What is a stacked leather wrap??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im not a cuemaker...:(....:embarrassed2:
what is that and how is it different from a regular leather wrap???
sorry for such a simple question

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
It's strips of leather installed around a cue in a fashion similar to a linen wrap. If done properly it feels like solid leather but with more options in patterns/color combos. If done poorly it feels like beef jerky wrapped around a cue.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a spirally wrapped thin leather lace...it is an imitation of stacked leather as is found on things like knife handles. Stacked leather handle examples link

Stacked leather handle cue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteSBoXm9bI

I have only once seen a real stacked leather wrap on a cue and it was in this forum. Nobody seems to have pursued it though as I have not seen it done again.

Real stacked leather would be amazing, probably woundnt thick as the knife makers use but thick enough so its a "real" stacked leather, not a old shoe lace wrapped around a butt and finished to appear to look like something it isn't.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Real stacked leather would be amazing, probably woundnt thick as the knife makers use but thick enough so its a "real" stacked leather, not a old shoe lace wrapped around a butt and finished to appear to look like something it isn't.

Well, it was done, and posted in this forum. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Here it is:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=250248

attachment.php

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks all for the replies
chopdoc the links were very informative
thanks
:thumbup:

mohler

Registered
Here are some of the stacked leather handles I've made. The 2 black ones have 70, 1/4" rings , about 17" total. When put on the core,then compressed to a 12" handle they are about as hard as wood. The brown one was done with less rings and not compressed enough, so it had a little chipping on the edges between rings. This one is going to be redone. I also thought it might look nice with thinner rings at each end, wrong. When it gets redone they will all be the same thickness.

Attachments

• DSC00266.jpg
    DSC00266.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,710
  • DSC00270.jpg
    DSC00270.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,640
  • DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,630

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the wrap grove need to be that ID of your leather rings? If so how does that affect playability of the cue..... I would think it would make it wobbly or vibrate because it is so thin at the handle

Unless the leather rings give support?

FAST_N_LOOSE

Silver Member
Are the forearm and butt where the pressure ends up from compressing the rings on the handle?

mohler

Registered
The rings are put on the 3/4 " id core, glued & compressed on the lathe and left to dry. When then put together with the forearm & butt sleeve there isn't any more pressure on those joints than normal. It's compressed hard enough that there isn't any vibration, or wobbly. It feels like any other type handle.

mohler

Registered
That inside diameter you see on the individual ring is decieving. After installed,the OD is much larger the the final OD of the cue, a lot of that is turned off.The final OD is about where the red circle is or this pictire. I cut them much bigger than needed because there easier to cut without distorting the leather.

Attachments

• DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,490

FAST_N_LOOSE

Silver Member
I've seen this technique on knives and fishing rods, but yours are the first cues I've seen it on. Do you have a website?

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
The stacked handle has been used for many years in the knife making industry, and Ka-Bar was a classic example. There's a couple things that I would throw out there.... just food for thought, which may or may not have any bearing on cues

EVERY stacked leather handle that I have redone has had a rusted tang on the inside. The leather retains moisture, and so over time it rusts the tang of the blade. (there are pics on my website if you want examples) It's the same reason you wouldn't store your knife in it's sheath....moisture.

The compressed rings used for knife handles are also usually soaked in epoxy once close to final size.....You see that a lot with leather, paracord, jute, etc....

In the last few years we started to see Ka-Bar's with a Kraton "synthetic" handle, which isn't supposed to be slippery when wet, like the leather handle. So I dunno how much of that pertains to cues, but either way it sure is a nice a look when finished out ...

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think it looks like a really great handle. That's why I wanted to post the link when I saw this thread.

I am surprised nobody has really pursued it yet. Hopefully we will see more of this.

mohler

Registered
The downside is it adds about 3 hours to the build time, over a standard wrapped handle. And if it ever got damaged the cue would have to be cut apart and rebuilt. The advantage is if it gets a little dull and worn looking , just dye it again, polish it again with atom wax and it looks like new.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The downside is it adds about 3 hours to the build time,

Well...that makes it a "legitimately more expensive" option then. That's how I see it.

Damage would require rebuilding the handle, yes. But as you said it can be refinished fairly easily.