Thinh kent , straight rail run of 944, without the rail nurse

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things: while impressive that looks more boring than watching paint dry(just my $.02 worth) and secondly, and please excuse my billiard ignorance, what is a rail nurse?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Two things: while impressive that looks more boring than watching paint dry(just my $.02 worth) and secondly, and please excuse my billiard ignorance, what is a rail nurse?

Its even more boring way of scoring
so you shouldn't worry much about it

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Something that america is credited for creating

The serie american, as they say in asia
americana,
American position, for europe

The rail nurse as we called it
The most effective way to score in straight rail

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
His control over all 3 balls is extremely impressive. It's hard to believe there was ever high level straight rail competition when this type of play is possible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His control over all 3 balls is extremely impressive. It's hard to believe there was ever high level straight rail competition when this type of play is possible.

Why do you think it died? Seriously, i know a guy that once held the GWR for stacking golf balls but would anybody wanna watch it? I get the precision to run all these but still would never watch anyone do it. 3cushion? Hell yeah. I'll watch that for hours but not this "nurse-a-thon".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His control over all 3 balls is extremely impressive. It's hard to believe there was ever high level straight rail competition when this type of play is possible. ...
It took people a long time to figure out the techniques he is using. The equipment was improving while the learning was going on. English billiards (a three ball game on what most would call a "snooker" table) was nearly in its present form by 1800 but it took until about 1910 for anyone to get good enough at the rail nurse on that table that they had to restrict scoring. In the US, the solution was to go to balkline.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you think it died? Seriously, i know a guy that once held the GWR for stacking golf balls but would anybody wanna watch it? I get the precision to run all these but still would never watch anyone do it. 3cushion? Hell yeah. I'll watch that for hours but not this "nurse-a-thon".
It's more interesting to watch if you play it some yourself. You see positions you have a problem with and see how they solve it. But if a good player gets the rail nurse going, it's not too interesting.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Its only dead in the usa

South america, all of europe and asia still have very high level players

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was using a form of a rail nurse, using the side rails to bring one ball back and re-establish all three balls close together, then a couple of very soft scores, then sending a ball to the rail, using stab draw to score, and speed control to bring the side rail ball back close for another two soft points, rinse and repeat.

It was a fine exhibit of speed and cue ball control, and his stab-draw was responsible for many of the points. He was also using a short cue on a short table.

Once, maybe twice when the balls got widely separated, he was able to get them back together. But what ended his run was ball separation. At the end, with both balls far apart, his scoring run was over quickly, about the same average of 3 in a row one encounters in 3-cushion.

This was mostly an exhibition of high scoring using a different variety of rail nurse. Nevertheless, an impressive exhibition for those who play this sport, though after watching awhile I could only watch by jumping forward every few minutes, so I could have missed a lot. If 900 runs become common, even 500, look for something to change - no opponent wants to sit for two hours awaiting his turn.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
. If 900 runs become common, even 500, look for something to change - no opponent wants to sit for two hours awaiting his turn.

Its a 9ft table, many more 9 than 10fters in vietnam
Most carom cues are 56 inches, even 54 which ive owned and really like

Not even i will watch the entire thing, no need
But i will watch atleast half

The mental fortitude to keep focus like this for so long is most impressive

They have
Competition games are to 400

Where they play the best carom in the world
In europe once you achieve this level you move to a harder version known as balkline 47.2, then 71.2 and 47.1. Each game harder
Then 1 cushion and 3c

Balkline is usually to 250 points or 200
And even there they can run out in a single inning in 47.2
Putting alot of pressure on the opponent

(For balkline 71.2 and 47.1 its far less common to run out in 1 inning, the games are so tough so demanding and all most can say is they are boring, please )

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Not all move to 3c, there are classic players
Those that play all balkline straight rail and 1 cushion

Some of the elite 3c players also still compete in balkline and 1 cushion

Some play all games and nothing exclusive

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
It took people a long time to figure out the techniques he is using. The equipment was improving while the learning was going on. English billiards (a three ball game on what most would call a "snooker" table) was nearly in its present form by 1800 but it took until about 1910 for anyone to get good enough at the rail nurse on that table that they had to restrict scoring. In the US, the solution was to go to balkline.
Thank you. That's what I was wondering and pretty much what I suspected.

Also, I wanted to clarify I did not state the game was dead. Obviously there are still many varieties of carom games being played where popular. I was just trying to figure out how this game was played the championship game when there is almost a certainty of a player making all of the points in the first inning every time. Mr. Jewett was able to explain why it took some time before moving to balkline and 3c.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the term "série américaine" is actually French; a term that the Vietnamese inherited from them along with the game itself. (Vietnam was a French colony for a while).

Something that america is credited for creating

The serie american, as they say in asia
americana,
American position, for europe

The rail nurse as we called it
The most effective way to score in straight rail

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
was just trying to figure out how this game was played the championship game when there is almost a certainty of a player making all of the points in the first inning every time.

there hasnt been a world championship event for straight rail since, cant remember exactly, about 1969

the man to win it, you can probably guess, sir raymond ceulemans

its considered a beginner game,for professional level,
but still a very difficult game, no carom games have a quick way to a win

similar to american pool pros playing 9ball with magic rack on bar boxes
almost certiain to run out

Last edited:

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
popular game

The elevated-cue draw shot I called 'stab-draw' goes by the name 'Pique', and 'Americain Serie' is the traditional rail nurse, according to an intro to one of the club vids.

It is nice to see the interest in the game, supported by clubs with sixteen or more tables and house pros holding court and giving lessons.

https://youtu.be/KVfG1c7c3t0
https://youtu.be/_mbn--z6kiM