Alex Pagulayan going to UK to try pro snooker

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Alex won the first two games. His safety play was great. His positioning and speed control during those two games (which he won) was way off. Maybe not used to the table yet, I don't know. He still won those two games due to some good potting and great safety play.

I haven't watched all of the games after that, but apparently he is now down 5-2...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex won the first two games. His safety play was great. His positioning and speed control during those two games (which he won) was way off. Maybe not used to the table yet, I don't know. He still won those two games due to some good potting and great safety play.

I haven't watched all of the games after that, but apparently he is now down 5-2...

They broke down their cues. I think 5-2 was the final score.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was shocked myself, he made much harder shots earlier and after that miss! snooker is not forgiving got to account for everything accurately.

And that's exactly what happens in 14.1, too. No different.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His positioning and speed control during those two games (which he won) was way off. Maybe not used to the table yet, I don't know.

I was puzzled too.

Table with new cloth on the first day of the tournament, add heat from the TV lights making it even faster.
He didn't look very comfortable.
As someone said, he can play much better than that.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was puzzled too.

Table with new cloth on the first day of the tournament, add heat from the TV lights making it even faster.

I'm sure he can but adapting to table conditions is secondhand nature to pro players their faced with it all the time ,, but jumping from 7 n 9s is one thing jumping to. 12 footer is another matter , I seriously doubt that it can be done on a consistent basis , if Alex wants to be a top snooker player I believe the only possible chance although I think it's slim is to concentrate only on snooker

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was puzzled too.

I saw him win the Canadian snooker championship a couple years ago and he played far better. It would be nice to see him get comfortable on the English snooker tour because there is good money to be made.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw him win the Canadian snooker championship a couple years ago and he played far better. It would be nice to see him get comfortable on the English snooker tour because there is good money to be made.

That's equivalent to a mini tour it's many steps up competing on that level
IMHO he has no shot unless he goes full time even with that above middle of the road would be a great accomplishment. , it would still pay him more that pool does

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5-2 Astley
Alex missed shots when he was in.
Needs more time on those conditions.

I know it's the camera angle, but the black spot looks farther off the rail
than I'm used to. I always thought it was 12.75 inches from the cushion.
I see it's now listed as 12.8....
...are my eyes that good?

Good catch! i know black has two spots, i know the closer to bottom rail the harder to pocket, is higher spot reserved for qualifier matches , how is it determined? Thanks.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
The Black only has one spot. Technically is all about divisions of playing surface.

The black spot is at a distance equal to 1/11 of the playing length away from the top cushion.

Nick.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Black only has one spot. Technically is all about divisions of playing surface.

The black spot is at a distance equal to 1/11 of the playing length away from the top cushion.

Nick.
Well, that's true now, but in the 1800s the spot was moved around to make potting harder or easier. I'm surprised that anyone these days would think that there was any variation in the spots.

Here are the official rules of snooker, which changed yesterday:
http://www.wpbsa.com/sites/default/files/uploads/official_rules_edited_12.08.14_web_version.pdf

No mention of two places for the black spot.

And while a ratio of 11:1 is within the tolerance of the length of the table (+- 1/2 inch) the specified ratio is 11.015 or so (3569/324)

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that's true now, but in the 1800s the spot was moved around to make potting harder or easier. I'm surprised that anyone these days would think that there was any variation in the spots.

Here are the official rules of snooker, which changed yesterday:
http://www.wpbsa.com/sites/default/files/uploads/official_rules_edited_12.08.14_web_version.pdf

No mention of two places for the black spot.

And while a ratio of 11:1 is within the tolerance of the length of the table (+- 1/2 inch) the specified ratio is 11.015 or so (3569/324)

Thanks Bob, great book. I used to play in the middle east snooker, and we used to ask which spot for the black! standard or above by i think 4 or 6 inches basically to make potting it a bit easier. I guess it was local house rule then.