Reflection On BCA Nationals

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year was my 4th time playing in the BCA Nationals 2012,13,15, and this year 16.
After coming home from 2 weeks of being involved with BCA Nationals I have a few comments to express encompassing my experiences and conversations of some of people I have spoke with during and after the event.

The Rio-- Again this year most of the "working" staff were extremely friendly and most of the "management" staff were rude. The rooms are getting worse, they have tvs that barely work and there are holes in the carpets and walls, last year we had coffee pots but you had to pay a crazy amount for the Kcups, this year we bring our own Kcups and they ditched the coffee pots! Then after you buy a coffee or food (from inside the hotel) you cant take it with you to play pool unless you buy it in the tournament area. Their prices are too high and the food they sell is not that good. $79/129 is too high a price for the "quality" in a hotel off the strip. Price gouging at its finest. I understand that the contract is good with the Rio through next year...... I really hope after that, the tournament is moved to another location that will treat us better. Oh,ya, and the fact that the maintenance guys were running scissor lifts next to tables shaking the floor and having back up alarms go off during the 9ball matches was not cool either!!

Tables-- For the most part they all played well as Diamonds are expected to do, did see 1 table that had a slight roll off to it. Most of the tables had the "spot divit" , and could have used new spots to help remedy this. At the start of the tournament the balls were all shined up and nice, however a lot of the tables were very dirty. On Tues night the 19th,when they allowed tables to be available, after 1 hour of practice my bridge hand was almost black from chalk in the cloth, other tables were the same and some not so bad.

Refs-- Ok....first off I will say I understand that dealing with irate players all day long can be stressful. However most (not all), of the Refs I seen being called to tables near me or even once during our team match were very "dictatorlike" and rude, during the actual calling of the "hit" or in explaining the rule. This needs to be addressed through management and fixed. I did encounter 2 Refs that I had asked a question to (not during a match) and they were extremely nice and helpful. In years past I had seen more "friendly" behavior from the Refs.

Minis-- minis were good as usual, some minor issues with table assignments, but overall they ran pretty quickly and were fun.

BCA staff-- You guys and gals work hard to put this event on and I applaud you for that. Most of the staff was very friendly and willing to try to help. Overall the tournament ran pretty smooth and was good, with the exception of some late running matches, glitch with the scoresheet machine, etc... Good Job overall.
It would be good if there was a better way to "check in" players and teams prior to play aside from the never-ending line that clogs up the room. Some of the Staff seemed a little disorganized at times though with not having some things ready and with player interaction when dealing with issues. (especially a Fargo issue, the staff was clearly not interested in the topic and referred questions to the tournament desk, which referred back to the registration desk!) Also there was a minor altercation I witnessed/was a part of, in the mini room that I would like to bring attention to...... As I walked in the room there was a player arguing with someone at the desk and he began cussing and screaming, dropping F bombs at people , jumping around threatening people..... All while there are ladies and kids present in the room (kids within 10-20ft), I mentioned to him to calm down and stop cussing with kids and ladies around and his response was to start F bombing me and threatening me..... The mini lady got ahold of him,(apparently she knows him) and got him out of the room..... I asked her what that was about and the guys name, her reply was "Why?', and I told her that anyone who acts like that should not be allowed in the tournament and should be banned. She told me she has known him for years and she was " taking care of it" and that was that...to my knowledge nothing happened.... Bottom line is if CSI wants to run a respectful tournament and help grow the game with player responsibility (which I agree) then they need to take action against stuff like this.

Vendors-- Great people with great products. I make a point to buy something from at least 2-3 vendors every year even if its small items. the quality and craftsmanship of the cue and case makers is fantastic. And the repair guys work hard to give a quality tip/wrap/etc... Having Dominic (Drill Instructor) there is good as well with his classes and willingness to help people with something when asked.

Here is one that there was a lot of talk about..... Why was Vivian and other female pros, allowed to play in the platinum women's brackets? Nothing against Vivian, she is a great person I met her once, but the Platinum ,gold, silver, etc... brackets are Amateur events correct? The 8/9/10ball challenge events are supposed to be the Pro/Am events.

Ok here is the big one.....
FARGO--
Giving that this is the first year for the "new" system obviously there will be some good/bad with it...... There is a number of players who I met/saw that were way under where they should be. Obviously anytime you bring in a "handicap number" into effect you will have players who cheat the system or are just under/over ranked to start with. Also you will have players who complain about it! Under the old system if you played an "Open player and he beat you 5-0 ,6-0 you would say, "man, that guy plays well , perhaps he should be "Advanced", Now same scenario you say, "that guy is 20 points lower than me and he is cheating by not playing in the Platinum".
Before you could just THINK maybe the guy had a good day...... Now you see the number and the stats and KNOW you got screwed..... Example.... I played a guy in 9ball who beat me 6-1 only missing 2 shots.... If I broke dry or missed, he ran out then break and run next rack. he kicked out of safes with little effort making the ball or getting a hit and safe'ing me up every time. He went on to finish deep in the bracket. He was 522 had a starting rate of 400 with close to 200 games robustness. Now I have no grudge against this guy, he played extremely well and won, I do however have issue with knowing that in the system he is almost "established" and has a lower number than me but plays as well as some established 625-650 players. I could detail other matches I saw that were identical/similar but you get the point I am trying to make.
There were players who are "known" to play at platinum level with silver/gold fargo #s. This will continue to be an issue even with scores being entered into Fargo..... If a "new" player starts with a silver or Gold starting number but plays at Platinum level....it will be 2-3-4 years before they get to 200 games to be established, all the while playing in the wrong divisions and cashing deep against lesser opponents. Perhaps next year the divisions will be more evenly split so that a 525 is not playing against a 613 as well.... 50-75 point spread is more reasonable, granted it would create another division but it would make the matches more fair.

Next.... The team events..... old system... 4 "open" players 1 "Advanced" was the best team you could make for the "Open" now "Gold" division..... New Fargo system you can have 3-4 "Advanced" players and a 1-2 "open" , silver/gold level player who is unknown "New" and play in the same event...and crush it.... The 3000 limit is too high or the team event needs to be split into smaller divisions similar to the singles15/35/35/15 according to combined team cap maybe.... ??? I kinda feel bad for the 14 teams who flew/drove out to play in the platinum division...

I guess we will have to wait and see how things change for next year or participation will be down drastically .... it is already declining each year. The reasons for this vary from talking to people, but the most common things are, the time of year,(there were over 600 teams in "Open" the years before the event was moved to July and now there are slightly over 400... ( Next year may be lucky to get 350.).., and The Rio with the high prices etc... And now ALOT of players are not trusting the Fargo system. With a drop in team/player counts comes the lack of prize funds and the vendors will start pulling out since they wont sell enough to cover their expenses. I really hope things change for the better.

So there it is ...... any thoughts from other players?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hey Captain, nicely said! Didn't stay at the Rio during the event. Remember, some of the room rate is rebated to the promoter. Common practice. Agree the prices are out of line. Didn't try the food at all after last year. The door nazi's are rediculous. Of the events I attend, only the ACS allows outside food and beverage.

Most people missed BCAPL allowing Ron Wiseman to play in the Senior Platinum event. He won of course. His 719 Fargo should have been a red flag. Used to be a statement of "known ability" barring players like him. Amateur events? Hardly.

My interaction with the ref's was different. Each of the ref's I interacted with were business like. Each went out of their way to explain the rule and the result. Can not call them friendly. That is not in their job description. Professional is more like it. Guess I was lucky! Didn't play the team event but my former team did. The Fargo on some of the teams I watched was almost hilarious. Players slightly over 500 rating who appeared to play over 600. Yeah, yeah they were just lucky. Honestly, I do not want to know how good (or bad) my opponent is. Only want to know if they are qualified to be in the division I'm playing in.

Guess the important question is are you going back again next year? Well are you?

Lyn

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Mr. Wiseman is definitely in the category of "known"...

As for next year......we shall see...

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts in green italics.

This year was my 4th time playing in the BCA Nationals 2012,13,15, and this year 16. I've played the exact same 4 years as you.

The Rio-- Again this year most of the "working" staff were extremely friendly and most of the "management" staff were rude. The rooms are getting worse... The upkeep on the rooms does seem to be going downhill. The Rio is a dump, but it's still leagues better than the Riv.

Then after you buy a coffee or food (from inside the hotel) you cant take it with you to play pool unless you buy it in the tournament area. Their prices are too high and the food they sell is not that good. $4.32 for a 20oz bottle of Pepsi? The food/drink prices in the tournament area are a joke. At least most of the bartenders poured 'em stiff.

$79/129 is too high a price for the "quality" in a hotel off the strip. At least we didn't get charged the ludicrous "resort fees" that most hotels in Vegas charge. As a consequence though, we didn't get free wifi in the rooms and couldn't use the gym. Those two things are hardly worth the $29 fee however.

Tables-- For the most part they all played well as Diamonds are expected to do, did see 1 table that had a slight roll off to it. Most of the tables had the "spot divit" , and could have used new spots to help remedy this. At the start of the tournament the balls were all shined up and nice, however a lot of the tables were very dirty. The tables were ABSOLUTELY filthy.

Refs-- It's a thankless job, but there has to be some efforts made to address some of the refs' "beside manner"..

Minis-- minis were good as usual, some minor issues with table assignments, but overall they ran pretty quickly and were fun.

BCA staff-- It would be good if there was a better way to "check in" players and teams prior to play aside from the never-ending line that clogs up the room. The check in process was horrible. This needs to be looked at and improved.

As I walked in the room there was a player arguing with someone at the desk and he began cussing and screaming, dropping F bombs at people, jumping around threatening people..... Thank goodness I didn't witness anything like that.

Vendors-- Great people with great products. I make a point to buy something from at least 2-3 vendors every year even if its small items. the quality and craftsmanship of the cue and case makers is fantastic. And the repair guys work hard to give a quality tip/wrap/etc... Having Dominic (Drill Instructor) there is good as well with his classes and willingness to help people with something when asked. The vendors always offer lots of good stuff at good value.

Here is one that there was a lot of talk about..... Why was Vivian and other female pros, allowed to play in the platinum women's brackets? This is a valid question. A friend of mine with a 565 Fargo is practically donating in this tournament.

Ok here is the big one.....
FARGO--
Giving that this is the first year for the "new" system obviously there will be some good/bad with it... This will get better with time. I do agree that there should be more bands though.

So there it is ...... any thoughts from other players?

You've pretty much nailed it.

Taek

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people missed BCAPL allowing Ron Wiseman to play in the Senior Platinum event. He won of course. His 719 Fargo should have been a red flag. Used to be a statement of "known ability" barring players like him. Amateur events? Hardly.

Lyn

No worries buddy. I got the solution. Come November when we start playing at Cue Club again, you just need to designate yourself as Lyn Jr or Lyn Sr.....you can be Dr. Lyn if you choose. Head back to the Rio next year with your provisional 525 rating and I'll be betting all my money on you!!! LOL It was good to see you at the event.

Corvette Alan

Registered Screwball
Morning Bump to bash the Rio.

Substandard rooms, inattentive management, everything overpriced and food Nazis!

CSI - Good job. lots of hard work was done. Great tourney.

Hey Cap'n, Nice post. I agree.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coffee in the tournament room cost $3.21 for a cup of coffee. That was not the biggest price gouge. I feel most ridiculous was that they were charging over 2 bucks for a banana.

I found the tournament staff and refs to be friendly and professional.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Captain,

Forgot the most important things. Spoke briefly with Mike Page. As others have stated, he appears to be a good guy trying to do something nearly impossible. Explained to him my situation. He asked to discuss it at a later time which unfortunately did not happen. Also wanted to know why, if Fargo is sooo accurate, why are there separate mens and womens divisions? We all should play together. Correct?

Also wanted to know how a player who is in the MIDDLE of a bracket (my 662) gets to play in a lower bracket without "sandbagging". I'm 72. I'll be stuck in the Platinum division whether "open" or "seniors" essentially for the rest of my playing life at the BCAPL event. There are hundreds of other players in my position. Doesn't matter which division you discuss, the same problem exists. Until they offer a solution to that one problem, why should I / we continue to support an event in which i / we have no chance to win. Even staying at the house in Vegas, I still spent nearly $1000 to play. There in a nutshell is my plan for next year.

Lyn

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
the fact that the maintenance guys were running scissor lifts next to tables shaking the floor and having back up alarms go off during the 9ball matches was not cool either!!

I had to leave the State tourney when the trucks backed into the arena as the finals were being played, as the room filled with diesel smoke and fumes. Right next to the junior finals!

To me, this is not only very unhealthy, but about as disrespectful as it gets. Imagine Tiger teeing off while a mower was trimming the tee box at the same time.

Thanks for the info, guys. Poor Vegas, once a near perfect place turned into a cheap Disneyland. Here's to things getting better next year (go cubs).

Jeff Livingston

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lyn....
I agree that the problem is across divisions. I am real curious to see how the numbers change across the board once the scores are entered. I realize that it will probably take awhile, considering the amount of data that needs to be entered from this tournament along with data that still has not been entered.
I did not get a chance to speak to Mr Page but .... I'm sure he is working hard and from his posts on here it seems as if he is devoted to trying to make the system work and answer questions.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cardiac kid: can you explain the problem you describe in your second paragraph. I just don't get what you're saying.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Captain,

Forgot the most important things. Spoke briefly with Mike Page. As others have stated, he appears to be a good guy trying to do something nearly impossible. Explained to him my situation. He asked to discuss it at a later time which unfortunately did not happen. Also wanted to know why, if Fargo is sooo accurate, why are there separate mens and womens divisions? We all should play together. Correct?

Also wanted to know how a player who is in the MIDDLE of a bracket (my 662) gets to play in a lower bracket without "sandbagging". I'm 72. I'll be stuck in the Platinum division whether "open" or "seniors" essentially for the rest of my playing life at the BCAPL event. There are hundreds of other players in my position. Doesn't matter which division you discuss, the same problem exists. Until they offer a solution to that one problem, why should I / we continue to support an event in which i / we have no chance to win. Even staying at the house in Vegas, I still spent nearly $1000 to play. There in a nutshell is my plan for next year.

Lyn

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that unless you're allowed to play in a division where you (or whomever) is the clear favorite then you aren't really interested in playing? What you've described here is the majority of people. At what point then is the bracket that people have been allowed to "drop" into become so saturated with better players that it's the same and now you are not the favorite?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understand you correctly, are you saying that unless you're allowed to play in a division where you (or whomever) is the clear favorite then you aren't really interested in playing? What you've described here is the majority of people. At what point then is the bracket that people have been allowed to "drop" into become so saturated with better players that it's the same and now you are not the favorite?

The way the brackets were this year, the top players had a 2-1 advantage over the players at the bottom of the bracket. I believe Lyn is saying that he will never be one of the top players in the division and always in the highest division. The players at the bottom of the bracket may be at the top of a lower bracket in the next year. If you are in the middle of a bracket, that is where you will be in the future. Those players have basically no chance of going through a field of players who are rated 50+ points above them.

Fargo is supposed to be about game spots but those aren't being used at Nationals. This favors the top players even more.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

jojo.

Where did you get the idea I want to be the clear favorite?. I want a fair OPPORTUNITY to win. Or at least to do well. Before this year, if you did not CASH in a given number of years, BCAPL would allow a player to drop to the next lower division so they had an opportunity to win or cash. There is NO such mechanism now. I'm 72. If I drop 30 points a year for the next two years, I might, MIGHT drop to the senior gold. By them I'll be 75 still playing 50 year olds. Don't care about the Fargo line that only the numbers count. I can see my game slipping away. My eyesight and stamina are not there anymore.

Even though it is really nothing you need to know, I played in the old super senior division three times during my years of elgilibility. First year I cashed in the last position. The second I failed to cash. Two years ago I finished 7/8. I was thrilled! Last year BCAPL barred players like me from the SS so I played in the Masters 8 ball. Went out one two. Petitioned BCAPL to drop me to Advanced and it was granted. Then came Fargo.

Perhaps you can answer another question as to how a player can drop significant numbers in a year. Do you want me to miss intentionally? How about lose intentionally? Sounds like APA or TAP not BCAPL! Remember jojo, there are hundreds of current players in the middle of the Fargo brackets. Not just me. How many of them are going to continue to play BCAPL Nationals when they have no chance? The numbers have dropped significantly for the last few years. How long can the event continue under these circumstances?

Lyn

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Even staying at the house in Vegas, I still spent nearly $1000 to play.

Lyn

I got second in Gold Teams - payout $5500 for the team. 6 players = $916 each. $400 flight. $250 for hotel. $2 for a banana each day. $2 for the smallest bag of chips you could find to sell. etc etc Not sure I broke even.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way the brackets were this year, the top players had a 2-1 advantage over the players at the bottom of the bracket. I believe Lyn is saying that he will never be one of the top players in the division and always in the highest division. The players at the bottom of the bracket may be at the top of a lower bracket in the next year. If you are in the middle of a bracket, that is where you will be in the future. Those players have basically no chance of going through a field of players who are rated 50+ points above them.

Fargo is supposed to be about game spots but those aren't being used at Nationals. This favors the top players even more.

I see what you're/Lyn is saying now. I misunderstood. All I'd ever done was play in the Open & usually cashed(not very high) but even if I didn't I had no interest in going to the Leisure. But I could see if I was playing in the Masters and not cashing wanting to play in the Advanced.

But doesn't moving people down only then screw the people in that lower bracket? If a division is for 525-625 and a 662 is dropped in there then they are the clear favorite & now the 525's have even less of a chance. I see what you're saying but think it's a never ending problem. I'm the furthest thing from a BCA/Fargo proponent but not sure I disagree with their take on this.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I got second in Gold Teams - payout $5500 for the team. 6 players = $916 each. $400 flight. $250 for hotel. $2 for a banana each day. $2 for the smallest bag of chips you could find to sell. etc etc Not sure I broke even.

Hey Steve,

Congrats to you and Teachers team. The year my Vegas team finished second in the Open (2012), we got $9000 divided by 7. Actually made a small profit which was nullified my paying the taxes due :grin: . Regardless you and your team did great!!!!!

Lyn

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you're/Lyn is saying now. I misunderstood. All I'd ever done was play in the Open & usually cashed(not very high) but even if I didn't I had no interest in going to the Leisure. But I could see if I was playing in the Masters and not cashing wanting to play in the Advanced.

But doesn't moving people down only then screw the people in that lower bracket? If a division is for 525-625 and a 662 is dropped in there then they are the clear favorite & now the 525's have even less of a chance. I see what you're saying but think it's a never ending problem. I'm the furthest thing from a BCA/Fargo proponent but not sure I disagree with their take on this.

My main point was it is never a good situation for players who are in the middle of the bracket. They simply will stop playing. They aren't wanting to be moved to a lower bracket. They just want to be competitive in whatever bracket they are in. I think that is what most people hope for when they spend 1k to play in a pool tournament.

I would think there would be less of an issue if BCA decided to use game spots within each of the divisions. That way nobody is completely getting shafted. The better players will still win most of the time but they will have to play their A game to do so. I am fine with handicaps as long as they are reasonable and the player who wins had to play well. It is hard to watch someone play terrible and still win because they were such a huge favorite in the first place and it wasn't a fair spot.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It still just sounds to me like people are being more accurately placed in divisions. Maybe more people would have a chance if they had more but smaller divisions. It seems like they've got some massive divisions and some small ones. But then the payouts would of course decrease.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jojo.

Where did you get the idea I want to be the clear favorite?. I want a fair OPPORTUNITY to win. Or at least to do well. Before this year, if you did not CASH in a given number of years, BCAPL would allow a player to drop to the next lower division so they had an opportunity to win or cash. There is NO such mechanism now. I'm 72. If I drop 30 points a year for the next two years, I might, MIGHT drop to the senior gold. By them I'll be 75 still playing 50 year olds. Don't care about the Fargo line that only the numbers count. I can see my game slipping away. My eyesight and stamina are not there anymore.

Even though it is really nothing you need to know, I played in the old super senior division three times during my years of elgilibility. First year I cashed in the last position. The second I failed to cash. Two years ago I finished 7/8. I was thrilled! Last year BCAPL barred players like me from the SS so I played in the Masters 8 ball. Went out one two. Petitioned BCAPL to drop me to Advanced and it was granted. Then came Fargo.

Perhaps you can answer another question as to how a player can drop significant numbers in a year. Do you want me to miss intentionally? How about lose intentionally? Sounds like APA or TAP not BCAPL! Remember jojo, there are hundreds of current players in the middle of the Fargo brackets. Not just me. How many of them are going to continue to play BCAPL Nationals when they have no chance? The numbers have dropped significantly for the last few years. How long can the event continue under these circumstances?

Lyn

Re 1st paragraph. What was the variance in Fargo for your bracket? I'm curious how unfair it actually was.

To the emboldened:
All I can say is that I don't believe everyone thinks like you. I didn't go this year but had been the previous 6-7 years. I probably had no chance at winning the open but I'll be damned if I thought that way. I went because if I got in stroke at the right time and got a couple rolls I could beat anyone in that division (maybe not actually true but didn't matter). I, personally, believe many people think that way and will continue to attend.

I know the numbers have been down the last several years but I don't believe anyone can be sure the reason you give here is the only reason for that. The move to the Rio and the event in the middle of flippin July have also probably turned people away.