Alex Pagulayan going to UK to try pro snooker

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
He certainly does, but it's harder when you have to actually make the other player foul, and he doesn't care if he sells out as long as he makes a good hit.

Alex needed snookers by the time all the reds were gone, and he did seem to try for them on the green and brown (several innings passed while they were on each of these balls). By the time Wild made the brown it was pretty well over.

-Andrew

Are you watching this? is it being broadcast anywhere?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so alex is something like 8-1 vs guys that has been living and breathing snooker all their life. pretty outstanding!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
ALEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happydance:

One more for the ticket

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is pretty amazing. I have been a skeptic of him making it honestly but glad he is getting closer.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
Can anyone explain how it's 71 to 47, with "13 points left", and they are still playing?
The game isn't over until the first score on the black, as there is theoretically no limit to the number of points you can claw back from snookers, but you need at least two object balls on the table obviously. Due to television it's now customary for a player to concede if snookers are required, but not mandatory, and it's entirely up to the player. But if it's the last frame and you both need to win then why not go for as many snookers as you need?

Also good way of slowing down someone on fire is to keep a dead frame plodding along. Or you might want to pot the last few balls yourself before re-racking to get your arm going if you've been in your seat for a while.

Boro Nut

ETA my congratulations to Alex. I thought he exceeded my expectations in the first competition winning a couple of tight contest I thought he had a good chance of losing. But he really looks like he's getting a head of steam up can do it, if not this time, at least in the timeframe he's set himself. I'd love to see him make it to the televised stages of a tournament.

Last edited:

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to see Alex get so far. However, he is really lacking fire power. Looking at his stats he made 3 50+ breaks so far.

Zhang Anda played the first qualify tournament and made 17 50+ breaks. Tian pengfei made 13 50+ breaks. Alex has to really up his fire power. Safety play alone isnt going to win you matches.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
And let's not forget that even if he falls at the last hurdle he already has a good chance of playing in a few professional tournaments next season by dint of his frames-won record. A point is awarded for each frame won, and when the number of entrants falls short of the 128 players optimum the best performers from Q school are invited to fill the vacant slots.

Boro Nut

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex has allowed 1 break of 50+ so far in this event.

His next opponent, Liam Highfield has had 9 with 2 centuries.

I'd be "lion" if I said it was going to be easy, but I'm hoping he pulls it off.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
At this point, does he have to qualify for haters to eat their words?

Freddie

Freddie,
Common sense doesn't make any of us haters. I know your technical so we will boil it down to a math & time problem.

AC (Alex's Chances) = (RA (Raw Ability) x Expericance x Heart x Snooker Knowledge x SM (Stroke Mechanics)) / (Age/30)

Where Alex has a lot of the required attributes...he is OVER 35! In a simple statement. Too old to start now. Yes he's got some experience with Snooker but beating up on a bunch of locals whose best before date was when Nixon was in office is not that big a deal. The Canadian championship now is largely a local thing where almost none of the rest of Canada even participate in. Snooker in Canada is in the great decline. In the 70's or 80's if you won you were probably TOP 20 in the world or better. Today not so much.

Data Point Number 2:
Stephen Hendry is still considered the best tournament player EVER.
Turned Pro at 17
First World Championship - 1991, Age 21
Last World Championship - 1999, Age 30 (7 in total)
Never won a Major after that. Last tourny win 2005 (Malta age 36)

Alex will be 36 next month. Age is not just a number. It's math.

I wish Alex much success but he should have come to the UK two decades ago.

Nick

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, you are completely missing the point with this wishing for more high breaks from Alex. Stop watching 147s on youtube. That is not your average snooker game.
He's playing against players who are playing (almost) as well as him and under all that pressure.
Every match must be a tactical war out there.
Not many players have scored many 50+ breaks when playing tight matches.

Remember what Selby did to O'Sullivan recently at the world championships? Just one century in the whole final. Ronnie scored 4 I think. Still lost convincingly at the end.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
If he beats Liam Highfield that will speak for itself.
It will be a dream come true for Barry Hearn if he does. He tried to get the USA interested in snooker decades ago. Look at all the interest here in an untelevised amateur competition:

Threads
A Pagulayan playing amateur snooker - Views = 35,000
The World Professional Snooker Championship 2014 - Views = 9*

Boro Nut

*includes one slip of the mouse and two misdirected links from Facebook

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Freddie,
Common sense doesn't make any of us haters. I know your technical so we will boil it down to a math & time problem.

AC (Alex's Chances) = (RA (Raw Ability) x Expericance x Heart x Snooker Knowledge x SM (Stroke Mechanics)) / (Age/30)

Where Alex has a lot of the required attributes...he is OVER 35! In a simple statement. Too old to start now. Yes he's got some experience with Snooker but beating up on a bunch of locals whose best before date was when Nixon was in office is not that big a deal. The Canadian championship now is largely a local thing where almost none of the rest of Canada even participate in. Snooker in Canada is in the great decline. In the 70's or 80's if you won you were probably TOP 20 in the world or better. Today not so much.

Data Point Number 2:
Stephen Hendry is still considered the best tournament player EVER.
Turned Pro at 17
First World Championship - 1991, Age 21
Last World Championship - 1999, Age 30 (7 in total)
Never won a Major after that. Last tourny win 2005 (Malta age 36)

Alex will be 36 next month. Age is not just a number. It's math.

I wish Alex much success but he should have come to the UK two decades ago.

Nick

You forgot desire in your math. Stephen Hendry pretty much lost the desire after he already did everything in snooker.

Alex is hungry to play, as if he were a 20 year old.

You don't know what's in a champion's head. One thing about Alex is that he already KNOWS what a lot of the snooker players don't know and that is how it feels to be a world champion. So having already tasted what that's like in one discipline he is hungry to go for it in another one.

He might not make it, but if it were ALL math based on age then no snooker player would still be competitive after 25. Fact is that many still are.