ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 14 00.27.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,863
Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Rest in Peace

Ronnie,

You are one of the true All Time Greats. Incredible skill, personality and a game changing impact on one of the most popular games of our sport.

Millions of people will hold you in their thoughts for the rest of their lives. You are sorely missed.

Rest in peace,

Will Prout

Jimmy Reid

US Open 9 Ball Champion
Greatest One Pocket Player Of All Time

"No one ever taught me anything, I learned by playing five hundred a game". --Ronnie Allen

http://www.onepocket.org/RonnieAllenInterview.htm

Hi all Jimmy Reid here, Ronnie and I traveled together in the 90's a few times for a couple of weeks each time.

After a few years of playing one pocket I was competing on a level with everyone else in the world by 1972 with one true life, faster than a speeding bullet excepton, Ronnie Allen.

During one pocket events I would always whenever possible stand near Jack (Jersey Red) Breit, I recall a group of us standing near the bleachers in Johnston City about 1970, Danny Jones, Joey Spaeth, Red and I would discuss the incoming players' best move. I think Ronnie's opponent was Eddie Burton.

We all had agreed on the right shot the first few innings at the table for both players. Then after we all agreed on Ronnie's best move for his next shot. Ronnie did something none of us saw coming, rearranged all the balls and left Eddie in jail, a powerful move that I guarantee you if they did think of it no one but Ronnie could've executed it to perfection as he'd just done.

The very large, likable, flamboyant and as knowledgeable a one pocket player as anyone in the world, Jersey Red looked at me in shock and laughed. Then Red turned his hand sideways, he talked with his hands, and said "Ronnie Allen is the greatest one pocket player of all time with plastic balls"
In this day and age that sounds crazy all the balls are plastic. 15 years earlier the majority of pool rooms still used clay balls.

Ronnie Allen and I were members of a mutual admiration society, I love Ronnie and I know what he's saying right now, look at all the suckers running around worried about death. No R.I.P. from me, congratulations on your transition Ronnie we'll all miss you here but I hope to catch you later on the flip side.

"Thank God I lived during a time the likes of which will never be seen again. Then to have the shooting star of the most charismatic player ever,
Ronnie ' fast Eddie ' Allen put an exclamation point on those times was truly a blessing." Jimmy Reid

Last edited:

Mr Nobody

Banned
What a talent , sometimes a blurr around the table . Colorful and fun . Watched him in 1980 get 2nd to Buddy at South Texas Open , Jimmy Reid got 3rd . Also watched him run around a 6 x 12 snooker table hustlin' a golf game . He robbed everybody but we had a blast and was truly amazed by his ability , it was effortless . this was not too long before he passed . What a player ... RIP brother ...

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
What a talent , sometimes a blurr around the table . Colorful and fun . Watched him in 1980 get 2nd to Buddy at South Texas Open , Jimmy Reid got 3rd . Also watched him run around a 6 x 12 snooker table hustlin' a golf game . He robbed everybody but we had a blast and was truly amazed by his ability , it was effortless . this was not too long before he passed . What a player ... RIP brother ...

HI Is there a book that was written about Ronnie Allen
Maybe someone knows

Thanks Leonard

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie was loved by most of us,he brought a lot of excitement to pool
I remember him sharing regrets over some personal matters
especially the divorce.
He held his wife dear to him and blamed himself,regret

we seldom live the life we expected,and often regret our decisions
Ronnie was like us all in that respect
Dean

9-ball

Registered
Ronnie Allen

:smile: I didn't know him as well as some. but i liked him and loved to watch him play. i think of him often, especially if i am doing anything involved with pool.:smile:

Last edited: