Run 143 and lose - video

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Steve,

First of all, thanks to you and Danny for posting your video. It has been both entertaining and enlightening. I'm working my way through it a few racks at a time in an effort to get as much out of it as possible.

I do have a question. I don't expect you to remember why you played which ball when, since the match was played in 09, so I'll ask this in a general sense. While watching an Accu-Stats DVD of a player reviewed match, Rempe states that if there are 2 balls near the center of the table and you intend to use one as a key ball, it is best to get rid of the one you won't be using before the end of the rack as it's easy to get out of line if you leave them both.

You finished the 3rd rack of your run by leaving 2 balls near the middle of the table. Even though you had an opportunity to take one of them out, you chose not to. In playing them as the last 2 remaining balls, you ended up going to the rail for position on the break ball rather than having a stop shot for break ball position.

I was wondering what your feelings are on the subject and if you subscribe to Rempe's school of thought on not leaving 2 balls near the middle of the table if one is intended to be used as the key ball.

Thanks again for posting the video and thanks in advance for your response. Great run!

Ron F

Thanks for the comments Ron. I've actually written on this forum about the dangers of leaving two balls lined up for the side pocket. That said, not sure this situation was quite the same. Though it would have been much better if they weren't lined up for the corner, the fact that they both went freely into the side increased their value to me. The positional zone to get on either (to then play the 2nd, whichever the order) was fairly big - much bigger than if I had only left one. The only important thing to do is to make sure you make any mistake in getting there (off the ball on the lower rail, before it) to the far side of the table. If I'm on that side of the table, I can definitely maneuver the position one way or another. If I come short, it's death. I try to stay keenly aware of these situations.

Part of me was concerned in putting this video up because even though it's a big number, there were quite a few positions I can clearly see I misplayed. But hey, it's fun putting yourself out there and letting the gang dissect it, hehe.

- Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I sent the link to all our league members. The guy who is the best player in all the leagues said he really enjoyed it and it should be required viewing for anyone who wants to play in our leagues.

I am still not done watching it. I liked when Danny said even though you are a 150+ ball runner, you are still trying to get better. I wish I could inoculate the guy I played last night with some of that. "It's just a game...you made a nice shot...why are you getting so serious about it?"

At around 22 minutes in, after you did the break shot that kind of stunned and the cue ball almost scratched, I thought you would shoot that shot on the rail and go forward, leaving yourself perhaps a shot in the side, to be followed with a break shot up above the rack. Instead, you tried to draw the cue back and came up short and had to make that tough cut on the nine. Why didn't you just go forward? it looked easier and it looked like you could have possibly shot any one of the four open balls thereafter.

Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
I sent the link to all our league members. The guy who is the best player in all the leagues said he really enjoyed it and it should be required viewing for anyone who wants to play in our leagues.

I am still not done watching it. I liked when Danny said even though you are a 150+ ball runner, you are still trying to get better. I wish I could inoculate the guy I played last night with some of that. "It's just a game...you made a nice shot...why are you getting so serious about it?"

At around 22 minutes in, after you did the break shot that kind of stunned and the cue ball almost scratched, I thought you would shoot that shot on the rail and go forward, leaving yourself perhaps a shot in the side, to be followed with a break shot up above the rack. Instead, you tried to draw the cue back and came up short and had to make that tough cut on the nine. Why didn't you just go forward? it looked easier and it looked like you could have possibly shot any one of the four open balls thereafter.

Dennis, I think i was flatter on this ball than it looks, and therefore was concerned about getting on the 11 in the side. I do think that is my only reasonable next shot (no way I was getting on the two balls by the side, and if I play for the other open ball (looks like the 12), then I lose my only solid break shot). While it's true I could have maneuvered to a position where I might have been able to use one of those balls in the side as a break, I think it's a few awkward shots in a row to do so.

So the key is that, if going on the assumption that with topspin the only reasonable ball to play next is the 11, then unless I get perfect I am in at least some trouble. If I get too far under it (which is likely considering how flat I am on the current shot) then I have some serious problems as the 4 and the 9 do not pass one another into the side. If I somehow get over it, I'll be forced to use it as a break ball, which I would find awkward at that angle as well. There are some rail problems as well with the topspin shot, as I am likely to end somewhere close to the right side cushion.

Also, the draw path - if I hit it even halfway decently - allows me a shot at all four open balls. The topspin, there's only one that I would even want to play for, and unless I get really good on it, it could easily be the end of the run.

Obviously, some of my defense on this point is marred by the fact that I did get so bad with the draw. Perhaps the shot was harder than I figured, perhaps I just didn't hit it well. But I definitely liked the idea of getting to center table after one shot, rather than two.

Oh, by the way, thanks for sending out the link to your league members, Dennis.

- Steve

Birdseye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed watching your video. Made me want to go out and shoot, unfortunately, was too late at night. Great commentary too. Thanks a bunch for posting it.

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed watching your video. Made me want to go out and shoot, unfortunately, was too late at night. Great commentary too. Thanks a bunch for posting it.

i watched 6 shots of this match and wanted to hit my diamond table in the basement. problem is i haven't hit a ball in over 2 years.

shame on you steve, posting videos like this makes me miss pool more than ever!!!

sausage

Banned
i watched 6 shots of this match and wanted to hit my diamond table in the basement. problem is i haven't hit a ball in over 2 years.

shame on you steve, posting videos like this makes me miss pool more than ever!!!

you have a diamond in the basement and haven't played on it in over 2 years!? anyone neglects to play on their diamond table for that long should be required BY LAW to give it to me.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Stevie,

i just watch the run for like the 4th time, great job again !!!

i really love you quote at the end when you finally miss, that no one else would of caught. it is a Quote from Evian Johnson " I Hit The Ball In The Wrong Spot" when danny had asked you what did you do wrong ?

too funny !
-Steve

I really loved seeing this again and again, and i hope that you keep it going and do alot more of these. hopefully then we will get to see you run a 150 & Out !!!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Again :)

I m watching now the 3rd time this great video. And at the moment i would not be able to say when i had so much fun just watching a game. Great straight-pool by 2 excellent players with a ton of knowledge. It s easy for me to just enjoy it. Thank you both for this.

After watching it now the 3rd time i m able to concentrate a bit more on the conversation- sometimes it s a bit hard to understand for me when ppl talking in *normal speed*, lol^^ But now it works for me, and again: i enjoy it so much and have often a smile on my face.

I have to say, that i didn t have the chance to see Mr. Barouty playing before- he s a hell of player and listening to him and also watching him is impressive- i feel like i was reading *Mastering Pool* by George Fels again......and somebody showing it simultanously at the table how it SHOULD work-so great. Furthermore it s very interesting that you both make no doubt about , that you always have to *re-think* in straight-pool. Imo it s a thing that you really have to learn for this game-that you re able to re-think all the time during a rack to perhaps get another choice.

Straight-Pool like it should be played- a video that is worth to be used as a lesson for each level of player.
Hats off to Mr Barouty and Steve Lipsky for great straight-pool and a very nice commentary!

Edit: Oops Steve: Of course you played SO GREAT- wasn t planned that i forget to write also about your game, lol. For sure it s also a pleasure to see you play the game. wonderful high-run. Almost forgot about you while watching the vid again :p Just listening to your conversation with Mr Barouty is so interesting that forgot the most what i usualy wanted to write here. think that speaks for itself :p

lg from overseas,

Ingo

Last edited: