Music or Silence?

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's just me but I like music playing in the back ground when I'm playing. The room we have started to frequent on the weekends has one of those money hungry music boxes on the wall but few dump in the cash, myself included.

< rant >
Those boxes are a total rip off, IMO. Pump in tons of money and they always seem to cut the songs short. Also, by the time I have selected all of the songs two have already played :angry:
< / rant>

Anyway, it's like playing in a library most of the time, even when the tables are full! Do you like to have some music playing or do you prefer the library effect?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously? you have to pay to hear music?
Music is part of the package and in these days of youtube and spotify the cost of playing music in your establishment is negligible.

dakraljic

Banned
I enjoy playing when the good music is on !!!Nothing better to this.
I prefer blues and county !!!!
:smile::smile::smile:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I'm a headphones guy. For multiple reasons. First, sometimes there is music where I play and sometimes not. Sometimes the music is bad and I'd rather listen to my own. I find bad music distracting( I know musical taste is subjective and not everybody wants to hear what I'm listening to either). Secondly, my nine ball team is a group of old friends. Some of us graduated high school together. There is a great deal of ribbing and smack talk that takes place and the headphones also block this out. I listen to music on my phone and they have actually taken to texting their smack talk. Once while in a break and run I had to ignore 7 texts. Now that I have an iPhone it has a do not disturb function and I don't get those texts til after the match.

But yes, my team and I all like having the music play. One guy will just hand you a ten dollar bill and say "go play something, I don't care what it is as long as it's not quiet".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Music is part of the package and in these days of youtube and spotify the cost of playing music in your establishment is negligible.

But how much does is cost to not bring in more money?

What I hate about the music boxes is when they play a song to get people to put $ in, and it is quiet before and after. The volume is invariably cranked to an obscenely intrusive level and it usuially makes a few people pee their panties.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm to the point where I prefer silence, because 1. All too often playing music isn't enough unless it's loud enough to make your ears bleed, and 2. There's too much disagreement in musical taste - how many people do you know that don't care if it's gangsta rap or hillbilly country or death metal or teen pop, it's all just "music?"

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm probably in the minority, but I think music is overused in public.
I LOVE IT when I find a restaurant where there's no music.
People in general get antsy in silence and will start whistling, humming,
and making small talk just to fill it.

It's like business owners are insecure,
"if we don't play music people will think it's weird and won't come here!
We HAVE to play SOMEthing! Even if everyone hates it!"

My feeling is, in any given room full of people, someone is going to dislike
what's being played. Maybe even a majority of the customers.
People who say they can't stand a quiet pool room and just want some music,
actually mean "I just want some music I like".

So why not stop actively irritating some of your customers, and try a little peace and quiet?

The people who are uncomfortable with quiet, at least will be getting a better deal
than the people who are forced to listen to stuff they can't stand.

I don't mind pool rooms trying to make money with e.g. touchtunes but the pricing
on it sucks. These days you can legally own a song for a dollar and play it unlimited times.
Touchtunes wants to charge you a dollar to hear it once, unless you happen to like
one of the 5 songs that don't require a search. Then it will cost you a dollar to hear it twice.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It depends what you call music. I side more with Double D & Creedo. The thunk, click, pop can be beautiful music too.

The hall I now frequent is really nice with good conversation, etc

But it also has a young clientele, which is good & probably necessary to keep the doors open. But when they play certain music, the atmosphere goes to a different level & it is not up.

I like all types of 'good' music. But music has it's place in society & like Creedo said, it is overused.

Classical music can be soothing & good for one's timing. Try it at home & see.

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dollar a song is a rip off I don't need and since this isn't about just what I like to listen to the answer has to be silence.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The music does not bother me, although not having it would make me just as happy. What I really dislike and do not understand is why it has to be so loud. None of the bars where we play league could come close to being considered a dance type of place or are they hip & young type places where people come to listen to music. In fact, for the most part if it wasn't for our league being there on that particular night there would not be more than a handful of people, I don't understand why they choose to play the music so loud you need to yell to talk to the person next to you.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Someone is always playing the juke box at the Flamingo, if it is too loud, we have a switch to turn off the speakers in the front room where the Gold Crown is, then you can stii hear the music, in the background.:thumbup:

Banks

Banned
Play some music, I ain't old yet.

My hangout has a quarter jukebox with actual CDs.

Half of the time, when I do play something, I completely miss the song out hear a verse and end up tuning it out when I focus on something else. I just like background noise and once in a while something to groove to. Gimme some country, metal, rap, classic rock, punk, blues or just about anything.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
If Im out shooting by myself... I wear headphones...

If I'm out shooting in competition... I wear headphones or sometimes nothing, depends on my mood and who I am playing.

If I'm home shooting by myself I have the radio on or a movie in the background, but the movie is something I have already seen as I dont want my attention to be drawn away from the table.

I will never give money to a jukebox.

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not disagreeing with you about the newer options for playing music in your establishment, BUT, and most people don't know this, you still have to pay the music companies money for playing ANY music in a venue. My parents own a few restaurants and no matter what the source of our music(spotify, ipod, cd's, radio, etc) is we still have to pay, I think its twice a year, fees to a company called BMI. They collect fees from establishments and then pay *SOME* of that money back to the bands. They do not know or care what kind of music you play but by god if you play one of the songs they own the license for and are not paying their fees, you are going to get fined out the ass.

They basically look at it as you "selling" their music as a form of entertainment in your establishment. They are going to charge you for this "privilege". Technically you could play only non-licensed music and be alright without paying any fees, but 99% of that music blows complete ass, and as I said earlier if you get caught playing even just one of the BMI licensed songs "illegally" you are going to get fined big.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
But how much does is cost to not bring in more money?

What I hate about the music boxes is when they play a song to get people to put $ in, and it is quiet before and after. The volume is invariably cranked to an obscenely intrusive level and it usuially makes a few people pee their panties.

I walked in the room. It wasn't the music. Also, that wasn't pee that made those panties wet.... ;)

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not disagreeing with you about the newer options for playing music in your establishment, BUT, and most people don't know this, you still have to pay the music companies money for playing ANY music in a venue. My parents own a few restaurants and no matter what the source of our music(spotify, ipod, cd's, radio, etc) is we still have to pay, I think its twice a year, fees to a company called BMI. They collect fees from establishments and then pay *SOME* of that money back to the bands. They do not know or care what kind of music you play but by god if you play one of the songs they own the license for and are not paying their fees, you are going to get fined out the ass.

They basically look at it as you "selling" their music as a form of entertainment in your establishment. They are going to charge you for this "privilege". Technically you could play only non-licensed music and be alright without paying any fees, but 99% of that music blows complete ass, and as I said earlier if you get caught playing even just one of the BMI licensed songs "illegally" you are going to get fined big.

Having owned my own retail business in the past I can confirm this. They wanted money for playing local radio in my furniture store.

I do agree with the "you can't please everyone all of the time" comments and the music is often too loud but I would still, personally, rather have some background music than silence. I often hear songs/bands/etc I have never hear before that I end up liking, but it's more rare than I would like :)

Thanks for all of the comments.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm practicing a difficult drill at home I've noticed i get in a groove better with music on then not. And I miss more with the TV on. With the TV on (eg watching a pool match streamed to my Apple TV from YouTube) I glance at the TV enough that it prevents me from getting into a groove.