What cues are the pros using these days?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm always looking at pics of players and trying to check out their cues. I know what a couple players are using, but I'd like to know what other pros are using. Warren Kiamco had a beautiful butterfly cue at one point in time and it was nearly impossible to find it. I'm compiling a list of what pros are currently using to help AzB members find "that" cue.

Efren Reyes
Player: Cosmo EBR-501 (I believe Cosmo/Mezz are the same) - Elkmaster Tip
Break: Predator BK2

Shane Van Boening
Player: Cuetec R360
Shaft: R360 shaft, modified ferrule, Kamui Brown Medium
Break: Cuetec WCT & Meteor
Jump: Sky Jump & Bullet

Dennis Orcullo
Player: Tiger TL-3
Shaft: Tiger X Pro Low Deflection Shaft, Tiger Sniper Tip
Break: Tiger Icebreaker 2
Jump: Tiger Icebreaker 2

Darren Appleton
Player: Predator Throne
Shaft: Predator 314'2 Low Deflection Shaft
Break: Predator BK3

Karl Boyes
Player: Predator Throne
Break: Predator BK3

Mike Dechaine
Player: OB-128
Shaft: OB-1 Shaft
Break: Brown OB Break Cue

Alex Pagulayan
Player: OB Sneaky
Shaft: OB Classic Low Deflection Shaft

Earl Strickland
Player: Mike Gulyassy Custom - 70" w/ Extension
Shaft: Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Jump: Lomax

Joe Tucker
Shaft: OB Shaft

Charlie Bryant

Allison Fisher
Player: OB Cue
Break: OB Cue

Phil Buford
Player: OB Cue
Break: OB Cue

Max Eberle
Player: Pechauer
Shaft: Pechauer Crown

Thorsten Hohmann
Player: Lucasi Hybrid LHT87

Oscar Dominguez
Player: Mezz
Shaft: WX900

John Morra
Player: Fury

Need Info:
Charlie Williams
Rodney Morris
John Schmidt
Scott Frost
Danny Harriman
Ko Pin Yi
Cheng Yu Hsuan
Carlo Biado
Lee Vann Corteza
Jeremy Sossei
Jayson Shaw
Warren Kiamco
Niels Fiejen
Francisco Bustamante
Jason Klatt
Wang Can
Shaun Wilkie
Mika Immonen
Corey Deuel
Johnny Archer
Justin Hall
Justin Bergman
Skylar Woodward
Rob Saez
Chris Bartram
Shawn Putnam
Hunter Lombardo
Larry Nevel
Brandon Shuff
Joey Gray
John Brumback
Ronnie Alcano

I'm missing a ton, I know, but pitch in and I'll update this list.
This is more of an unofficial list for fun. It's always neat to know what the pros use!

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
This is more of an unofficial list for fun. It's always neat to know what the pros use!

I'm curious why it matters to you and others. The pro's could play well with most any quality production or custom cue. Many play with the cues they are given by their "sponsors" or those that are paying them to use them.

I'm curious if there's a reason behind the interest other than just "knowing what the pros use".

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious why it matters to you and others. The pro's could play well with most any quality production or custom cue. Many play with the cues they are given by their "sponsors" or those that are paying them to use them.

I'm curious if there's a reason behind the interest other than just "knowing what the pros use".

Because I want to see what the pros use, that's why. I don't see why that bothers you.

Many do play with what their sponsors give them, but many don't have sponsors. Efren was playing with a Diveney for a short time. Earl's using his mike Gulyassy javelin, but is supposedly getting a contract with Meucci (doubt it).

It's something to conversate about. Why do you think they had people asking on the TAR podcasts what Shane and Efren were using? We want to know! That's why!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an interesting question for most....IMO. It's the same with golf clubs....what driver is
Mickelson hitting......which brand putter did Dustin Johnson use on Sunday....etc.
In fact, I even think there's a section in Golf Digest Magazine "What's In the Pro's Bag"

But Dr9ball is correct in that is doesn't matter what they use to play as strong as they do.
Nonetheless, for curiosity reasons, and overall brand dominance, if any, it's a great question.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I'm more interested in who uses a low deflection shaft and who doesn't. Regardless, I don't think I'll ever give up a standard maple shaft...and I'm a young guy who has only played a few years.

forty6and2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm more interested in who uses a low deflection shaft and who doesn't. Regardless, I don't think I'll ever give up a standard maple shaft...and I'm a young guy who has only played a few years.

Same here. Would be interesting to see who uses a LD and who doesnt

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I think what cue a professional player does matter - to him. Having said that, the fact that many of the great ones play production cues shows that you don't necessarily have to buy an expensive cue to play your best.

But you still have to find the one (at whatever price) that feels right and you play best with. Dennis is a good example. He didn't start playing a Tiger cue because they offered to pay him. I recall a thread on this very subject. If I remember correctly, he was looking for a new cue (in Vegas I think it was) and found the Tiger literally at a booth, liked it, and bought it with his own money. The sponsorship with Tiger developed after that but he was already playing with their cue he had paid for.

Shane didn't go to Cuetec simply for the money. I'm pretty sure he had a lot of offers from numerous companies that he passed on because he wasn't satisfied with what they had for him to play with. He finally signed with Cuetec because he really liked the cue. There was a thread on this too.

Last edited:

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I'm interested in what equipment pros & non pros use too. And why they choose to use what they do. I know sponsor ship factors in with pros but not all the time.
I mean does Efren get paid to use a BK2? No, oh then why does he use it?
I like this thread without the negative interrogation.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in what equipment pros & non pros use too. And why they choose to use what they do. I know sponsor ship factors in with pros but not all the time.

Correct, that's my point. Efren was playing with a Diveney while he also had the EBR-501 "Efren Reyes" cue from Mezz's other company.
Scott Frost plays with custom cues and so do a lot of other pros.
To my understanding, a friend gave Shane the cuetec he plays with.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika uses a Mezz of he`s own design. Not sure if he is using the WD700 shaft or if he has switched to the new WX900.

platypus

SirBanksALotJr
Silver Member
the pro's are using whatever cue the last promotion company gave to use! wish they would give me a cue.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I really like my Z2 but I'm kinda dissapointed I haven't heard any Pro that shoots with one. Of those that do shoot with a Predator currently or in the past, it has always been the 314-2 it seems.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I really like my Z2 but I'm kinda dissapointed I haven't heard any Pro that shoots with one. Of those that do shoot with a Predator currently or in the past, it has always been the 314-2 it seems.

Alex P used too use the predator Z that's untill he got paid too use mezz cues then he went back too it the ob got him now he uses ob classic

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1

Best regards

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Because I want to see what the pros use, that's why. I don't see why that bothers you.

Many do play with what their sponsors give them, but many don't have sponsors. Efren was playing with a Diveney for a short time. Earl's using his mike Gulyassy javelin, but is supposedly getting a contract with Meucci (doubt it).

It's something to conversate about. Why do you think they had people asking on the TAR podcasts what Shane and Efren were using? We want to know! That's why!

It doesn't bother me at all. Like I said I am curious. There is no intent of negativity in my query and I apologize that my post is viewed as being negative.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
It's an interesting thread and I am sure some inquiring minds do want to know (and others could care less and that is fine)

For the ones that do care, there is some good and accurate information already posted in this thread. I can also add that:

Joe Tucker plays with an OB shaft
Charlie Bryant plays with an OB shaft
Allison Fisher plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts
Phil Burford Plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts

Hope that helps. It will be fun to see the list grow but it will require some work to keep it current and accurate. If you email some cuemakers they may be able to let you know the names of certain players and the equipment that they use (if it's their product)

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an interesting thread and I am sure some inquiring minds do want to know (and others could care less and that is fine)

For the ones that do care, there is some good and accurate information already posted in this thread. I can also add that:

Joe Tucker plays with an OB shaft
Charlie Bryant plays with an OB shaft
Allison Fisher plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts
Phil Burford Plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts

Hope that helps. It will be fun to see the list grow but it will require some work to keep it current and accurate. If you email some cuemakers they may be able to let you know the names of certain players and the equipment that they use (if it's their product)

Thanks!!! Do you happen to know what exact models/shafts they are using?