Can't do a draw shot to save my life

PaulHarvey

Registered
Hello, Harvey here.

I tried searching this thread, but you can imagine how many hits I get for "draw."

Let me start by saying I started shooting pool at about age 12 and played regularly for the next 10 years, then stopped. I was completely self-taught and became quite good, even though I knew nothing about position play, english, draw, or any of that. Again, I had no teacher.

Around age 45 (about 12 years ago), I picked it up again. Much to my chagrin, I found I couldn't shoot worth you-know-what. So I bought books, videos, training aids, etc and used them extensively. I'm getting my shooting skills back but I still can't play position because my CB control, especially draw, sucks. The only time I can draw is when I'm six inches or less from the OB and strike it very hard. And even then the CB only comes back about 3 inches at most.

I'm following all the instructions I've read and watched: level stick; below center (half-tip, one tip), smooth stroke, etc. I've tried all different speeds and distances, with the only results being what I mentioned above.

I've played on all types of tables, too. From super fast to super slow.

Oh, and by the way, I can't make a stop shot either (except under the same circumstances above).

Can you help? I'd really like to get this before I'm too old to stand at the table!

Thanks!
Harvey

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harvey...Your fundamentals need work. Find a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) and you'll get the answers you seek. Tell us where you live and we can probably recommend someone to help you. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Do you have access to a mirror as you shoot. Just watch yourself in a mirror as you stroke to see where you really are striking the cb. If its below center you will draw.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Harvey,

Are you sure you're hitting the cue ball low enough? A lot of people are afraid of ripping the cloth so they strike the ball a little too high. You shouldn't have to strike the ball so hard to get it to draw back a little. Aim lower on the cue ball. Set your bridge hand so that it doesn't move and then make sure you hit the cue ball where you aim. Scraping the cloth with your tip after striking the ball is natural. Cloths are made to endure normal scraping.

Just don't do any loop-de-loops with your stick and all will be well.

Best of luck with your game.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I'd suggest you try placing your bridge hand closer to the cue ball to get a more accurate hit, because it seems that for some reason, you aren't hitting as low as you think you are.
If you have a chance, get with an instructor who will immediately identify your issue and I guarantee they will have you drawing the ball in no time!

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Loosen your grip for max spin. let the CUE slide a couple inches through your hand when you stroke... Gripping tight when hitting hard is probably the most common problem in pool.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Without seeing you in person, I can offer a couple of suggestions that may or may not address your problem. Put your bridge hand about 7 or 8 inches from the cue ball. Make sure your tip contacts below center, about half way between the horizontal center and the bottom of the cue ball. Use a closed bridge to keep your tip down. Now, mark a spot about 3 or 4 inches beyond the cue ball. Stroke through the cue ball and get your tip to end up touching that spot on the cloth. A smooth stroke with a relaxed grip is the key. You have to stroke all the way through to get that draw. Don't jerk the cue back. If you need to get out of the way, lift your bridge hand, or just roll it to the side, AFTER you have finished your stroke.
Steve

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Where are you?

Hello, Harvey here.

I tried searching this thread, but you can imagine how many hits I get for "draw."

Let me start by saying I started shooting pool at about age 12 and played regularly for the next 10 years, then stopped. I was completely self-taught and became quite good, even though I knew nothing about position play, english, draw, or any of that. Again, I had no teacher.

Around age 45 (about 12 years ago), I picked it up again. Much to my chagrin, I found I couldn't shoot worth you-know-what. So I bought books, videos, training aids, etc and used them extensively. I'm getting my shooting skills back but I still can't play position because my CB control, especially draw, sucks. The only time I can draw is when I'm six inches or less from the OB and strike it very hard. And even then the CB only comes back about 3 inches at most.

I'm following all the instructions I've read and watched: level stick; below center (half-tip, one tip), smooth stroke, etc. I've tried all different speeds and distances, with the only results being what I mentioned above.

I've played on all types of tables, too. From super fast to super slow.

Oh, and by the way, I can't make a stop shot either (except under the same circumstances above).

Can you help? I'd really like to get this before I'm too old to stand at the table!

Thanks!
Harvey

As Scott suggested, let us know where you're located, so we can advise you on finding an instructor.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
A drill...

The setup is a straight in shot with the cue ball approx. 2 diamonds away from the object ball. The goal of the shot is to draw the ball back to your bridge hand which you have leave on the table long enough for the cue ball to come back and hit it. Here is the twist. I want you to see the tip of your cue hit the bottom half of the cue ball as you strike it. Pocketing the ball is NOT the goal of this drill. However to draw the ball back to your hand a certain level of accuracy is required. Hit at least 30 attempts a day using this technique. Do this drill everyday for 30 days. At that point you will be drawing like Efren and will have taken a step towards perfecting the game!

Tip: If you do not remember seeing the tip hit the cue ball during the stroke then you must assume that you did not hit the cue ball in the desired location. Push yourself to check after every shot that you remember seeing the tip hit the cue ball regardless of where you hit.

Please post videos of your progress regardless of what you choose to do. There is nothing an instructor likes more than seeing a player work to improve!

Good luck!

Ken

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Try a fist bridge with a short bridge length. Place the object ball about half a diamond away, and shoot at a slight angle so that as the cue ball draws back, it will swing wide and miss your cue and your bridge hand.

Pull your cue back to your bridge, and with a relaxed grip and smooth stroke, finish and freeze past where the cue ball was. You will be pleasantly surprised with how much draw you will get.

Fist+bridge.jpg

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without seeing your stroke, it is impossible to diagnose your problem. If you're aiming below center and not getting a draw, it is safe to say you're not hitting the CB where you're aiming. It's really that simple. That is likely some type of stroke flaw. Too tight a grip. Dropping your elbow or shoulder. This likely is also negatively affecting your game in other areas as well. IMHO, the best advice given here is to seek out a qualified instructor for a personal lesson. Taking some of the other advice here might allow you to draw the CB a bit but won't necessarily solve the root cause problem.

PaulHarvey

Registered
Harvey...Your fundamentals need work. Find a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) and you'll get the answers you seek. Tell us where you live and we can probably recommend someone to help you. :D

Thanks much for the response.

I'm from Dayton, Ohio and have looked for instructors here. The closest I could find is in Columbus, about a 1.5 hour drive.

I've also been tempted to attend Tom Wilson's 3-day workshop (also in Columbus) but can't afford $1000 right now :/

Thanks again!
Harvey

PaulHarvey

Registered
Do you have access to a mirror as you shoot. Just watch yourself in a mirror as you stroke to see where you really are striking the cb. If its below center you will draw.

Wow, that's a new one. I tried a lot of things, but never a mirror. Will definitely try it as soon as I find one.

Thanks!

Harvey

PaulHarvey

Registered
Hello Harvey,

Are you sure you're hitting the cue ball low enough? A lot of people are afraid of ripping the cloth so they strike the ball a little too high. You shouldn't have to strike the ball so hard to get it to draw back a little. Aim lower on the cue ball. Best of luck with your game.

Thanks Fran. Yes, I know I've hit the ball low enough. I know because I've hit it every possible fraction of an inch below center, including low enough to gouge the cloth and send the CB flying off the table.

Not giving up though ;)

Thanks again,
Harvey

PaulHarvey

Registered
I'd suggest you try placing your bridge hand closer to the cue ball to get a more accurate hit, because it seems that for some reason, you aren't hitting as low as you think you are.

Well, I think I've tried that before, but I just tried it again as per your suggestions. No joy :/

I'm still trying to find an instructor.

Thanks,
Harvey

PaulHarvey

Registered
Loosen your grip for max spin. let the CUE slide a couple inches through your hand when you stroke... Gripping tight when hitting hard is probably the most common problem in pool.

I've tried all kinds of grips, but I just tried again just in case. Tried several levels of firmness; still no joy :(

Thanks for the response!
Harvey

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
I've tried all kinds of grips, but I just tried again just in case. Tried several levels of firmness; still no joy :(

Thanks for the response!
Harvey

I haven't seen you shoot a draw shot but I would bet you are punching the stroke instead of a smooth follow through.

PaulHarvey

Registered
Without seeing you in person, I can offer a couple of suggestions that may or may not address your problem. Put your bridge hand about 7 or 8 inches from the cue ball. Make sure your tip contacts below center, about half way between the horizontal center and the bottom of the cue ball. Use a closed bridge to keep your tip down. Now, mark a spot about 3 or 4 inches beyond the cue ball. Stroke through the cue ball and get your tip to end up touching that spot on the cloth. A smooth stroke with a relaxed grip is the key. You have to stroke all the way through to get that draw. Don't jerk the cue back. If you need to get out of the way, lift your bridge hand, or just roll it to the side, AFTER you have finished your stroke.
Steve

Thanks much, Steve. I printed this out and followed every instruction several times. I never once drew the QB, and some of the times I jumped it. Did you mean to say the stick actually makes contact with the table? I've always read it's supposed to be a straight, level stroke. If it's to touch the table, wouldn't it be a downward stroke?

I think tomorrow I'm going to video myself shooting and see what I can see.

Thanks again!
Harvey