What cues are the pros using these days?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the point of this post.
Doesn't everybody know the pros use whatever cue the highest bidder makes?
Never heard of a pro who used the same cue for much more than a few months or even weeks.
In other words, when the contract expires.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of a pro who used the same cue for much more than a few months or even weeks.

See post #3.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Updated the OP

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I know Emily Duddy shoots with a Steve Klapp cue and I think a Predator LD shaft. Possibly Steve's 140 year maple.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Emily Duddy shoots with a Steve Klapp cue and I think a Predator LD shaft. Possibly Steve's 140 year maple.

I believe it's one of Steve's shafts. It's definitely a beautiful cue, if you've seen it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And for those players who say they use linen because they use a "slip stroke"....LOL that's so funny. you may use a slip stroke on a few types of shots but you won't hit the side of a barn with a dirt clod using a slip stroke all of the time on a 9' or snooker table.
Strange that you're from Motown and think slip-strokers can't play.
Corn Bread Red slipped on everything but the break and played good
on a snooker or pool table,
Freddy Salem, in his prime, was arguably the best money snooker player
in the US......Slipped all the time.
First time I saw Jimmy Moore was in Motown...this HOF'er slipped.

When ever I see a player slip, I know he's not an entry-level player.

To alleviate the high-jacking, Freddy used a 12mm Balabuska...
...Jimmy was using a Paradise.
....and Red used anything he felt like.

I wonder if Johnny Archer misses the Schon he used when he was Player of the Decade....the 90s

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a slip stroke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes...very,very quietly leave and go over to You Tube. Type in "slip stroke." View the one that says, "watch the back hand." That's a good demonstration of it. Now, whatever you do, don't come back here and ask, "Why does he do it?" I asked that question after asking your original question once and I regret it.

puertorociii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar Dominguez played with a Prewitt. I believe he still does.

Oscar had a sponsorship deal with Predator, a fellow pro pool player told him to try the new Mezz shaft WX900 and he made the switch. Told me he absolutely loves the shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yikes...very,very quietly leave and go over to You Tube. Type in "slip stroke." View the one that says, "watch the back hand." That's a good demonstration of it. Now, whatever you do, don't come back here and ask, "Why does he do it?" I asked that question after asking your original question once and I regret it.

Lol thanks for the info. I would ask the next question but with your help I won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Because NOT all pro's get sponsorship money. I'm pretty sure if SVB did NOT like Cuetech because he could not make the balls the same, he's not going to lose numerous tournaments to pick up a few extra bucks for the sponsorship.

But, this thread does show one thing, it really is the Indian and not the arrow. The best players on the planet shoot with a wide range of cues, including standard and LD shafts.

And yeah, a good thread. Next, what tips are they using :thumbup:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of threads like this should be obvious to anyone. Especially a pool player who is interested in making a living doing it as a profession. To any entrepreneur wishing to make a living manufacturing billiard products it's simply business 101. Pros can play well with any well made cue! NASCAR drivers can be competitive racing any well made/maintained car. Golfers can play well with any well made club. Naming the brand they play with creates competition among the manufacturers. The tip they use, glove, wrap etc, etc. Now there is the potential for sponsorship. Sponsorship generates endorsements; money paid to players so they can eat without stealing. The real winners are those of us, fans and enthusiasts, who for whatever reason can never compete on that stage of competition. How interesting would NASCAR be if the manufacturers were unknown? Golfers clubs, balls, clothiing were unknown? No stadiums or golf courses would be built because there would be no money to build them! Next thing you know race car drivers and golfers would be sneaking around bars and pool halls trying to hustle somone with half their talent to buy a hamburger. Come on pool players, enthusiasts; lets create more and more sponsorship and get some business folks involved in pool. You can only make money if people with money are interested in what you're selling.

Reactions: KRJ

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Rob Saez and Brett Stottlemyer use Lambros. Not sure if Brett is considered a full time pro but I know Saez is.

And Brett's lambros is a custom length...56", as I recall.

Yes, he went the other way.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hill billy

It's an interesting thread and I am sure some inquiring minds do want to know (and others could care less and that is fine)

For the ones that do care, there is some good and accurate information already posted in this thread. I can also add that:

Joe Tucker plays with an OB shaft
Charlie Bryant plays with an OB shaft
Allison Fisher plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts
Phil Burford Plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts

Hope that helps. It will be fun to see the list grow but it will require some work to keep it current and accurate. If you email some cuemakers they may be able to let you know the names of certain players and the equipment that they use (if it's their product)
Q I no you work for ob cues so I'm sure your rite, but I thought Charlie Bryant played with Jerry Oliver's cue? Thought Jerry gave him cues an sponsorship?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Because I want to see what the pros use, that's why. I don't see why that bothers you.

Many do play with what their sponsors give them, but many don't have sponsors. Efren was playing with a Diveney for a short time. Earl's using his mike Gulyassy javelin, but is supposedly getting a contract with Meucci (doubt it).

It's something to conversate about. Why do you think they had people asking on the TAR podcasts what Shane and Efren were using? We want to know! That's why!

lol, well said ;)

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an interesting thread and I am sure some inquiring minds do want to know (and others could care less and that is fine)

For the ones that do care, there is some good and accurate information already posted in this thread. I can also add that:

Joe Tucker plays with an OB shaft
Charlie Bryant plays with an OB shaft
Allison Fisher plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts
Phil Burford Plays and breaks with OB Cues with OB shafts

Hope that helps. It will be fun to see the list grow but it will require some work to keep it current and accurate. If you email some cuemakers they may be able to let you know the names of certain players and the equipment that they use (if it's their product)

When they get a cue from you, how much input do they give you as to taper, weight, ferrule, tip, etc? I have been more than happy, with the OB break shaft I use, and honestly can't think,of any change I would wan't, but have assumed pro's would have certain taper and tip preferences.