Great Pool Room Owners

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
John I forget his last name, Adam, owned Long Beach Billiards on Long Beach Blvd. Adam Brostoski I think, great guy, we almost opened a new joint on the traffic circle as you head south to Hunt. Beach. Great guy, his brother owns the billiard mfg co. (forgot the name) that move up to the NW a few years back (Golden West??). Adam didn't want to lease the Bldg for $800 a month (1979) he thought it was too much, and his brother was going to supply us will all the tables up front to help us get started. He was special, one time he complained so much about the gypsies eating all his free popcorn and tabasco I said I had a suggestion to stop that habit. I had a hot pepper tree growing, so I whipped em all up in blender with some water and vinegar and gave em a few bottles to ward off the gypsies. He would not risk losing a customer, but after three weeks he broke down ( I knew he would) and gave out a bottle, he said he couldn't believe it, the guy sat there, sweatin' like a pig did most the bottle and never complained, we had a good laugh. He ended up livin/dying in Siezure City out in Orange county, complainiing that no one at the center would bet over a quarter (they had pool tables). He always had a cigar in his mouth and a smile or a wise ass comment to boot on his face. Miss the old fart.

I second Dan Tull Olathe
Jim McDermott Tulsa
Scott Smith, Colorado, Back in the day
Danny Shea/Frank Burgess, Denver
Terry McFadden, Denver, don't get any better than this guy in his prime, tho Jim McDermott was always hard to beat by any standards, his employees show that.

Last edited:

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
Gene is still around & plays at Hard Times, Sacramento & I see him every week. He won a big Handicap Tournament there last spring. Eddie still plays pretty good & finished in the money at the Jointed Cue Tournament in March. The Jointed Cue has not changed since the 70's except they changed the seating in the tournament room and added one more Gold Crown table & there are three billiard tables up front now. John

Eddie Clark was hilarious...he had so much gamble that nothing happened at his house without a bet. He bet his wife for who took out the trash!!

He and Gene owned Country Club Billiards in Sacramento and I worked for them both in 1969, when I was 16.

Lots of stories from that era...:)

Joe

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Maidhoff-Drexeline

Hardest working room owner I know and truly a nice guy. Not to mention world class player! He’s by farrrrrr the best room owner I’ve met so far!!!

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Shoes - John Lavine

I was visiting family in Chicago three/four years ago and snuck off to play in one of his iron man 1p tournaments. I'd wager there were at least 40 players in his room and he knew every single person's first name - not an exaggeration....

A very gregarious and hospitable host.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Eric Baker, the owner of Family Billiards in Clearwater, for many reasons. First, ( and not necessarily indicative, but... ) he's owned it for nearly 40 years, so everyone knows what to expect. He keeps the place clean, the tables recovered regularly ( @ every 2 years at the most ) and most of all, he is fair and fair-minded in the way he runs the room. He doesn't brook idiots well but he also doesn't bar anyone unless it's well-deserved. He's friendly and patient ( mostly ), and, as befitting a room owner, plays PRETTY F'ING SPORTY. Plays all games well, plays one hole jam up, jelly tight. He's in every single day, from open 'til @ 6 or so in the evening. And he shares his knowledge with ( practically ) anyone and has a wealth of it to share. Over-all, he runs a great room.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best

While Northfield Billiards was a cast of characters and a great place to hang out and play
The room basically ran itself. The room had a ton of untapped potential the 3 owners were too busy gambling and never saw the big picture.

That being said the best owner of a Poolroom in N.East Ohio was Larry Robinson everyone called him the Diamond Man. His room was located on Manchester Rd.
in Akron Ohio, Diamond Billiards with all new 9 ft Diamonds.

Larry was a former partner in a successful Bowling Alley he sold his share and pursued his passion Pool. He copied the business plan of a Bowling Center and filled his week nights with in house leagues. He also had several tournaments per week.

His walls were filled with retail Pool items from Cuesticks , bridges, gloves, books, everything from A to Z related to Pool.

No booze just good food at the snack bar.

Larry had to sell his passion due to his health that eventually took his life. Had he remained in good health the room would have had continued success. The new owner
changed the whole mission statement and in two years turned it into a failed Party Center.

JTRomero

In all the years I have played pool and all of the places I have played, I think these guys have stood out as the very best pool room owners I have had the good fortune to know, be friends with and play in their rooms. Hopefully some of you will have more stories about them or some of the owners you know.

"Indian Joe" Monzingo, The Golden Cue, Rosemead, CA

Joe & his son in law Bob opened the Golden Cue in the late 60?s I believe. There was always something going on. Close to downtown Los Angeles, the Mexican players were in there quite a bit, and since Archie The Greek hung out in there, some kind of action was always going on. They had four domino tables that they also played cards on. You paid time just like a pool table, and we played pinochle, gin, hearts and sometimes poker. You could shoot dice with Joe's old friend Curly off the board in the back room, but you couldn't win. Joe went in with me when pool action showed up & we played anyone who came through the door. I was in the insurance business in an office a few miles away and came in daily. We booked winners and losers but were always in action. I ran a 9 ball tournament on Weds. nights and my old friend Frank The Barber and I spent many a Weds. night next door at the Silver Mug after the tournament with some of the tournament players. Some of the players I hooked up with over the years there were the who's who of road players, but I always ground out enough $$ from the regulars to take a decent shot at them. When St. Louie Louie came in (we didn't know who he was) I won the first set, a race to five for $200, and Joe yelled "Bet Four Hundred". That was a mistake that cost us a thousand. A day or two later there was an article on the front page of the LA Times sports section about St. Louie Louie Roberts giving a pool exhibition at the LA Elks Club. Wish it would have come out a day or two earlier. They moved the room to So. El Monte in the 80?s and Joe & Bob finally sold it and it is still going strong as far as I know.

John Henderson

I know I'm reviving an ancient post but Indian Joe was my grandfather and Bob "Fuzz" is my uncle. I grew up in that joint...

-JT

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted in this thread 12 years ago, mentioning Tim White and Blackbird Billiards in Kalamazoo MI. Unfortunately the room never reopened. Some of the tables are in my friend, and fellow Master Instructor, Lance Cowles' Cuesports of Battle Creek operation. Tim is still around, and I see him at the DCC, along with a lot of other people that I only see once a year! :thumbup:

I was completely surprised that nobody from Chicago mentioned Chris Crisman, owner of Chris's Billiards, which is still going strong. Chris was a poolplayer's room owner, and ran a fantastic poolroom for decades. While it is not as nice as it was then, there is a complete wealth of information, pictures and newspaper articles covering the walls!

Neither was Marie's Golden Cue mentioned. Marie's was the stalwart Chicago poolroom after Bensingers closed, and before Chris's opened. Ted was a great guy who had everything a poolplayer wanted! Finally closed a couple of years ago, it was purchased by my good friend Waheeb Merchant, completely remodeled, and now lives it's new life as Surge Billiards & Coffee Bar!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DAN DADIAN - Fresno, CA

In the Central Valley Region of California, the name that stands out is Dan Dadian.
He operated parlors in Fresno, Modesto & Reno and also sponsored pro tour events.
Dan was my dear friend & loved by so many fellow players and acquaintances....RIP.

Matt B.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weenie Beenie!

JAM

Bill Staton ( Weenie Beenie ) Built his room in 1967 for pool players to gamble.
The room was in a basement of a small shopping center in Arlington Va.
The room was huge. He built a tournament room with 2 tables and bleachers
on both sides. He put in a billiard table ( later became a 10' snooker table,
2 ping pong tables ( became 1 table later ) , a bar table, and I believe
21-22 gandy big G's ( had them use laminated rails similar to gold crowns).
He also had 1 gold crown ( don't know if GC! GC2).
This room could have had 40+ tables, but Beenie wanted lots of room
between tables so players could play without having to bump into
other players.
By the early 70's, this room was the biggest gamblin room on the east
coast ( The Rack in Detroit was known for high stakes matches , but Beenie's
place had great action every month, every year for 10+ years. Plus, you didn't have to be a top player to make good money there. Any month you walked in,
there would be a number of the best players in the country, plus many
road players and a number of the washington, maryland, and Va best
players. 24/7 action, no key for the front door !
Beenie told me in 72' that he built the room for players, not to make money.
He was surprised when the room made a lot of money.
From the golden age of pool !

Island Drive

Silver Member
Hub

Probably the best event location in the USA.
Central....within 500 miles of many major cities.
A days drive for two people.
The servers have always been the best....reflecting the owners character.
With KC so close, good grub is a given.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Early 70's

Bill Staton ( Weenie Beenie ) Built his room in 1967 for pool players to gamble.
The room was in a basement of a small shopping center in Arlington Va.
The room was huge. He built a tournament room with 2 tables and bleachers
on both sides. He put in a billiard table ( later became a 10' snooker table,
2 ping pong tables ( became 1 table later ) , a bar table, and I believe
21-22 gandy big G's ( had them use laminated rails similar to gold crowns).
He also had 1 gold crown ( don't know if GC! GC2).
This room could have had 40+ tables, but Beenie wanted lots of room
between tables so players could play without having to bump into
other players.
By the early 70's, this room was the biggest gamblin room on the east
coast ( The Rack in Detroit was known for high stakes matches , but Beenie's
place had great action every month, every year for 10+ years. Plus, you didn't have to be a top player to make good money there. Any month you walked in,
there would be a number of the best players in the country, plus many
road players and a number of the washington, maryland, and Va best
players. 24/7 action, no key for the front door !
Beenie told me in 72' that he built the room for players, not to make money.
He was surprised when the room made a lot of money.
From the golden age of pool !

Right after the Burlington IA tournament, where the promoter stiffed the players, I drove to the Beanie/Devalle room in my Ford Falcon coupe. Bout 300 miles w. of VA my car broke down. I had a 140ci in line 6. I pulled off the hwy got a room, cooled the engine. took the Head off and walked it over to the Ford Dlr next door to the Hotel. Next day, new gasket set, coolant and install head. Finish my trip to Bean's room. Was a below ground structure, a couple 3? landings from the doorway to the floorway. When you walk in you immediately go down with visibility of the entire room as you enter. On the L/Side of the room there were tables partitioned off with drapes between them. I got spotted the break playing a guy I can beat with weight, was on a table that was impossible to make a ball on the break. Went off like a rocket. Next saw Louie Roberts playing this guy Mike Carella. St. Louie Louis was now broke, down to his gold jewelry and hocked it for one last set. Got his mix right, came back and busted Mike. It was a damp room/pit, gold crowns were around and we were 15 feet below ground....the floor tiles were made out of fiberglass. No water damage with these.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JR, you were around and active during the height of pool in Calif. I played in a bar league, Southern Calif Cocktail Lounge League, in the very late 80's and early 90's. Our team captain quit because he was going to Hard Times. I decided to check it out and it was like a Wild West Show. Archie, the captain, has a plaque next to Big Bertha as being the only player to ever go out in one inning going 1-6. Cost Martin of Superior Cues double.

Kenny Thomason was a great owner. He bought it from Chuck and it was actually more than he was looking for as he just wanted around a 10-12 table room.

The current owner drove off all of the Golf players over something stupid.

Last Liability game a I saw at HT was & Morro & Kim Davenport. They played for 3 days with Morro bundled up in a jacket & sweating as he had a bad cold. Damn, he had a lot of gamble in him. Last day they were playing $30 a point. Kim took the $ home. Morro should have been in a sick bed

Ken Hosheide bought the Golden Cue in S. El Monte. When he bought the room the action of previous years had petered out but Ken ran a successful room with leagues and smart business practices. Hell of a guy.

I've watched you when you came through town. You and "Little Al" Romero were fun to watch. Hope "Little Al" is doing well up there.

I've heard great stories about Petersen's room.

What was the name of the room aT 5 Points over by Baldwin Park?

Anyway--Good luck to you. You and Jay need to collaborate on a book about pool in So. Calif. Always enjoy stories about Keith. Probably my favorite to watch. Would watch him win 5K early on Sat night and give him breakfast money on Sunday morning when the room opened. Ponies at Los Alamitos always got him.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Tull, Shooters in Olathe. Great room, great staff and outstanding equipment. One of the last REAL pool rooms I know of. Best part is, he is still going strong.

I second that vote. It's always a pleasure to drive up & watch or play in that tournament.