Oversized Brunswick factory blank

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Title says it all. Super fat cone blank, straight with gorgeous maple. The grooves above the points would turn out and sharpen up if it is tapered down further. Would make a fantastic conversion but cutting it feels like a crime.

Very cool example, I've never had one of these but drooled over the ones that TATE has pictured on his website. Happy to give it a home with me.

pDnHvxQ_d.webp

fwpkX2J_d.webp

2127Pjo_d.webp

JALPoMQ_d.webp

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title says it all. Super fat cone blank, straight with gorgeous maple. The grooves above the points would turn out and sharpen up if it is tapered down further. Would make a fantastic conversion but cutting it feels like a crime.

Very cool example, I've never had one of these but drooled over the ones that TATE has pictured on his website. Happy to give it a home with me.

pDnHvxQ_d.webp

fwpkX2J_d.webp

2127Pjo_d.webp

JALPoMQ_d.webp

I guess I think the other way, its a shame to waste it. Folks ask for cue makers that I would send it to for a conversion.

I guess I am biased, but I always think that Bill Schick is who I would send it to. He is my favorite cue maker, but his conversions just scream out, "FIRST CLASS".

I wish you the best in whatever you decide my brother.

Ken

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I guess I think the other way, its a shame to waste it. Folks ask for cue makers that I would send it to for a conversion.

I guess I am biased, but I always think that Bill Schick is who I would send it to. He is my favorite cue maker, but his conversions just scream out, "FIRST CLASS".

I wish you the best in whatever you decide my brother.

Ken

That's fair, I have lots of incredible blanks for conversion. This one is a time capsule off the factory and perfect, I like looking at it. I hear what you're saying, though.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
That's pretty damn cool, honestly that's the first one I've seen. I'll have to check out Tates. Thanks for showing it.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's fair, I have lots of incredible blanks for conversion. This one is a time capsule off the factory and perfect, I like looking at it. I hear what you're saying, though.

Bob Dzuricky. If there is someone out there whose work is any cleaner, I haven't seen it. ;) He's in the top tier IMO. :cool:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chuck it up between centers and mount the router and taper bar

Attachments

• e8c7dfad00.jpg
    e8c7dfad00.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 577

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok.....I can't stop drooling at this one. How the heck do you come across these things all the time!?!?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one is a time capsule off the factory and perfect, I like looking at it.

Gotta agree with that!

There's loads of cues, conversions, out there.
There are very few of those blanks left.
Even as an "investment" it will only continue to get more valuable.
As a conversion, it drops to the market x the converters name - would be brilliant, but suddenly a lot less unique.

smt

PS- under the caliper it looks like not only the obvious ferule, but a tip on it too? Someone couldn't resist playing it? or did they really go that far before final turning. Or is that just a shadow?

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Gotta agree with that!

There's loads of cues, conversions, out there.
There are very few of those blanks left.
Even as an "investment" it will only continue to get more valuable.
As a conversion, it drops to the market x the converters name - would be brilliant, but suddenly a lot less unique.

smt

PS- under the caliper it looks like not only the obvious ferule, but a tip on it too? Someone couldn't resist playing it? or did they really go that far before final turning. Or is that just a shadow?

These were completely built, then sanded down to size with the oversized tip and ferrule in one shot. Once down to size, they stamped on the numbers and signature, then a hot lacquer finish slathered on and out the door they went.

It is really not playable right now, a true telephone pole.

Almost 15mm straight back to 1.45". Super chunky.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool. Keep her just like that. 20 years from now when you get bored looking at it, then turn it into a conversion.

linxhack

Registered
Bump for a beautiful example of cue making history. Toss her in the back of the closet or put her on display. Either way, imo, she's better together than in pieces. Always in awe of your finds, my friend.