Crazy ending! What should the ruling be?

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you have to hit three balls past the center string of the table? He didn't do that.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know what the correct ruling is, but I’ve always been taught that if you’re gonna be dumb you’d better be tough. Corey needs to toughen up.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On this match, Corey made a ball on the 16th break, but didn't notice it. Apparently neither did Shane. Shane then came to the table and finished the rack for the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVVjoWWl2o

Should Shane have been awarded the win?

You said corey made a ball and didn't notice it? you think pro's would not notice the corner ball going in? hehe, no my friend, it was just an illegal break, they both very much noticed the 3 ball going in. :)

Some tournys use the rule that either 3 balls should be pocketed or go past the kitchen line, or a combo of either but total of 3 should be accomplished, and in that break, he just made the 3ball he needed 2 more balls to either pocket or go past the kitchen, which didn't happen.

Oh and to answer your final question, yes Shane won, the break was illegal, he should have broken harder.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh yea, maybe that’s it. Did it come up earlier in the match?

"A beautiful match from the Leende EUROTOUR in the Netherlands had:
Shane Vanboening / USA vs Corey Deuel / USA - 2019
9 Ball / race to 9 / Alternate Break / Three Points Rule with 9 on the Spot."

It's in the description.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

It's in the description.
Dangit Fred - always reading the rules and descriptions and whatnot. It's 2020, we're supposed to get offended at everything --> not read the dang ingredients!!!

-td [ha!]

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That shot on the one ball... Damn son! Even Earl was impressed.
I think it was a good choice because he had some latitude in where the 1 needed to hit the 8. The carom angle to the pocket is just about right for a rolling half ball hit on the 8, which is the hit with the most room for error on either side.

pj <- trivia r us
chgo

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's in the description.

You’re an engineer. Of course you read that stuff! Me, not so much.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was a good choice because he had some latitude in where the 1 needed to hit the 8. The carom angle to the pocket is just about right for a rolling half ball hit on the 8, which is the hit with the most room for error on either side.

pj <- trivia r us
chgo

I don’t read instructions very well, or ever, but I did see that shot option before Shane hit it.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shot on the one ball... Damn son! Even Earl was impressed.
That was a great shot. And Earl's commentary put a smile on my face...giving tribute to the Magician by saying, "He pulled an Efren Reyes there."

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
however assuming it was just how you said op. then who would get the win. i believe and in the poolroom after the next opponent has shot then the game goes on from there. its up to the other player to be the referee and see the mistake and make a ruling.

in a tournament i dont know how the ref would rule. he might make the game a do over. but that isnt fair either. or let it stand as both players accepted the table as it was.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
While it's on this, is there any buzz term for a bad break like uh, bad break?

Non-conforming or non-compliant, as far as the 3-point rule goes. Some of us try our best not to use the word "illegal," as that suggests a BIH infraction.