Ask The Instructor?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Except if you want a postion with a company filling a Navy contract. You need that certification as they won't look at you without it.:frown:

The bolded part above speaks volumes. I work in this industry that Dave speaks of, and I can't tell you how many MCSE's I've chewed up and spit out these past decades. I've long ago let my MCSE expire (back in 1997) and I'd never wanted to recertify. Reason? MCSE certification is almost worthless. And this is the case for just about any certification that involves merely passing a paper or electronic test, but no practical lab or oral board to go in front of and get drilled (like, say, a Cisco CCIE).

I personally think anyone that has a proven background, knowledge, and history -- and relates it well (i.e. folks have spoken and/or given feedback about the ease by which this person performs what we in my industry term as "knowledge transfer") -- qualifies as an instructor.

I personally won't call myself an instructor. But I revel in my ability to perform knowledge transfer, because I've been doing it for so long, that it's second nature, and I feel I can seamlessly bridge the divide between the most complex things to understand, and the common layperson.

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Except if you want a postion with a company filling a Navy contract. You need that certification as they won't look at you without it.:frown:

Sure, I know -- I used to do Fed business when I was Intergraph Corp (1990-2000). "You do what you have to do, to win the business." And that's why I even went for my MCSE in the first place -- some of our business required it. But once it was no longer "check the checkbox" required, I let it die on the vine and went in a completely different direction, pursuing the knowledge and certifications where "ya can't get it unless you really know what you're doing" (e.g.: CCNP and CCIE).

Back to the point, though, certifications are only a "check the checkbox" item. They get you through the door in some cases. Once your foot's through the door, however, that's where the rubber meets the road. Experience, personality, execution/timeliness, a good bedside manner, and the ability to convey thoughts and principles to a level that the listener easily understands, are the things that anchor the customer (or student) to you. Certifications are meaningless at that point.

-Sean

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Not true... I won a Navy contract (sole source) when I was 23. The guy who accompanied me to all the Naval bases was the best of the best... no MCSE there. The Navy didn't have a guy as smart as him.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Their hiring practices could have changed since you were 23.

Not true... I won a Navy contract (sole source) when I was 23. The guy who accompanied me to all the Naval bases was the best of the best... no MCSE there. The Navy didn't have a guy as smart as him.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Very true.

Sure, I know -- I used to do Fed business when I was Intergraph Corp (1990-2000). "You do what you have to do, to win the business." And that's why I even went for my MCSE in the first place -- some of our business required it. But once it was no longer "check the checkbox" required, I let it die on the vine and went in a completely different direction, pursuing the knowledge and certifications where "ya can't get it unless you really know what you're doing" (e.g.: CCNP and CCIE).

Back to the point, though, certifications are only a "check the checkbox" item. They get you through the door in some cases. Once your foot's through the door, however, that's where the rubber meets the road. Experience, personality, execution/timeliness, a good bedside manner, and the ability to convey thoughts and principles to a level that the listener easily understands, are the things that anchor the customer (or student) to you. Certifications are meaningless at that point.

-Sean

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

-Sean

As so often Sean- you nailed it in my humble opinion :)

lg
Ingo

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I can attest that Larry is a good guy, a good student, an experienced player, and definitely has things to share here, as well as (like all of us) being a lifelong "student of the game". Same goes for Bruce, and Joel.

John Fisher...It sounds like you've done some good research, and developed your own program. I might suggest some time with a master instructor just to enhance what you've already done. You may even wish to join the PBIA certification program, at some point.

I agree with Randy, and think anyone should be able to post here.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thank you for the kind words, and you as well, RandyG.

I'm still waiting to see Frans perspective on this. Her participation here is far more important than mine.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind words, and you as well, RandyG.

I'm still waiting to see Frans perspective on this. Her participation here is far more important than mine.

I think I've clearly stated my perspective and repeated it several times. If you have a specific question for me about my perspective, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer the best I can.

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That slowed it down

No posts to this forum in the last 12 hours...

Hadn't seen that before