Beginer cue maker (25 years old) please advise.

Enigmaticul

Banned
Hi all you wonderful cue makers out there. A little about me. Mi name is Andrei and i live in Indianapolis. I am a student at Indiana university in my senior year for therapeutic recreation (working with people with disabilities). I love playing pool and i have the up most respect for anyone in the pool industry and especially for those that are trying to keep the game alive for the young ones. Competition from video games is kicking our asses people but that is another issue. From Jim Buss to Jacoby i really love all your work and i am privileged to own some of your beautiful work. Its not enough for me to play pool anymore. I want to learn how to make cues and how to continue this tradition. I am a student so for definition i am broke but i did manage to save up some money and buy a TAIG lathe. I have the starter package without a motor, 3 jaw chuck, tail-rest with the Jacobs drill and some bits. I also purchased an extra bed because i want to be able to turn full shafts for cleaning purposes.

I am the President of Indiana University Billiards club so i have a lot of tip changes and new people that need shaft cleaning and general work done to their cues.

I want to be able to do tips, ferules, and cleaning.

I really don't know to much what i am doing but i have a log of good will the internet and common sense.

I still need a motor a controller for that motor and a live center to be able to turn those shafts.

Please help me, any information would be greatly appreciated. I know money would make everything better but i don't have a lot so used parts, tips and trick and so on would be so appreciated.

Best regards
andrei

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good advice

contact Chris Hightower at www.cuesmith.com and get his book read and reread it and that will start u on your way

Get Chris's book and get his videos. They will help you get started and you will go back to them many times in your cuemaking qwest when you run into questions or problems. Good luck with your journey, it is an expensive and highly addictive hobby...

dakota

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are the college billiard teams? I have always heard they are a joke and couldnt hold their own against a standard Bar player.. Just what ive heard though! I know Varner or Rossman played on the Purdue Billiard team though. Maybe I could get a full ride scholarship ;)

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I agree with everyone else that suggests you get the Hightower lathe and books and DVDs. Also, in the future you might wanna consider a metal lathe. I know without my old south bend lathe, life in my shop would be way more challenging.

Joe

Enigmaticul

Banned
LOL the last post is so funny. I was actually always thinking of taking a wood broom, cut it in half and slap a z2 on it just for shits and giggles.Also thanks so much for the info about the motor. You have no idea how long i have been looking for something like that. I am also looking to buy anything used that relates to cue building. the price is the main factor. Also i accept donations LOL. They will go for a good cause i promise.

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
I love all of the advice on here...it's been great for me and my education of cue repair.

I done tips 20 years ago, by hand, and I recently purchased a repair lathe, and I'm having a blast just playing with it and trying to practice on quite a few blanks just to re-enforce the quality of my work.

Good Luck, I hear there's a lot of cue repair guys out there...and with each new guy entering the business, the pieces of the pie gets smaller and smaller...so, keep your day job...and love it as a hobby, oh, and make sure you have about 5 times as much money, as you think it will take.

And, I agree...Chris Hightower and Bassel, are the best in customer service.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hi all you wonderful cue makers out there. A little about me. Mi name is Andrei and i live in Indianapolis. I am a student at Indiana university in my senior year for therapeutic recreation (working with people with disabilities). I love playing pool and i have the up most respect for anyone in the pool industry and especially for those that are trying to keep the game alive for the young ones. Competition from video games is kicking our asses people but that is another issue. From Jim Buss to Jacoby i really love all your work and i am privileged to own some of your beautiful work. Its not enough for me to play pool anymore. I want to learn how to make cues and how to continue this tradition. I am a student so for definition i am broke but i did manage to save up some money and buy a TAIG lathe. I have the starter package without a motor, 3 jaw chuck, tail-rest with the Jacobs drill and some bits. I also purchased an extra bed because i want to be able to turn full shafts for cleaning purposes.

I am the President of Indiana University Billiards club so i have a lot of tip changes and new people that need shaft cleaning and general work done to their cues.

I want to be able to do tips, ferules, and cleaning.

I really don't know to much what i am doing but i have a log of good will the internet and common sense.

I still need a motor a controller for that motor and a live center to be able to turn those shafts.

Please help me, any information would be greatly appreciated. I know money would make everything better but i don't have a lot so used parts, tips and trick and so on would be so appreciated.

Best regards
andrei

It sounds like you have been infected............ A cheap way to run a taig lathe is with a treadmill dc motor. I have one spinning one of my finishers and it works great. You can get them for free or $20 bucks .... shop craigs list in your local area.

If you get one PM me and I will help you hook it up. Proform is the best to use.

Other than that the Pennstate Ind is dc motor is great ...$129 ... I have one of them too. there is a mounting bracket available from Todd.

Kim

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love all of the advice on here...it's been great for me and my education of cue repair.

I done tips 20 years ago, by hand, and I recently purchased a repair lathe, and I'm having a blast just playing with it and trying to practice on quite a few blanks just to re-enforce the quality of my work.

Good Luck, I hear there's a lot of cue repair guys out there...and with each new guy entering the business, the pieces of the pie gets smaller and smaller...so, keep your day job...and love it as a hobby, oh, and make sure you have about 5 times as much money, as you think it will take.

And, I agree...Chris Hightower and Bassel, are the best in customer service.

That is some good solid advice. Also find a wife who does not mind haveing a basement full of cue stuff or you will end up divorced like me LOL.