Contact point a blur

riding9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been having issues with finding the contact point when its a full ball or 3/4 ball hit. I find sometimes if I look at the top of the object ball for the contact point instead of the middle of the ball that helps but is there some hidden secret to find the contact point? When I was playing 8 hours a day I had no issue now that I only play 5 hours a week its been a problem. Its like its too big of an area to find the contact point but the top of the ball is not very large so its easier to read.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last year in London Johnny Archer and I were up late at the Mosconi Cup talking.

I been having issues with finding the contact point when its a full ball or 3/4 ball hit. I find sometimes if I look at the top of the object ball for the contact point instead of the middle of the ball that helps but is there some hidden secret to find the contact point? When I was playing 8 hours a day I had no issue now that I only play 5 hours a week its been a problem. Its like its too big of an area to find the contact point but the top of the ball is not very large so its easier to read.

I've tried to locate a "contact point" for 40 years and still haven't seen one.

It's funny, I used to watch players like Johnny Archer walk over and look at the object ball straight into the pocket.....I could have swore they were seeing a "contact point" and then they would go back to the cue ball and usually make the shot.

I tried and tried to "see" some kind of contact spot and never could.....finally I gave up and did a LOT of work to develop how I really aimed and it was a sectional system I called 'The Ultimate Aiming System" - this system used either "Center to Edge" or Center to Center" to align all the shots,

Then line up less of the cue ball to create more of an angle.....and this worked great and many players caught on to it back in the late 90s. (see more at www.cjwiley.com)

Last year in London Johnny Archer and I were up late at the Mosconi Cup talking. I finally ask "Johnny, what are you looking at when you step behind the object ball and look at it straight into the pocket.....are you seeing a contact point?"

Johnny shook his head and stated, "No, I'm just getting a different perspective of the angle and the shot.....it's just a way of gathering more information for my mind."

I was relieved and for some reason I still wish I could see a contact point, but I can't.....and I'm not sure if anyone can, at best it's an educated illusion. imho

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have the same problem with contact point and ghost ball. It is tough to see something that is not there. That said you may want to learn a system with more visible targets like centers and edges.

You mentioned that since your practice/playing time is reduced that you are having trouble aiming. Are you sure it is not an inaccuracy in your stoke that is causing this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Understand that your visual perception of the contact point will change as your head and body move. When I stand straight behind the contact point on a difficult shot to mark it with my eyes or cue tip, I don't "stare the spot down" as I walk behind the cue ball because it will seem to shift as I move my head. I call that "Point A" for my students when teaching.

Standing erect behind the cue ball full on the object ball is Point B. Again, don't fixate on it but assume the full stance and then *reacquire* the contact point or Point C. Kranicki describes this phenomenon in his book. The apparent equator of a sphere moves in your vision depending how tall you stand.

When a player gets low on the balls to sight, this also helps with bringing centers and edges or cue ball and object ball together. You can even use the whole of the cue ball as your "sight" on the contact point in this manner--and then, voila, you know exactly how tall or low to stand to aim using this system.

That's all I feel like sharing for free in this lesson. :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
My best visual perspective is standing up naturally - that's where I do my "aiming"

Understand that your visual perception of the contact point will change as your head and body move. When I stand straight behind the contact point on a difficult shot to mark it with my eyes or cue tip, I don't "stare the spot down" as I walk behind the cue ball because it will seem to shift as I move my head. I call that "Point A" for my students when teaching.

Standing erect behind the cue ball full on the object ball is Point B. Again, don't fixate on it but assume the full stance and then *reacquire* the contact point or Point C. Kranicki describes this phenomenon in his book. The apparent equator of a sphere moves in your vision depending how tall you stand.

When a player gets low on the balls to sight, this also helps with bringing centers and edges or cue ball and object ball together. You can even use the whole of the cue ball as your "sight" on the contact point in this manner--and then, voila, you know exactly how tall or low to stand to aim using this system.

That's all I feel like sharing for free in this lesson. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Getting "lower" has never helped my vision of how the cue ball connects to the object ball and I use CTE and CTC alignments. If you consistently make these two alignments you can then allow your subconscious to create the angles.....it's not a difficult task, there's only 4 variations.

My best visual perspective is standing up naturally - that's where I do my "aiming" or aligning....before I get down on the shot.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried to locate a "contact point" for 40 years and still haven't seen one.

It's funny, I used to watch players like Johnny Archer walk over and look at the object ball straight into the pocket.....I could have swore they were seeing a "contact point" and then they would go back to the cue ball and usually make the shot.

I tried and tried to "see" some kind of contact spot and never could.....finally I gave up and did a LOT of work to develop how I really aimed and it was a sectional system I called 'The Ultimate Aiming System" - this system used either "Center to Edge" or Center to Center" to align all the shots,

Then line up less of the cue ball to create more of an angle.....and this worked great and many players caught on to it back in the late 90s. (see more at www.cjwiley.com)

Last year in London Johnny Archer and I were up late at the Mosconi Cup talking. I finally ask "Johnny, what are you looking at when you step behind the object ball and look at it straight into the pocket.....are you seeing a contact point?"

Johnny shook his head and stated, "No, I'm just getting a different perspective of the angle and the shot.....it's just a way of gathering more information for my mind."

I was relieved and for some reason I still wish I could see a contact point, but I can't.....and I'm not sure if anyone can, at best it's an educated illusion. imho
C J,
Since you mentioned Johnny Archer, I was told that Johnny Archer and Ralf Souquet, among others,
advocate looking at the cue ball last, before making the shot.

Do you have any information confirming this?
What's your take on "CB" last shot making?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Getting "lower" has never helped my vision of how the cue ball connects to the object ball and I use CTE and CTC alignments. If you consistently make these two alignments you can then allow your subconscious to create the angles.....it's not a difficult task, there's only 4 variations.

My best visual perspective is standing up naturally - that's where I do my "aiming" or aligning....before I get down on the shot.

I understand. I had mentioned on a much earlier thread how I likewise gauge or feel the angle from a high, almost erect position. My advice, however, was for the reader to try to use the whole cue ball to aim at a contact point rather than a slice of it. To do so, it helps a lot to compress the cue ball and object ball together in front of vision center.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect there are many ways to see the shot when playing pool. There is also a natural ability factor that is not often discussed. I have a friend who shoots similar to CJ Wiley, though he has never heard of CJ. My friend often one strokes and fires. Usually he two strokes and then fires. When I ask him what he uses he says that he points the cue tip at the contact point. I think he is telling the truth as he understands it. I know CJ has another explanation for what he sees so I am not saying they see the same thing, only that they shoot in the same rapid fire fashion that leaves one wonder what the heck are these guys seeing that I can't see as quickly and as easily as they do. Darned if I know. I do know that just because someone says they do something does not mean that is what they are doing.

Not only is my friend an excellent shooter he also gets good position most of the time. However he is very unorthodox (assuming there is a best way to get position). When playing position there is much more to see and here I have a pretty good idea that he is not too knowledgeable about position play and has little use for concepts such as finesse. He basically bangs the balls but gets good position far too often to completely discount his methods. In essence he is an intuitive player and he basically doesn't know what he is doing. He just has lots of intuitive ability. He is a naturally good player.

The rest of us have to work at it and this is where I think that we can teach ourselves different things that help us play better. In the relm of how to sight a pool shot I fall into the back of the ball or contact point aiming. This is controversial especially for those who have a systems approach such as CTE, Pro One or some similar system. I suspect that systems work for many people and I do not care to critique the systematic approach to aiming. To each his own. The comments that follow are for those who, like me, prefer to focus on the contact point.

First here is a link to an article I wrote about visualization.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/PBReview/Imagine_That.htm

It is a generic article that is referenced for a basic introduction. Here are some of the things I have found that apply to the way I play and these ideas can be further refined and adapted for your use if you are inclined. Some are based on my review of the literature some are simply based on my own experience. My comments are terse and require further study that may help you in your attempts at shot making from a visualization perspective (pun intended).

The ability to visualize the shot before and after getting down on the shot is among the most important things you can do.

Visualize the shot from standing behind the shot line, step into the shot and continue to watch the contact point as you bend over. You should be looking at the contact point when you arrive at your shooting position. The appearance of the contact point chnages relative to your head position so it is important to have your head on the shot line and to see the contact point before anything else is done.

Next I check the stroke a few times then I go back to the contact point on the last or last few swings. The arm tends to follow the eyes so you need to be looking at the contact point on the last swing and as the cue ball strikes the object ball to insure that nothing has moved. The side benefit of seeing the cue ball strike the contact point is that you get feed back on your shot making. This is extremely important to me for shot correction (fixing my fundamentals).

To see the contact point I have trained myself in several things based on the psychology of perception.

First, the eye can and must be trained. In this training we should be 90% successful and the shots should not be repetitive. That is. don't shoot the same shot time after time. Each shot should be different and not a slight change in perspective. The mind needs to be able to change gears. Each shot requires me to stand up and go through all of the fundamentals. (I should note that if I miss the shot I continue to shoot that shot until I have made it three times in a row)

You can't practice like this for more than 15 minutes at a time because you can not sustain your concentration in a training prgram. Sustained concentration is required and sessions should be extended slowly over time and only as you can sustain your concentration for that length of time.

Visualization for me begins with the ability to know where the front dead center of the cue ball is located. This is the place on the cue ball that will make contact on a straight in shot. I need to know (feel) where this place is so that I can adjust my aim for off angle shots. That is, on an off angle shot the front dead center does not strike the contact point. However, a point relative to front dead center strikes the contact point and I need to be able to determine where this point is located. I do not try to visualize the point on the front of the cue ball, I do need to “feel” where this point is located so it can be placed on the shot line.

To learn to find the contact point I have used several techniques that seem to help me find this miniscule point. It is about the size of a pin head (1/32” or so).

This line is 1.25 inches off the table and goes through the exact center of the object ball. You can help yourself find this exact center by placing the object ball with the strips level on the table. The dead center of the object ball is between the numbers on a striped ball.

You need to take the time to learn to imagine lines on the table. Like when we were kids and pretended to see thing when we played cowboys and Indians. At first you don't actually “see” anything, you just pretend to see it. In my first attempts I used what I called a nine inch nail that stuck out the back of the object ball about 1.25 inches (I know you can't really see that but I can pretend). That 1.25 inch stick out the back is the radis of the cue ball or what is often call the location of the center of the ghost ball.

The front of the nine inch nail is pointed at a very specific place in the back of the pocket. My training along these lines was “OK.” It helped me to find the contact point. Later I experimented with the Ghost ball and found it was not as useful as seeing front dead center on the cue ball from the shooting position.

To improve my ability to visualize I started to use a thin red wire (about # 14) as a laser line (like on one of the laser pointer you can buy) that went through the whole line (like a nine inch nail) to the point on the back of the pocket. This improved my ability visualize.

The contact point is where the line emerges out the back of the center of the object ball.

Next I stumbled on railroad tracks on either side of the object ball to the place in the pocket. This was of much use in helping me find the laser line. First I saw the railroad tracks and used them to find the laser line then I dropped the rail road tracks and only saw the laser line.

Later I found, what for me is the best way. The railroad track (from the near edge of the object ball to the back of the pocket is the single best line to help me establish the laser line. Then the laser line is used through the center of the ball. It is not a "blur" for me because I "see" a thin red line entering the object ball.

Later I created an intermediate target half way to the contact point (on a long shot). This intermediate target should line up the front of the cue ball,and the contact point. If it doesn't something is wrong. The intermediate target is a spot on the cloth half way tot he target. My eye has learned over time to determine if there is a “straight” line to the target.

I forgot to mention one of my "secrets." After learning to visualize (and this can take a while) I found that visualizing the object ball moving down the laser line is the single most effective thing I can do to improve my object ball sighting. For some reason, and there is probably research to support it), seeing the object ball travel down that laser line before I pull the trigger is the single best correction to all of my other attempts to see the contact point. The original idea came from Jack Nicklaus who said that he visualized the trajectory of every shot before he hit the golf ball. Jack was right, it works amazingly well. I think, don't know, that the brain in some way corrects the shot based on the movement I visualize.

Later, I tried visualizing the cue ball moving and striking the object ball after seeing the object ball move, First this, then this sort of thing. Yep it too helps me see the line better.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"the difference that makes the difference" between being intermediate, advanced or...

C J,
Since you mentioned Johnny Archer, I was told that Johnny Archer and Ralf Souquet, among others,
advocate looking at the cue ball last, before making the shot.

Do you have any information confirming this?
What's your take on "CB" last shot making?

I haven't talked to Johnny about this specific topic, but I doubt if he looks at the cue ball last. Looking at the cue ball is VERY important because it is your immediate, physical target, however the connection to the object ball is essential at the very last moment.

When looking at the object ball it's not necessary to look at any particular spot, you can simply be aware of it's presence and turn up your feel for the angle on your last stroke. I call this "Feeling With my Eyes".....the visual part of pool is important, but "the difference that makes the difference" between being intermediate, advanced or champion level is in the touch/feel aspect of the game. 'The Game {of Touch} is the Teacher'

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe W

Thanks for the write up and the article Joe

Back in 1999 I was playing real well. Your article reminded me that when laying in bed at night all I would think about was visually feeling myself running racks of 9 ball, like I was actually there. Then I would fall asleep.

I'll start doing this again.

Thank you for waking up an old memory. :)

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Then your entire mental focus can be directed at creating all the ........

Thanks for the write up and the article Joe

Back in 1999 I was playing real well. Your article reminded me that when laying in bed at night all I would think about was visually feeling myself running racks of 9 ball, like I was actually there. Then I would fall asleep.

I'll start doing this again.

Thank you for waking up an old memory. :)

John

I just gave a lesson and utilized the "Hammer Push Drill".....it's fantastic. The fact is when I player gets the fundamentals down the subconscious doesn't have to make any adjustments, thus freeing it {your subconscious mind} up to play the game.

Then your entire mental focus can be directed at creating all the angles, position play, and enjoying the art of the game.....most players are doing so many things physically wrong getting down on the shot they first MUST improve their pre shot routine to reach their top performance potential.

Then the game starts to open up and the enjoyment level rises exponentially. 'The Game is the Teacher' ....... and only when the student is ready. ;)

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact is when I player gets the fundamentals down the subconscious doesn't have to make any adjustments, thus freeing it {your subconscious mind} up to play the game.

Too many players waste their energy on the wrong things. Aiming is probably the most wrongly used of all.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Riding9,

I don't know if this will help you or not but I will just throw it out.

I have been using equal & opposite fractional overlap to send the ball into the pocket (no number designations like 1/2, 1/4, etc. If it it's 13/16, that's what is is, I don't care what it actually is, numbers wise).

I have never looked at or tried to look at a contact point. It has always been about making a perceived line on the CB to connect with a perceived line on the OB.

Imagine a line from where the OB touches the cloth to the top center of the ball. Now move it to the out side until it intersects the 'contact point'.

Imagine a similar line on the CB & move it to the inside until it cuts an equal portion of the cue ball on the inside.

Get those two lines to match up. If shooting with a center CB hit, that line will be parallel inside of the cue stick line. Or...said another way, the cue stick line will be parallel outside of that line.

Once those lines on the CB & OB are matched up the sighting is down the cue stick on the parallel line to the outside.

It comes down to your perception of how far outside does the stick need to be aligned to get those vertical lines on each ball to connect.

I am never looking at a contact point, whether it is is a clear shining point or a big blur. I'm looking parallel to make the lines connect.

I hope this helps in some way, even though I know that it may not.

Good Luck, Shoot Well, & Besy Wishes,
Rick

PS I am a low head & eye player so looking from behind the CB it is rather 'easy' to perceive the connection of the 'lines'. If you are a high head player it may not be so 'easy'.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't make aiming too cerebral

Riding9:

I hear ya -- know what you're talking about. I think the problem may be that you're making the technique of aiming too "cerebral" -- i.e. too much conscious mind. You need to have this be a subconscious activity, especially since you're not playing as much as you like and therefore have increased need to rely upon "stored reserves" of muscle memories.

I posted a write-up of my technique I use to populate my "stored reserves" of subconscious / muscle memories for aiming:

Responses to the "A good trick for aiming" thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3629099#post3629099
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3630574#post3630574

Thread: "Leveraging your subconscious (read: don't let your conscious get in the way!)"
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=216564

In summary, the problem a lot of people have with aiming, is that they are making this w-a-y too cerebral. You want to be able to just "see" the shot, line up on / over it, get down on it, take your practice strokes, and fire. The only "cerebral" activity in all of this is your dissection of the pattern used to "get out" -- no matter what the game (i.e. 8-ball, short-rack rotation games, straight pool, one pocket, what-have-you.). Then, once you get on / over the line of the shot, you TURN-OFF your conscious thinking and should be in auto-pilot mode from that point forward.

Give the above a quick read, and let me know what you think! I appreciate any feedback.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Riding9:

I hear ya -- know what you're talking about. I think the problem may be that you're making the technique of aiming too "cerebral" -- i.e. too much conscious mind. You need to have this be a subconscious activity, especially since you're not playing as much as you like and therefore have increased need to rely upon "stored reserves" of muscle memories.

-Sean

I partially agree with you Sean. The term "too cerebral" is much over used by pool players and probably often used inappropriately.

To learn to shoot well one should verbalize, even write down, the things to be learned. This provides directions for the brain / mind and gives it specific indices of what is to be accomplished. During practice one should be able to state what was done right or wrong. In this way we can train the mind to act with the most proficiency.

Later, after the motor activity has been learned, the use of verbalization is a hindrance and may even hurt one's best performance. At this point one stops thinking and allows the mind to self correct based on solid principles that will lead to proficiency.

The man with a plan usually wins.

Coaches and teachers are of use because they can verbalize (cognize) that which is needed. The term "Pre-Shot Routine" is, in a sense, a set of directions that need to be internalized to the point where we no longer needed to think about them. To learn a pre-shot routine it requires much self talk.

You need a plan to learn, once learned you need to stop thinking about it and let the mind self correct until self correction no longer works, then you need another plan.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This feeling of "being in the zone" is much like driving a car when you suddenly.....

Too many players waste their energy on the wrong things. Aiming is probably the most wrongly used of all.

Yes, the true "aiming system" is done through the subconscious and can only be perfected by first [seeking to] perfect the visual approach to the shot. If the visual approach is off, then there's no system that will make a difference.

There's only 8 angles that you need to create to make any shot, however, your subconscious needs a consistent "starting point" to create the angles from. Without setting up to a consistent line between the cue ball and object ball the subconscious will not be able to do the things required......it's not magical, it's "super" natural in how it processes information.

I use the Center/Center (CTC) or Center/Edge (CTE) line between the cue ball and object all as the consistent reference point and allow my subconscious to create the needed angle. Since there's only 8 angles and I use 2 consistent starting lines that means there's only 4 angles off CTC and 4 angles off CTE......one of the angles is "straight in" and the other is "extreme cut" so there's only 3 left off CTC and 3 off CTE.

Once your fundament pre shot routine is correct you can free your mind to concentrate on creating the correct angle and it's "child's play" for your subconscious (it's much easier than driving a car routinely across town). When you reach this level you can start developing your touch and feel for the pocket and the game......this is also something that your subconscious can do very easily and allows you to fall into a "trance/zone/dead stroke" state where you feel like the game is playing through you.

This feeling of "being in the zone" is much like driving a car when you suddenly "real eyes" that you were driving instinctively.....sometimes we can drive through heavy traffic and not remember the trip.....this is the same type "trance" that professional athletes reach to perform at their maximum potential. 'The Game is the Teacher'

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CB last shooting

I haven't talked to Johnny about this specific topic, but I doubt if he looks at the cue ball last. Looking at the cue ball is VERY important because it is your immediate, physical target, however the connection to the object ball is essential at the very last moment.

When looking at the object ball it's not necessary to look at any particular spot, you can simply be aware of it's presence and turn up your feel for the angle on your last stroke. I call this "Feeling With my Eyes".....the visual part of pool is important, but "the difference that makes the difference" between being intermediate, advanced or champion level is in the touch/feel aspect of the game. 'The Game {of Touch} is the Teacher'

Thanks CJ, for your reply.
I'm dying to hear what Johnny Archer has to say about "CB" last shooting. If you have a way to get in touch with Johnny, please do.

I got the information about CB last aiming from a well known pro I talked with at Hard Times pool room in Belflower CA. He said that once you've locked on to your visual OB target, by way of the CB, placing all of your concentrating on the contact spot on the CB increases your CB placement control dramatically.

I've been trying the technique for about two months. I may be crazy, but I think I'm shooting with much more control, touch, and accuracy.