Introducing the "Newest" technology in Pool Cues.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What went wrong?

I do not recall the introduction to the Aluminum pool cue but I see where it is today.

Same with the almighty Titanium cues.

We can throw in the Graphite cues as well.

What other materials were used over the last few hundred years, where are they today?

Looking back thru the history of Brunswick, I see they were making 400,000 cues per year back in the 1890's and production went up to 800,000 per year a few decades later.

Many of the old Brunswick cues are more valuable today than when they were purchased.

Can we say that about ANY other technology from the past? How about them thar Titanium sticks at Wal Mart, yup.

(PS, I love new technology, always have. I would rather go 150mph in a newer car than an older one, yes, it was fun and I do have a photo. When I was a teenager, I spend good money to learn confuser programming in 5 languages. My Cousin helped put the binary code to the size of the atom. Imagine a decimal point with 83 zeros and then a one following it, now enter the code. I have been around and embraced the new all my life, can't wait for the newest and best thing of the future.)

Thanks again, Dave.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have you tried the new line of Predator Pool Competition underwear yet? They are awesome and come in all kinds of colors!!

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh... and BTW what is the New Technology? Or is this just another lame attempt to bash plastic cues? lol

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh... and BTW what is the New Technology? Or is this just another lame attempt to bash plastic cues? lol

What PLASTIC cues are you speaking of?

What BASHING are you speaking of as well?

Search all you want, you won't find any bashing from me.

Lame attempt? That would be you and your attempts, wtf (what the fun) is wrong with you?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What PLASTIC cues are you speaking of?

What BASHING are you speaking of as well?

Search all you want, you won't find any bashing from me.

Lame attempt? That would be you and your attempts, wtf is wrong with you?

alot... you have a couple hours? So again, what is this new technology?

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolhustler;6167814what does the SHC have to do with pool shafts?[/QUOTE said:
Wait till the new Quantum Cues hit the market. Then, when you shoot the object ball could be considered both potted and missed at the same time.

There is a great video on YouTube that gives 2-3 examples of why technology and science are more important for your life than you think.
It's a video by MKBHD and Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Tyson sums up the whole "what does *insert science stuff* has to do with me?" And the answer is "we don't know yet".

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Wonder how the like of Willie Mosconi was able to play so well with strone age equiptment? Could it have been SKILL?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder how the like of Willie Mosconi was able to play so well with strone age equiptment? Could it have been SKILL?

Because they didn't know any better.
In the old days we played on and with what was available.
I was 16 and played at the local room on an Anniversary table with slow cloth and the old clay balls. Years were 1961 to 1965 then the Marine Corps was my new home for 4 years.
House cues with unknown tips and i think masters chalk.
But not knowing any better I was able to run 101 balls one day.
And a ton of 40's and 50's.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Because they didn't know any better.
In the old days we played on and with what was available.
I was 16 and played at the local room on an Anniversary table with slow cloth and the old clay balls. Years were 1961 to 1965 then the Marine Corps was my new home for 4 years.
House cues with unknown tips and i think masters chalk.
But not knowing any better I was able to run 101 balls one day.
And a ton of 40's and 50's.

Well my point is technology is wonderful, but I could not go to Luke AFB, and fly the New F-35 without the skill acquired in flight school.

Wonder if Mosconi was still in his prime, and because of a time machine transported to 2018, with his old Cue. Would he still be a top player?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

And yet, Lou Gehrig managed to play well with a baseball glove from the 1920's. Yet, NOT one player today plays with a similar glove. Too small, not enough leather, too flimsy, etc. Yeah, Lou had skills, but with a glove they use today he might still be playing ;)

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet, Lou Gehrig managed to play well with a baseball glove from the 1920's. Yet, NOT one player today plays with a similar glove. Too small, not enough leather, too flimsy, etc. Yeah, Lou had skills, but with a glove they use today he might still be playing ;)

And guess how many pro golfers are actively competing with persimmons drivers....

NONE.

Meaning, even in his prime- Ben Hogan wouldn't win the masters today with his old school persimmons driver

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What went wrong?

I do not recall the introduction to the Aluminum pool cue but I see where it is today.

What other materials were used over the last few hundred years, where are they today?

Looking back thru the history of Brunswick, I see they were making 400,000 cues per year back in the 1890's and production went up to 800,000 per year a few decades later.

Many of the old Brunswick cues are more valuable today than when they were purchased.

Can we say that about ANY other technology from the past? How about them thar Titanium sticks at Wal Mart, yup.

(PS, I love new technology, always have. I would rather go 150mph in a newer car than an older one, yes, it was fun and I do have a photo. When I was a teenager, I spend good money to learn confuser programming in 5 languages. My Cousin helped put the binary code to the size of the atom. Imagine a decimal point with 83 zeros and then a one following it, now enter the code. I have been around and embraced the new all my life, can't wait for the newest and best thing of the future.)

Thanks again, Dave.

It's OK .. Everything is going to be just fine .. Take two aspirin and call anyone but me in the morning .. LOL

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What went wrong?

Thanks again, Dave.

Never tried an aluminium cue. I don't think it would be awful, though. I've tried graphite, fiberglass etc...The thing is, they're not that bad. Earl Strickland kicked ass with one. If I had to play the rest of my life with a Cuetec or similar, that wouldn't be the end of the world. People are acting like it's impossible to play well with a cue like that, but it's really not that big of an adjustment. The biggest drawback is the dings. If it weren't for the tendency to form dings, I might have played with one, just for spite. Even the hit is not completely useless. It's different and feels weird at first, but after a while you adapt and there is enough feedback to play well.

I've tried all sorts of wood too. Most of them are pretty decent. Hornbeam, pear, oak not to mention ash. I much prefer ash for snooker and I tried a pear cue that was awesome.

Then of course there is the laminated shafts. Most of them are ok too.

Really, a pool cue is just a stick. There is a limit to how much can be done with one, performance wise.

It's always about the skill, no matter how expensive a cue gets. Skill can't be bought. And collecting cues is of course a thing, but people collect all sorts of stuff. Coffee cans, figurines, stamps, shoes, whatever. It's really quite laughable when people claim a certain makers 10 k cues are the best, when nobody that can actually play has had one for decades. They're all locked in the safes of dentists and lawyers..It's a wooden stick. It'll likely perform like one, and Earl is likely to play circles around you with a cuetec, even if you could get a hold of one of these magic sticks. Would be fun to try one of those cues, but lets get real.