Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mezz United joint Pin???
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Okies. You lost me on the .312 reamer on a .312 screw. It's all good.
I use a reamer on 5/16-18 inserts when fitting shafts for Viking cues with their slightly oversize pin.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#17)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
I use a reamer on 5/16-18 inserts when fitting shafts for Viking cues with their slightly oversize pin.
That better be some .360"+ screw.

Old
  (#18)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
That better be some .360"+ screw.
I don't remember the measurement right now, but I have to bore out quite a bit of material from the regular brass inserts before I ream. I think Viking wants $12 for the inserts, that's not gonna happen...

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#19)
jollysailor
AzB Bronze Member
jollysailor is on a distinguished road

06-15-2017, 08:24 AM

After looking at some of the sharing, I went ahead to try boring and modifying the 5/16-14 brass insert. I was a little skeptical if the tool bits will be able to do the job. But I approached it slowly and thin passes.

Well, thank you guys for the sharing. Managed to modify the brass insert to fit the United pins now. Can continue with some of the jobs!

Old
  (#20)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollysailor View Post
After looking at some of the sharing, I went ahead to try boring and modifying the 5/16-14 brass insert. I was a little skeptical if the tool bits will be able to do the job. But I approached it slowly and thin passes.

Well, thank you guys for the sharing. Managed to modify the brass insert to fit the United pins now. Can continue with some of the jobs!

What size you bore it to?

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#21)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
I don't remember the measurement right now, but I have to bore out quite a bit of material from the regular brass inserts before I ream. I think Viking wants $12 for the inserts, that's not gonna happen...

Just did one for a Viking quick release. o.d. on the barrel was .260. o.d. on the threaded part was .310. I used a G drill and a .308x18 tap. Very good fit. Next time I might try a 6.6mm drill bit.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Last edited by Michael Webb; 06-15-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Old
  (#22)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Just did one for a Viking quick release. o.d. on the barrel was .260. o.d. on the threaded part was .310. I used a G drill and a .308x18 tap. Very good fit. Next time I might try a 6.6mm drill bit.

Just run a 17/64 drill in and then just run a 5/16-18 GH-3 tap in to clean it out.

Easy.....
This is to fit a Viking.

Old
  (#23)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

Just run a 17/64 drill in and then just run a 5/16-18 GH-3 tap in to clean it out.

Easy.....
This is to fit a Viking.

Easy, Yes Sir. but to big for my liking.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#24)
jollysailor
AzB Bronze Member

06-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
What size you bore it to?
Hello Michael,

Based on the measurements on my calipers, the ID was bored to .27" and the pilot was turned down to .483". I am not sure if these are the ideal measurements to work to, what I did was to measure the minor diameter of the United Pin and the ID of the groove on the joint collar and worked to the stated measurements on the brass insert. So far it fits alright! =)

Old
  (#25)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Hello Michael,

Based on the measurements on my calipers, the ID was bored to .27" and the pilot was turned down to .483". I am not sure if these are the ideal measurements to work to, what I did was to measure the minor diameter of the United Pin and the ID of the groove on the joint collar and worked to the stated measurements on the brass insert. So far it fits alright! =)

Hi JS
If it doesn't have a sloppy wiggle when you screw it together, then you did well. If it's sloppy then I would try a 6.6mm, G or lastly 17/64 in that order. Better fit is a better product. For Mezz, I still do the F drill but I'm fortunate to have multiple taps for the 5/16x14.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#26)
jollysailor
AzB Bronze Member

06-19-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Hi JS
If it doesn't have a sloppy wiggle when you screw it together, then you did well. If it's sloppy then I would try a 6.6mm, G or lastly 17/64 in that order. Better fit is a better product. For Mezz, I still do the F drill but I'm fortunate to have multiple taps for the 5/16x14.
Michael,

Thank you for the valuable piece of advice. I will take note for the future. Tested the fitting earlier, it was good! All thanks to the sharing and support here. =)

Old
  (#27)
CuesRus1973
AzB Silver Member
CuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Just had some brass inserts come in but the united pins could not even go into the inserts which were 5/16-14. Probably due to the difference in the minor diameter. If the brass inserts come with a slightly bigger minor diameter, they may probably fit.
If that is the case, the 5/16-14 insert can be reamed and chased again with a tap and should work.

Keepin' the rubber side down...

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: