-The Eye Shaft- -Teague Custom Cues-

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello AZB, I've recently purchased a Birds eye shaft
(aka-THE EYE SHAFT)from Dale Teague, founder of Teague Custom Cues..

I wanted to share the specs,and my thoughts, and opinions on this shaft ,as well as the Maker it comes from..
The Eye Shaft is made of 100% High Quality birds eye maple,there are variation availble from Teague such as a soft hitting shaft(#1), a medium hitting shaft(#2) and hard hitting shaft(#3) ,all of which have a very stiff hit,with low deflection (Very low deflection)...
I ordered the #2 at a 12.50 tip diameter,and a #3 at a standard 12.75 tip diameter , my order was placed 5 days prior Christmas day of 2011 ..
I wanted them ready ,and at my house by Christmas; very short notice ,as many of you know for a Custom Cue maker..
This didnt prevent Dale from coming through with the goods,not only did he come through with fast delivery, he also gave me a holiday discount ,which was nice considering how tight money is during this time of the year..
Dale was very formal ,and helpful through out the whole transaction; we discussed Scott Frost (American Pro Pool Player), who is a partial owner and client of THE EYE SHAFT line. Dale held nothing back when I questioned him on the choice shaft, diameter size and taper of Scotts eye shaft, I was surprise to find out that Scott Frost aka The Freezer tip size was 11.60, and that he doesnt use layered tips on his playing shaft, he uses the #2 eye shaft and saids it has much less squirt than
OB-1,and the classic and Predator 314,314-2,and the fat..

That Statement was what had led me to The Eye Shaft, I asked Dale by how much is the eye shaft lower in deflection than the Ob and predator, Dale said the Ob-1 had 7% deflection, Predator 314-2 6% deflection, and his Birds eye shaft were at 2% deflection.. I own a ob classic ,and a predator z-2, 314-2 ,and to me nothing was topping these shafts, so i was very skeptical of the eye shaft , and its claim of lower deflection than Ob1 and pred.314-2.. I say I was cause now that I have the eye shaft in my possession , after comparing for a few days with my predator 314-2 and Ob classic, it quickly became apparent that Dale Teague and Scott Frost wasnt lying when they said the eye shaft was certainly less deflective than the ob1,classic,pred 314-2, and fat..
Not only is the eye shaft less deflective than the shafts Ive mentioned, it also has way more feel, and a stiffer hit ,and it generates more spin on the cue ball than any ld shaft ive used (and I played with all of them) on the market ,production wise ,
That is not including the z2,but has more feel undoubtedly when compared to my z2.
If the fact that The Eye Shaft ,has a stiffer hit ,lower squirt, and produces more spin than the 314-2 ,and ob1,and classic isnt impressive enough for you ,perhaps the fact that its priced at a very affordable $165 will persuade you to give THE EYE SHAFT a try..

I was a skeptic myself initially ,but now know I own the stiffest, lowest deflecting shaft with great feel available to the billiard world to date..

Thank you Mr.Teague for your assistance , and thanks especially for this Great Ld Shaft...........

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two heavily figured Birds Eye shafts. I bought the shaft blanks for the purpose of experimenting.

I like them both.

One is for snooker/golf (10.5 mm). The other is for playing the other games(11.8mm). A local player turned me on to a particular taper that he had on his BEM shaft.

Others have said that the BE makes the shaft 'too busy' when shooting and is a distraction. Fortunately, since I don't see well , don't get low on the ball and jump up while shooting-this has not been a problem.

Oh, wait-I have another one-on my break cue-I like em more than I thought(or remembered)

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ive heard that also from some players ,regarding the shafts look being distracting ,it doesnt bother me none,, I just cant believe that with all the Ld shafts I own, or have owned ,that the b.e.m. would out perform them, I guess sometimes simplicity is the key..

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Something you should consider before purchasing from Dale Teague, check the links below. Sorry to rain on your parade but its a hit or miss situation, seems like a 50/50 chance of getting screwed over. I myself never received shafts he was supposed to make me in trade for some advertising which he got over a years worth and I got the runaround. :cool:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=204945&highlight=dale+teague

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=8831&highlight=dale+teague

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=136395&highlight=teague

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Birdseye Maple shafts do play very nice in general.
I have been told that Birdseye maple shafts can break easily especially from side impact.
Couple of people I know had their shafts shatter.
It was a different cue maker so it could be the construction and not wood properties.

Which shaft do you like better #2 or #3?
What is the weight of your shafts?
On draw shots do you get that spring effect on longer distances like you can get with OB and 314?

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Lenny for the links.
No longer matters if his shafts are good or not, I would not deal with a guy like that period.

Something you should consider before purchasing from Dale Teague, check the links below. Sorry to rain on your parade but its a hit or miss situation, seems like a 50/50 chance of getting screwed over. I myself never received shafts he was supposed to make me in trade for some advertising which he got over a years worth and I got the runaround. :cool:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
My transaction was very smooth and the shafts were precisely as described.. I had no idea of the sour deals that had occurred with Mr.Teague, prior placing my order,, Im sorry to hear of the loss some of my fellow members have suffered from him, He seems like a good guy,all that he had told me turned out to be the truth...

"Wolven"
I gave the medium which is a #2 to my bro as a gift..

Im using the #3 which is a hard and I honestly couldnt be happier with the shafts performance..

The #3 weighs 3.53oz, and as far as long draw, it is much stiffer than ob and predator in all aspects. So no its not springy, when I draw from far away it requires a upward slight angle.
(I think if I changed the tip I could lay it flat and get great draw) Where I can draw long distance with my classic and predator laying the shaft flat , like how bustamante draws long.
With that being said, I want it noted that i have to hit harder with the predator and ob on long draws than I do with the EYE shaft, with the b.e.m. i hit it lighter and still achieve awesome results on long draw..

I hope I have no issue with this shaft shattering,or anything going faulty on it ,that would crush me ,as I feel I finally found the perfect LD shaft for my taste,, I would hope Mr.Teague would take care of me if I had a issue with this shaft..

Last edited:

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
My transaction was very smooth and the shafts were precisely as described.. I had no idea of the sour deals that had occurred with Mr.Teague, prior placing my order,, Im sorry to hear of the loss some of my fellow members have suffered from him, He seems like a good guy,all that he had told me turned out to be the truth...

"Wolven"
I gave the medium which is a #2 to my bro as a gift..

Im using the #3 which is a hard and I honestly couldnt be happier with the shafts performance..

The #3 weighs 3.53oz, and as far as long draw, it is much stiffer than ob and predator in all aspects. So no its not springy, when I draw from far away it requires a upward slight angle.
(I think if I changed the tip I could lay it flat and get great draw) Where I can draw long distance with my classic and predator laying the shaft flat , like how bustamante draws long.
With that being said, I want it noted that i have to hit harder with the predator and ob on long draws than I do with the EYE shaft, with the b.e.m. i hit it lighter and still achieve awesome results on long draw..

I hope I have no issue with this shaft shattering,or anything going faulty on it ,that would crush me ,as I feel I finally found the perfect LD shaft for my taste,, I would hope Mr.Teague would take care of me if I had a issue with this shaft..

If you've read the three threads Lenny posted I would consider yourself very very lucky. He seems to rip off all that he comes in contact with...He may have been laying the ground work for you or your friends to order more shafts or cues and then UH OH..........IMHO if you want to talk about the way a BE shaft plays I would start another thread that doesn't involve this shyster cue maker. Maybe just touching on the characteristics of BE shafts and their playability..

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

Thanks Lenny that made my decison very easy. This is why I like forums. Good people taking care of good people. Keep the bad out. It is hard to hide in the world of the Internet