am. And since then every table I play on is Elementary.. lol

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You get to play pool and experience the ocean breeze at the same time... I could do that for an hour or two a day, and I wouldn't even complain about the humidity.
If you ever see the movie "92 in the Shade" with Peter Fonda you will see one of the tables I am referring to. They shot a lot of scenes it the Cow Key Marina bar where I often used to play. The bar is on a pier and they would open huge plywood panels that were held up. Essentially you were playing out of doors.
I am talking about the 70's but I just googled it and it is still there.
http://cowkeymarina.com/
I don't see a mention of the bar so I don't know if it is still there maybe some Key Wester's will know.

I used to also play at the Raceway bar as well as the Boat bar and Capt. Tony's the real place where Hemmingway hung out. It was the the original Sloppy Joe's. Also Boca Chica Lounge on Stock island. In the 70's there was a lot of action down there.
The big player was Hector. He never left the Keys so you had to go there to play him.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a dream of mine to own my own table, unfortunately with two babies now getting a house for us isn't realistic anytime soon, but our condo has a two 5x10 snooker tables downstairs, the building is filled with elderly that rather play darts or ping pong, so im the only one that ever uses it, I practice with regular sized pool balls it's great for pocketing drills, and its only 4th floors away. But I would've loved it if they switched one of the tables for a 9ft pool table, that way I can practice more efficiently. Either way it does save me money from going to the pool hall to practice, I usually go everyday for about an hour or two.

I dream of the day when I can spend all day on my own diamond or brunswick, oh the things i would do :p

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My beautiful, quality table cost me $1300, used.

A game at a bar cost $1.

If I play 1300 games on it, I'm even (not counting travel, etc.). If I play, say, 10 games a day or equivalent, it takes only 130 days to pay off.

Then add in what the other posters have said about improved play and it becomes more than worth it, imho.

I'm going for one million balls, so a home table is a must for that goal.

Jeff Livingston

Based on what you're saying it's really worth it, if you're taking about leaving the house to go to a bar and play 1 game. lol

Banks

Banned

I played a few racks at a place in Maine that was on a pier. As usual, I started banking balls after knocking some down. So many would actually have more angle reversing off of the second rail than the angle from the first rail, it was shocking.

Although, I did have a friend that lived on the strand in Hermosa Beach and they had a table in the room closest to the patio door. I didn't know that much about pool at the time, but I don't remember it acting "funny" or anything from the proximity to the ocean. Could be the higher humidity on the East coast as opposed to the dry, sunny weather in SoCal.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Referring to getting to used to one table that does happen, especially if you keep everything perfect. I played a guy, a room owner once. I asked if anyone was around who would play and he stepped up. Before we played he brushed the table, threw a set of balls in the ball cleaner and spent some time grooming his cue then was ready to play.

Turned out he played pretty good and I was stuck at the end of the night. The next night I came in and I think he was surprised to see me as he basked in his glory from the night before. I asked if he wanted to play some more. He says sure and begins to ask the the guys playing of the front table to get off so he could play. I said " lets play over there it's away from the door and all the people walking in and out anyway" He didn't want to and I began to shame him into it.

"What's with that, you can only play on one table"? Well we play on the table in the corner and he was a completely different player. I begin to just run over him. Finally he begs to play on the other table and I agree. It is too late anyway he doesn't recover and eventually quits. I have gone places with guys who spent more time complaining about the equipment then playing.

That is definitely one of the potential dangers of playing on just a home table or any one table for long periods.

A guy's gotta get the stink off of his game once in a while and get out there and compete!

That's where additional dangers of laziness or cowardliness come in, I suppose.

Jeff Livingston