Ask The Instructor?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think I may have to plead guilty. I teach and have taught local players for years if I saw something or I was asked about something I "know" about... But I would never call myself an instructor

On many threads I have interjected here but have tried to be aware of stepping on any certified toes. I think it's just in my nature and it will be a hard habit to curb...

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I posted 5 times in this thread that this is not about credentials. Do people even read the thread or do they just jump in after reading one or two posts?

For sure Fran- that seems to be a main problem :) *hug* ^^

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Every learning situation and environment that I've ever been in has allowed student participation. In fact, it was always encouraged.

We learn in many ways, and from different perspectives. Yes, the fine instructors here will have the better answers most of the time, but occasionally a person can pick something up from shared experience.

As for the concern about newer members not knowing who "the instructors" are amidst all the posts. I believe most folks will figure that out rather easily, especially after a few visits. In fact, I think it would be difficult to not understand once a person reads more than a thread or two. And most folks interested in learning aren't likely to stop after one thread.

Again, my thanks to everyone here who offers their help. It is appreciated.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Fran ..Original post......."I thought it was a great idea that there was a place that players can go to ask instructors questions. That's not the case here anymore. Apparently anyone can answer questions, and they do."

"What's up with that?"

You can spin the debate in any direction you like but the core issue of the original post is credibility.At least that's the way it was worded.

If you answered that question and I failed to read it, then I apologize.

It is the multitude of inept "one liners" that ignore the subject matter which make it difficult to follow the direction of this post.*hug*>>

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran ..Original post......."I thought it was a great idea that there was a place that players can go to ask instructors questions. That's not the case here anymore. Apparently anyone can answer questions, and they do."

What's up with that?

You can spin the debate in any direction you like but the core issue of the original post is credibility.

If you answered that question and I failed to read it, then I apologize.

It is the multitude of inept "one liners" that ignore the subject matter which make it difficult to follow the direction of this post.*hug*>>

Rick, I think there's a difference between credibility and credentials. Even with that, I don't think it's about credibility or credentials. I think if you think you are a teacher then you should answer questions here. Where's the credibility or credentials factor in that?

I don't seem to have any trouble at all following the thread, but that's just me.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every learning situation and environment that I've ever been in has allowed student participation. In fact, it was always encouraged.

We learn in many ways, and from different perspectives. Yes, the fine instructors here will have the better answers most of the time, but occasionally a person can pick something up from shared experience.

As for the concern about newer members not knowing who "the instructors" are amidst all the posts. I believe most folks will figure that out rather easily, especially after a few visits. In fact, I think it would be difficult to not understand once a person reads more than a thread or two. And most folks interested in learning aren't likely to stop after one thread.

Again, my thanks to everyone here who offers their help. It is appreciated.

Where in this thread was it suggested that students shouldn't participate?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I may have to plead guilty. I teach and have taught local players for years if I saw something or I was asked about something I "know" about... But I would never call myself an instructor

On many threads I have interjected here but have tried to be aware of stepping on any certified toes. I think it's just in my nature and it will be a hard habit to curb...

Based on what you wrote, it sounds to me like you are a teacher. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter because no one is chasing you away.

To me, forums are all about boundaries. Some boundaries are clearer than others.

I'm not referring to you here, Chris: I've noticed that there are people who intentionally ignore boundaries all the time. I don't mean occasionally. I mean obsessively. They do it here and they do it in their life. I've often wondered how this personality trait affects their pool game. Lack of self-discipline, perhaps? Unwillingness to exercise self-restraint? Disregard for rules?

Last edited:

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Yes, Harvard should be very embarrassed indeed, cause my 13 year old son is smarter than the current POTUS cause he would NOT have allowed so many failed policies to be put in place, drive the economy into the ground, and my son can give a presentation without a teleprompter, and has no ties to the corrupt politicians of Chicago...obviously Harvard Law School forgot to teach Mr. Obama anything at all about ETHICS.... but hey....you get what you pay for, and we are now all paying for this huge MISTAKE....

What in good googly goo does this have to do with this topic or pool in any way shape or form? I know you’re angry about what someone said about a Republican; however his post was relevant to the topic and yours isn’t in any way. Just to let you know WE HATE THAT, Lib/Conser alike.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Where in this thread was it suggested that students shouldn't participate?

Perhaps I misinterpreted the tone in the original post, with the statement "anyone can answer questions...."

It left me with the distinct feeling that you didn't want anyone who is not an instructor to answer a question in this sub forum.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
What in good googly goo does this have to do with this topic or pool in any way shape or form? I know you’re angry about what someone said about a Republican; however his post was relevant to the topic and yours isn’t in any way. Just to let you know WE HATE THAT, Lib/Conser alike.

Exactly. He should have left politics out of it. I decided not to let it go unchecked in here, and will not in the future either. I save it for NPR, but if someone wants to "chat", then I will chat right back at them. And for the record, his "rant" had nothing to do with the topic. I mean, I could have let the "remark" go,,, but in my defense, I didn't :wink:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I misinterpreted the tone in the original post, with the statement "anyone can answer questions...."

It left me with the distinct feeling that you didn't want anyone who is not an instructor to answer a question in this sub forum.

This was my take on the post also. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

I like this forum and even though I'm not an instructor I feel that I have something to contribute.......once in a while. :)

Many folks that are having issues with this game look for guidence. My hope is to shorten their learning experience. After over 50 years of banging balls around I am always willing to help those so that they do not make the same mistakes I made when learning.

Bad habits are a bummer and sometimes very hard to break.

I wish there would have been instructors back in the 60's.

Fran,I have told you I'm kind of a country guy thats why I aint even going to NY. But if your ever around St. Louis let me know, we can play some......to see who buys dinner. Not that I dont care for Randy, Scott or Mark I have to draw the line somewhere.

I would give you a *hug* also......but Ratta may be jealous.

It has not never nor ever will be my intention to take business away from a qualifeid instructor. When I decided to learn golf at the age of 50 the very first thing I did was seek out an instructor.

John

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, I'd say that's true.

However, the word 'participate' has a much bigger definition than just someone giving advice.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was my take on the post also. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

I like this forum and even though I'm not an instructor I feel that I have something to contribute.......once in a while. :)

Many folks that are having issues with this game look for guidence. My hope is to shorten their learning experience. After over 50 years of banging balls around I am always willing to help those so that they do not make the same mistakes I made when learning.

Bad habits are a bummer and sometimes very hard to break.

I wish there would have been instructors back in the 60's.

Fran,I have told you I'm kind of a country guy thats why I aint even going to NY. But if your ever around St. Louis let me know, we can play some......to see who buys dinner. Not that I dont care for Randy, Scott or Mark I have to draw the line somewhere.

I would give you a *hug* also......but Ratta may be jealous.

It has not never nor ever will be my intention to take business away from a qualifeid instructor. When I decided to learn golf at the age of 50 the very first thing I did was seek out an instructor.

John

It would be an honor and a privilege to play you for dinner, John. I do travel a bit and if I'm in your area I'll let you know. As for the hug, well in your and Ratta's case I would do the hug thing, but generally, there's no hugging in pool ---- or was that crying?

:)

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I think I have a solution, maybe not?

Any one should be able to post answers in this forum, Instructors or want-a-bees. Let the readers sort the info out. BUT, I think that all posts should be under review from the Instructors who actually teach these things.

Quite a few times I have had to "bite my tongue" on several posts. Now Scott Lee tells it just like it is and Fran always has a gentle way of saying "huh". Nevertheless, 90% is good information, the other 10% could be trouble.

The ONE THING I dislike is the anonymity of some posters. If you are going to express your opinion, then sign off on it!

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have a solution, maybe not?

Any one should be able to post answers in this forum, Instructors or want-a-bees. Let the readers sort the info out. BUT, I think that all posts should be under review from the Instructors who actually teach these things.

Quite a few times I have had to "bite my tongue" on several posts. Now Scott Lee tells it just like it is and Fran always has a gentle way of saying "huh". Nevertheless, 90% is good information, the other 10% could be trouble.

The ONE THING I dislike is the anonymity of some posters. If you are going to express your opinion, then sign off on it!

randyg

Randy I completely agree with you about anonymous posters ---- And that means YOU too, PGHteacher! Put a name to it already! Sheesh.

We know that only the owners of AZ have the right to change or enforce forum rules, so this is nothing more than a discussion. Even if people 'agree' to respect certain boundaries, as Spider wrote, it's a mish mash and imposible to enforce unless each instructor has their own section.

For me, this has been enlightening and I think I know what I'm going to do from now on.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My name is Bruce Worcester (and has been posted here many times, I'm not exactly hiding) and I wont chime in any more.

Thanks for all of your help, all of you. It's appreciated.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
M name is Ken Jennings. I have taught many players. I do it as a way of promoting the game in my area. I am relatively sure I will get something wrong and appreciate the opportunity to post it here and be corrected by more seasoned professionals in a professional manner.