Tenon threader

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Getting ready to order a new threader for ferrules. Messed mine up beyond repair. Which makes better threads, the Atlas or the Unique? Unique's is steel which I like the idea of, but if the threads are the same....IDK.
Thanks,
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks, I just noticed on Atlas's site that they are out of their type anyways. I appreciate the input.
DAve

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Unique better than the Atlas die also.
I also have the brass die from Hightower and it works
great also.

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used both unique and hightower's and I must say that the unique threader makes a better thread. Plus it has the tenon sizer on the opposite side.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
For $625 a guy could get a small lathe from Grizzly and set it up specifically for threading ferrule tenons. Takes up very little space & can sit on a typical bench. I'd think the added strength of the tenon remaining a true 5/16", combined with cut threads rather than squeezed threads, the $625 is a cheap upgrade for anybody that actually takes their work seriously. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just sayin.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
For $625 a guy could get a small lathe from Grizzly and set it up specifically for threading ferrule tenons. Takes up very little space & can sit on a typical bench. I'd think the added strength of the tenon remaining a true 5/16", combined with cut threads rather than squeezed threads, the $625 is a cheap upgrade for anybody that actually takes their work seriously. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just sayin.

I have thought of that, as I do all my ferrule/tips on a microlux 7x14 lathe. The issue for me is that it's a pain to keep changing the gears from 18 tpi threading to 'normal' speed for regular machining. And, as some members here have seen my shop, there is no more room for another machine, unfortunately.
Thanks everyone, I just put my order in at atlas for the Unique one plus other things.
Dave

cwarwick812

Registered
Having been in your shop several times I have to agree with you that you don't have anymore room in there for new equipment lol