Aiming Forum Succumbs to Snowflakes?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfectly fine threads have been removed and also closed. It's a shame because this sub forum was on shaky ground to begin with and this kind of thing discourages new ideas from being brought up.

Seems like everybody has forgotten the reason this forum was created. It was to remove the malcontents from the main forum and to allow the arguing to go on here. It even says in the forum description "argue to your hearts content."

It is no longer a place where ideas can be discussed and argued about. Sometimes constructive, non personal, arguing is fruitful. Maybe it is time to dissolve the Aiming Forum?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perfectly fine threads have been removed and also closed. It's a shame because this sub forum was on shaky ground to begin with and this kind of thing discourages new ideas from being brought up.

Seems like everybody has forgotten the reason this forum was created. It was to remove the malcontents from the main forum and to allow the arguing to go on here. It even says in the forum description "argue to your hearts content."

It is no longer a place where ideas can be discussed and argued about. Sometimes constructive, non personal, arguing is fruitful. Maybe it is time to dissolve the Aiming Forum?

I think it's still a good subforum to share ideas or opinions about aiming. But continuing to argue over the same 20yr old questions concerning CTE, whether anyone believes satisfactory or logical answers have been given or not, is just a bit ridiculous. I think Larry (bbb) put it best once when he posted a while back that no one is going to change the other side's mind.

If you don't like the answers or explanations given, and it's been that way for two decades, no newfound clarity is going to miraculously develop by continuing to ask the same questions or by pointing out the same discrepancies.

In your defense, I understand your questions, your skepticism. I understand why the "2 by 1 table surface" explanation, or the whole numerology explanation (15+30+45=90) is just too silly to consider with any seriousness. But also, in defense of CTE users/supporters, I understand that none of that matters. What matters is results. So, to quote Spider, and I agree 100%, "Who gives a shit?"

I've certainly asked my share of questions, over and over again, the same questions you and others have asked over the years. I've gotten caught up in the mud slinging and the back and forth belittling that goes both ways. But after a while enough becomes enough, and one realization stands out.....it's a waste of time. I don't mean the system is a waste of time, but the continued questioning, ridiculing, and analyzing of it is.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think it's still a good subforum to share ideas or opinions about aiming. But continuing to argue over the same 20yr old questions concerning CTE, whether anyone believes satisfactory or logical answers have been given or not, is just a bit ridiculous. I think Larry (bbb) put it best once when he posted a while back that no one is going to change the other side's mind.

If you don't like the answers or explanations given, and it's been that way for two decades, no newfound clarity is going to miraculously develop by continuing to ask the same questions or by pointing out the same discrepancies.

In your defense, I understand your questions, your skepticism. I understand why the "2 by 1 table surface" explanation, or the whole numerology explanation (15+30+45=90) is just too silly to consider with any seriousness. But also, in defense of CTE users/supporters, I understand that none of that matters. What matters is results. So, to quote Spider, and I agree 100%, "Who gives a shit?"

I've certainly asked my share of questions, over and over again, the same questions you and others have asked over the years. I've gotten caught up in the mud slinging and the back and forth belittling that goes both ways. But after a while enough becomes enough, and one realization stands out.....it's a waste of time. I don't mean the system is a waste of time, but the continued questioning, ridiculing, and analyzing of it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMG9xyiWrI

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with some of what you said but it is a little oversimplified. Over the years new information has been coming out. CTE started with Hal. His instruction was basically, "Aim the center or the edge of the cue ball at one of three divisions on the object ball and whack it. Forget about everything else just whack it." Now, CTE involves two sighting lines and visual sweeps. A far cry from what it once was. Throughout that evolution new questions came up with new opportunities for learning what is going on. Unfortunately, if it didn't match up with whatever Stan thought about it, it was bashing. Point being, it wasn't a never ending argument over whether the sky was blue or green. Nobody could know in advance that people would continue to hold to the fantasy explanations for so long. Saying otherwise is like Monday morning quarterbacking.

Here's an example. Gerry posted a video and I asked a few questions. Graciously, Gerry made a second video that I want to look through. Now at this point you could say why bother because whatever I say doesn't matter. Gerry is going to disagree anyway. Well maybe that's the case but we have to try first. Next year you can say it was a waste of time but it doesn't look like one right now.

I should also add that just because the same 8 or 10 people keep making the same arguments it doesn't mean that those discussions were a waste. Don't forget the potentially large number of new players who are lurkers reading this stuff and gaining more insight into the system.

AZ's policy seems to be just about anything goes when it comes to advertising and selling aiming systems to new players trying to learn the game, as well as others. When that advertising includes conjecture and unsubstantiated claims that puts that aiming system head and shoulders above all others, including yours, someone should give a shit.

Let's put it this way. As long as outlandish claims are allowed on AZ you're gonna get what you're gonna get. It starts at the top. All the current players in discussion could disappear today and a new crop would surface soon enough if the same claims are allowed.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dan
no disrespect intended
you made your case
you dont think all of stans claims are 100% literally true.
you think he is "false advertising " and fleecing unsuspecting victims
and you want to save them
please correct me if the above is false or you want to clarify it
but by now
as the beatles say (and brian i think)
LET IT BE
CHRISTIANS ARE CHRISTIANS
JEWS ARE JEWS
MUSLIMS ARE MUSLIMS
ATHEISTS ARE ATHEISTS
LET THEM FIND TRANQUILTY IN THIER BELEIFES
why is that so difficult for you and a Few others......:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with some of what you said but it is a little oversimplified. Over the years new information has been coming out. CTE started with Hal. His instruction was basically, "Aim the center or the edge of the cue ball at one of three divisions on the object ball and whack it. Forget about everything else just whack it." Now, CTE involves two sighting lines and visual sweeps. A far cry from what it once was. Throughout that evolution new questions came up with new opportunities for learning what is going on. Unfortunately, if it didn't match up with whatever Stan thought about it, it was bashing. Point being, it wasn't a never ending argument over whether the sky was blue or green. Nobody could know in advance that people would continue to hold to the fantasy explanations for so long. Saying otherwise is like Monday morning quarterbacking.

Here's an example. Gerry posted a video and I asked a few questions. Graciously, Gerry made a second video that I want to look through. Now at this point you could say why bother because whatever I say doesn't matter. Gerry is going to disagree anyway. Well maybe that's the case but we have to try first. Next year you can say it was a waste of time but it doesn't look like one right now.

I should also add that just because the same 8 or 10 people keep making the same arguments it doesn't mean that those discussions were a waste. Don't forget the potentially large number of new players who are lurkers reading this stuff and gaining more insight into the system.

AZ's policy seems to be just about anything goes when it comes to advertising and selling aiming systems to new players trying to learn the game, as well as others. When that advertising includes conjecture and unsubstantiated claims that puts that aiming system head and shoulders above all others, including yours, someone should give a shit.

Let's put it this way. As long as outlandish claims are allowed on AZ you're gonna get what you're gonna get. It starts at the top. All the current players in discussion could disappear today and a new crop would surface soon enough if the same claims are allowed.

I understand where you're coming from, amigo. I just think people are smart enough to learn from their own experiences. If they buy into a system and it doesn't work, they're out a little bit of money. At the same time another player bought into the same system and got some benefit from it. What I'm saying is most people aren't stupid. They are fully capable of forming their own opinions based on their own trials or experiments.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dan
no disrespect intended
you made your case
you dont think all of stans claims are 100% literally true.
you think he is "false advertising " and fleecing unsuspecting victims
and you want to save them
please correct me if the above is false or you want to clarify it
but by now
as the beatles say (and brian i think)
LET IT BE
CHRISTIANS ARE CHRISTIANS
JEWS ARE JEWS
MUSLIMS ARE MUSLIMS
ATHEISTS ARE ATHEISTS
LET THEM FIND TRANQUILTY IN THIER BELEIFES
why is that so difficult for you and a Few others......:confused::confused::confused:
Many medical studies show it is impossible for people to be open minded, even though they appear rational and functional, while actually they are suffering a bipolar disorder.
And then there is the quote from none other than General Douglas McCarthur when discussing certain aspects of the occupation of Japan (if you're old enough to know who he was).
It went like this: "The degree of one's open mindedness will most often be in direct proportion to how much they agree with or disagree with the subject at hand."

Cmate

Registered
Oh really?

Many medical studies show it is impossible for people to be open minded, even though they appear rational and functional, while actually they are suffering a bipolar disorder...

Citations please.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the pool instructor problem. How do you make a career of showing people how to make a ball?

"It's the market stoopid" comes to mind. The mass of money is in the mass of people; "curious noobs" for purposes of this post. Extrapolating further, the mass of money seems to be in the mass of legitimate people; people who have been formatted and ingrained with academia.

So the question evolves into, "How do you make a career of showing these people how to make a ball?".

There's no thesis to go with this. It's just a snapshot of a very obvious aspect.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's an example. Gerry posted a video and I asked a few questions. Graciously, Gerry made a second video that I want to look through. Now at this point you could say why bother because whatever I say doesn't matter. Gerry is going to disagree anyway.

Gerry IS a pro player. He's not going to use something that makes him worse. He uses CTE! There's no payola endorsement to use it. He also has one of the highest scores in the Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings. Why wouldn't he disagree? He obviously KNOWS more and PLAYS far better than you do.

What are YOU? Some big mouth nobody from Joisey who hides in his basement popping balls with a spastic elbow that can't be controlled and wants to become the mouth for justice as a gang boss on a pool forum? Here's a news flash...you're a NOBODY in pool Danny Boy. Never were and never will be. I put myself in that category also but at least I know and recognize it. You're living in a delusional sick world.

Don't forget the potentially large number of new players who are lurkers reading this stuff and gaining more insight into the system.

They're getting the positive on youtube and FB. Not here with the likes of you.

Of course, that's you as the self appointed vigilante MOB BOSS.

And you're bound and determined to stop it! DEPUTY DAWG himself!

VARIOUS GANGS IN THE UNITED STATES
18th Street
Almighty Vice Lord Nation (abbreviated AVLN)
Aryan Brotherhood
Asian Boyz
Bandidos
Barrio Azteca
Black Disciples
Bloods
Crips
Gangster Disciples
Hells Angels
King Cobra Boys
Ku Klux Klan
Latin Kings
Mexican Mafia
MS-13
Norteños
Sureños
TAP Boyz
Tiny Rascal Gang
Vagos
White power Skinheads
THE ANTI-CTE AIMING GANG

GET A LIFE CRY BABY! YOU LOSE! CTE HAS WON! IT'S IN COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD NOW AND YOU CAN'T STOP IT! PRO PLAYERS USE IT,TOP AMATEURS USE IT, AS WELL AS REGULAR PLAYERS.

WHAT DOES NEED TO HAPPEN IS YOU GET PERMANENTLY BANNED!!
THEN YOU CAN START YOUR OWN FORUM WITH COMPLETE CONTROL TO SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT! TAKE A FEW OTHERS WITH YOU!

NUFF SAID.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand where you're coming from, amigo. I just think people are smart enough to learn from their own experiences. If they buy into a system and it doesn't work, they're out a little bit of money. At the same time another player bought into the same system and got some benefit from it. What I'm saying is most people aren't stupid. They are fully capable of forming their own opinions based on their own trials or experiments.

We're not that far off in our thinking. I've said the same thing to other people. In fact, I used to say that any time spent at the table is not wasted. Whatever you are doing will at least keep you at the table watching balls go in and other balls miss, building that database of memory. I've gone down dead ends over the years as does everybody and sometimes learning what doesn't work for us is just as important. Our current game is the sum total of all the effort we put in and to get really good at the game I think there are things you just have to figure out for yourself.

The point is that AZ filters very little and as long as this is being promoted then people are going to argue about it, particularly when the rabid insults are being employed as a tactic. There really isn't a mystery to why the 20 year battle rages on.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nothing's difficult, Larry. Here are some thoughts that come to mind.

I find the subject of why people believe what they believe interesting in this case. When new information comes up like a new youtube it is interesting to analyze it and try to learn something new. It isn't all about arguing. Look at all the work Brian did in figuring out the geometry of what's happening. He didn't do that to continue the fight, he did it partly to help try and end it with facts. But, facts do not matter to some.

Then there is the personality factor. Look at the posts above from Spider and Low Joe. Pretty insulting, huh? All that for having an interest in the truth. That does tend to fuel the fire but I try to ignore that as much as I can as my post history proves. I don't have a perfect history in that regard, but my God, the heat some of us take is ridiculous.

So I guess my answer is that it is an interesting subject to look at once in awhile. I look forward to viewing Gerry's videos in more detail because I think it is interesting to further my idea on what is actually happening.

It is not true that we obsess over CTE every day. When Spider was banned I think probably months went by with hardly a mention of CTE. In fact the forum was pretty dead. If two or three people get their panties in a knot over everything (aka snowflakes) then that's their issue. Nobody is forced to read this forum or to post anything.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHAT DOES NEED TO HAPPEN IS YOU GET PERMANENTLY BANNED!!
THEN YOU CAN START YOUR OWN FORUM WITH COMPLETE CONTROL TO SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT! TAKE A FEW OTHERS WITH YOU!

NUFF SAID.

I try not to reply to you but lately I have made exceptions. Mistake on my part. I just want to remind everyone that you said that when Stan's book comes out and when the Truth Series comes out that Stan is setting up a new website and you will post over there and will never come back to AZ Billiards forums, correct?

I can probably find the quote but it would be easier on everybody if you would confirm that this is correct.

Thanks.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I try not to reply to you but lately I have made exceptions. Mistake on my part. I just want to remind everyone that you said that when Stan's book comes out and when the Truth Series comes out that Stan is setting up a new website and you will post over there and will never come back to AZ Billiards forums, correct?

I can probably find the quote but it would be easier on everybody if you would confirm that this is correct.

Thanks.

It may have been said but things change. I don't know what Stan is going to do.
What difference does it make?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Then there is the personality factor. Look at the posts above from Spider and Low Joe. Pretty insulting, huh?

It's a matter of opinion. Did your feelings get hurt? You can say anything you damn well please when it comes to demeaning Stan, his wife, we who use CTE, and CTE itself. But when responses come back in like kind it's insulting to you. Sounds like you're a "SNOWFLAKE".

All that for having an interest in the truth.

You've been told the truth for MANY years but you can't handle it. It's your own version of the truth or nothing.

That does tend to fuel the fire but I try to ignore that as much as I can as my post history proves.

This one takes the cake!! What a flat out LIE!

I don't have a perfect history in that regard, but my God, the heat some of us take is ridiculous.

Who started this thread? It was YOU for no other reason than to force out heat like a blast furnace. You can't shut the trap about it.

It is not true that we obsess over CTE every day.

You (plural) certainly do and post about it. For 22 years to be exact.

When Spider was banned I think probably months went by with hardly a mention of CTE.

Another mega lie. You had free reign to do whatever you wished and did it.

In fact the forum was pretty dead. If two or three people get their panties in a knot over everything (aka snowflakes) then that's their issue. Nobody is forced to read this forum or to post anything.

Looks to me and everyone else like YOU are the snowflake. Your panties are always in a knot and NOBODY is forcing YOU to read this forum or post anything.

But watch, you'll be right back in here going nuts in a matter of minutes.

Don't say I didn't predict it because it WILL happen. INNOCENT DAN WILL STRIKE AGAIN!

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with a lot of this. But what I put in bold is nothing but a matter of opinion based on personal beliefs. It also applies to religion, politics, abortion, etc... any subject where people are 100% adamant that their belief is the only "truth". Anything questioning or opposing their truth is seen as an attack on their belief, not an open discussion into learning or understanding.

I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy arguing with far lefties about bloated government, because there is no middle ground with many of those types of people. I don't enjoy arguing with overly conservative right wingers either, the ones who actually believe morality can be legislated through a "God-fearing" government, which brings us to religion.... I don't enjoy being preached to by a preacher that thinks his beliefs are superior to mine or anyone else's. A [insert religion here] believer is convinced that their belief is the only truth and everyone else is going to hell. Lol. No amount of logic or words will make him think any differently. It's not just religion. The list goes on and on... some subjects are just neverending arguments because each side is unwilling to consider the other side's point of view.

Aiming pool balls should not be one of these hot button issues, and that's the reason I've decided to quit wasting my time with senseless back and forth arguing. It's not productive. And it really doesn't bother me if someone says, "CTE is better than Poolology", or if Stan's book comes out with a quote in it saying "CTE Pro1 is far superior to any form of aiming in the history of pocket billiards." It's not false advertising.... it's personal belief. And people are free to explore and determine whether or not one belief or another works for them. And no amount of arguing or persuasion will make much of difference, because when it comes right down to it, most people believe what we want to believe based on our own experiences and opinions. I like Levi jeans. A lot of people like Lee, or Buckle, or Wrangler. When someone says "Lee jeans are best", I don't jump in to defend the fact that I think Levi is the better brand. I feel the same way aiming pool balls. Tom Rossman told me one thime that he only teaches ghostball because that is superior to all other aiming methods. He's a great guy, but I found him to be too close-minded to discuss aiming with me. So instead of arguing my point or trying to get him to understand what I was doing, I simply said, "ok". Sometimes that's what we have to do.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with a lot of this. But what I put in bold is nothing but a matter of opinion based on personal beliefs. It also applies to religion, politics, abortion, etc... any subject where people are 100% adamant that their belief is the only "truth". Anything questioning or opposing their truth is seen as an attack on their belief, not an open discussion into learning or understanding.

I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy arguing with far lefties about bloated government, because there is no middle ground with many of those types of people. I don't enjoy arguing with overly conservative right wingers either, the ones who actually believe morality can be legislated through a "God-fearing" government, which brings us to religion.... I don't enjoy being preached to by a preacher that thinks his beliefs are superior to mine or anyone else's. A [insert religion here] believer is convinced that their belief is the only truth and everyone else is going to hell. Lol. No amount of logic or words will make him think any differently. It's not just religion. The list goes on and on... some subjects are just neverending arguments because each side is unwilling to consider the other side's point of view.

Aiming pool balls should not be one of these hot button issues, and that's the reason I've decided to quit wasting my time with senseless back and forth arguing. It's not productive. And it really doesn't bother me if someone says, "CTE is better than Poolology", or if Stan's book comes out with a quote in it saying "CTE Pro1 is far superior to any form of aiming in the history of pocket billiards." It's not false advertising.... it's personal belief. And people are free to explore and determine whether or not one belief or another works for them. And no amount of arguing or persuasion will make much of difference, because when it comes right down to it, most people believe what we want to believe based on our own experiences and opinions. I like Levi jeans. A lot of people like Lee, or Buckle, or Wrangler. When someone says "Lee jeans are best", I don't jump in to defend the fact that I think Levi is the better brand. I feel the same way aiming pool balls. Tom Rossman told me one thime that he only teaches ghostball because that is superior to all other aiming methods. He's a great guy, but I found him to be too close-minded to discuss aiming with me. So instead of arguing my point or trying to get him to understand what I was doing, I simply said, "ok". Sometimes that's what we have to do.

Regarding the bold, if that's all that was happening then I would agree with you. Claims are made such as this system is "100% objective" requiring no knowledge of the pocket (curtain demonstration, eg) and no need to worry about contact points or aiming at the object ball. THAT'S the problem and those things are verifiable scientifically and are provably false. As you know, the fact that some people play well with the system is not the issue. The fact that some people don't want to go where the facts lead them is not a reason to shy away from an interesting topic. Just ignore the dead enders and open new dialogue with others, like maybe Gerry, who seem more balanced.

A little off topic: Regarding debating liberals I hear you. The closest thing I had where I almost converted one to the reality of what science says to date was my global warming thread with Sofla, a math major, in NPR. We decided to pick out a very specific claim made by the warmists and we'd keep our discussion focused on that one issue only. This was done because debates tend to move on to "oh yeah, well what about this..." and nothing really gets resolved. Sofla, who I don't think posts on AZ anymore, is apparently an expert on all things. I think he probably has quite a high IQ but often liberalism trumps smarts. So anyway he kicked and prodded with his superior knowledge all the way through our debate until a curious thing happened. He realized that maybe he didn't have all the facts and I could sense a change in his attitude. It went from derision to full out defense of his position, rather than looking for the truth. It is a great example of people defending what they already believe rather than looking for the truth (bias confirmation). In global warming it is a snake pit because there are so many lies from supposedly legit organizations out there, so it is understandable.

In the end he was unable to commit to our agreement that we would stick to one specific topic. Our months long conversation ended with the graph below. It proved that the concepts he was defending were lies and the scientists were lying. He chose to quit the conversation rather than change his position on global warming. Maybe he was wise to do so because our discussion was like pulling on a string that unravels much of what warmists hold to as fact.

So I'm no stranger to the differences between opinion, fact, bias and so on.

Good discussion, thanks.

hsi-mini.png

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the covid 19 thread in the members section of onepocket dot org
has become like the aiming forum
they fight over trump is great and trump sucks
and libtards this and republicans that
noone is going to change their mind
they think they are having rational discussions but neither side believes the "proof" the other sides post
like here i get my popcorn and appreciative of the entertainment
i know for those involved in both forums this is serious
because they are passionate about it
from time to time i have to say LET IT BE
and then i am shot down and the same stuff goes on to rinse and repeat.
i will say tho that some threads and posts are educational and applaud those who contributed positively
rant over
the popcorn is ready.....:smile:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO, Walmart has the best jeans.

I used to wear much more expensive jeans but one day I was in Walmart looking for some household something or other and stumbled upon their jeans section. Just for grins I bought a pair of their American something or other brand. I think I paid $10.

Great denim and they fit like a glove. Went back and bought a bunch in my size.

ummm, carry on.

Lou Figueroa

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
the covid 19 thread in the members section of onepocket dot org
has become like the aiming forum
they fight over trump is great and trump sucks
and libtards this and republicans that
noone is going to change their mind
they think they are having rational discussions but neither side believes the "proof" the other sides post
like here i get my popcorn and appreciative of the entertainment
i know for those involved in both forums this is serious
because they are passionate about it
from time to time i have to say LET IT BE
and then i am shot down and the same stuff goes on to rinse and repeat.
i will say tho that some threads and posts are educational and applaud those who contributed positively
rant over
the popcorn is ready.....:smile:

Lol. I swear, Larry, one of these days I'm coming to down to Florida to visit you! We'll play some play some pool and have a few drinks. I think you're good people. In fact, I bet most of here would get along just fine in a poolhallnor wherever, despite differences of opinion when it comes to posting in this forum.