jump cue question

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
loose!
The wrist has to be loose as well, most of the speed comes from it.
I usually grip the cue with my thumb and the first finger.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
That's a great question Jake. I'll just say this. I had quit pool before jump cues were invented, at least as far as I knew. People were just starting to jump with their playing cue. I couldn't do it. We played two shot shootout anyway. When I came back last year of course I still couldn't jump, but I knew that I had to learn. I bought a few jump cues. I watched some videos and instructional shorts. I struggled. VooDoo Daddy from this forum helped me when he was in Detroit. The man can flat out JUMP ! He told me to hold my cue loosely. I didn't listen. I still couldn't jump. He left town. One day I started to try anything and everything. I held my cue loosely and followed through and SOARED over the blocking ball :p . THANKS STEVE...Tom

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
I was wondering how you guys usually grip your jump cue. Loose or tight due to the elevated position

Thats a great question, and I think I have the answer to it. When you jump you use the same stroke you would use when you are shooting over a ball of when using a draw shot near the rail the only difference is the angle of approach. Anytime you over grip or tightly grip any cue you tend to steer the cue ball and take the intended action away from the hit. A loose grip that is sligthly tightened upon contact and a fluid firm stroke with the necessary follow through is all you need.

Take Care

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
loose. does anyone on here hold it like theyre throwin a dart. Ive seen 1 guy do it that way and it looked funny. Wondering if it works.

jimmyB

Registered
jumping balls

Sometimes I squeeze it more if im going to be hitting hit hard. So I would say a finesse shot more loosely so that the stick does all the work and not your muscles.. if you need to fly 5 feet over a ball then tighten up.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Loose wrist , fingertip grip , dart stroke.

Allows me a very easy , simple jump stroke where I can aim using the cue for alignment and deliver a dead straight stroke thru the ball.

Went to it after a shoulder surgery , felt funny a little at first but now I can't imagine any other way it's so simple and easy to jump accurately.

Only time I may use a 'typical' stroke anymore is if jumping with my playing cue or going for a real long distance jump.

IMO.

:)

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
I was wondering how you guys usually grip your jump cue. Loose or tight due to the elevated position
You should hold it loose. I recommend using a traditional stroke for accuracy and also so you don't have to learn the mechanics of another stroke. Personally, I do not advocate or instruct the use of the dart stroke for the vast majority of jump shots.

The dart stroke is a technique that has very limited practical use versus a traditional stroking jump shot. The lion's share of jump shots can be made using a traditional stroke [with perhaps a bit of sidearm if you are short like me]. Virtually all half-ball jumps, and full ball jumps more than 2 balls away can be executed using a normal (i.e., non-dart) stroke. The dart is only practical when you are very close to the OB (1 ball or less), and as a trick shot to impress your friends. IMO, the dart stroke should be thought of as a super-specialty shot like a full masse and should only be used when all other options are exhausted.

Lastly, it is not possible to translate the dart jump to a traditional full cue jump shot - which may be required in certain tournaments, or which may be more practical since you are not jumping a full ball. In particular, I have never seen anyone execute a table length draw shot with a dart stroke, but I've seen many people do so with a "regular" stroke.

In any event, what ever stroke you choose to use, be sure to grip the cue lightly.

-td

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
td873 said:
The lion's share of jump shots can be made using a traditional stroke [with perhaps a bit of sidearm if you are short like me]. . . .

-td

Exactly the problem with 'traditional' for most people. Most people have to get in some wierd jacked up and out of aligned position with their back hand. Not to mention losing line of sight aim. Hardly good for consistancy and accuracy IMO. None of that is an issue with a dart stroke , it's just super simple.

;)

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess everyone concurs with loose.

Using the pendulum or "traditional" stroke, if you need a lot of elevation, you usually have to bend your bridge elbow and get your head closer to the cue ball in order to allow for the follow through. I like to envision the point on the cloth where I want the cue to end up in order to get a straight and accurate shot.

I have problems with the dart stroke, mostly putting unintended english on the cue ball. It's definitely something you have to practice as it's entirely different muscle memory than the regular shots. It's really only useful in regular games if the cue ball is out of reach and you really need to jump.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
Exactly the problem with 'traditional' for most people. Most people have to get in some wierd jacked up and out of aligned position with their back hand...
I respectfully disagree. Even at my height, you shouldn't have to do anything weird to shoot most jump shots with a normal stroke. For those people that have to get out of position, it sounds like they haven't been properly instructed on how to shoot the shot. You don't have to be 50 degrees up. Just a little angle will work for most shots. Actually, it's just like shooting over a blocking ball - you don't need to be elevated to the point of looking ridiculous. [And I have NEVER seen anyone shooting a dart stroke when they are shooting over a ball.] The traditional jump is virtually the same movement as bridging over a ball.

On a practical note, the dart requires you to be standing upright to execute - since you are pivoting at your elbow which is locked to your side, with your hand up by your head. Thus, it is practically useless for long distance jumps. It requires you to drop your arm into an unnatural position to get the ball to travel far enough - i.e., you need a shallow angle for long jumps. Further, the dart is a terrible choice for 1/2 ball jumps when the object ball is more than a foot away. Again, you need a shallow angle that can't be achieved standing upright. I guess you could bend down, but this is exactly the situation you suggested - having to get out of position for the shot. [Heck, I'd like to see someone dart in a ball 5 feet (1/2 a table) away draw 2 feet - or even easier, just stop.]

I don't believe having to learn a completely different mechanical movement for a seldom used shot is worthwhile. I do; howver, believe knowing how to dart is useful if (1) you are a beginner/intermediate and you just want to make a cue ball jump; (2) you just want to HIT the object ball - or if it is a pocket-hanger; or (3) you are really close to the OB and a traditional jump won't work. But on a competitive level, you need more than just hitting the ball.

In sum, the dart should have a severely limited role in the typical pool game. Relying on it for most jump shots is not a good idea.

-td

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
TXsouthpaw said:
loose. does anyone on here hold it like theyre throwin a dart. Ive seen 1 guy do it that way and it looked funny. Wondering if it works.
I used to be pretty accurate jumping balls, but I got tendonitis in my shoulder and I didn't jump for a while and one day I decided to try the dart method. There's no stress on my shoulder jumping with the dart method and I can make balls, but i'm not as accurate with the dart method. I use it a lot to make hits on balls after my opponent plays a good safety and I don't have a kick I can make.

James

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I jumped the first time I tried it,I used the same stroke I use when I masse a ball,I stroke it loose and fluid with a nice follow through. :smile:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional Jumping Advice !

bigskyjake said:
thanks for all the replies guys

One more BSJ. Us old guys aren't too big on jumping but I do have a tip for you. Exagerate the elevation of your cue, and hit your opponent squarely in the nuts with the cue ball, (or his girl friend between the eyes.) This will amost certainly get the cash. ;)

Dick

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
One more BSJ. Us old guys aren't too big on jumping but I do have a tip for you. Exagerate the elevation of your cue, and hit your opponent squarely in the nuts with the cue ball, (or his girl friend between the eyes.) This will amost certainly get the cash. ;)

Dick

Big Sky Jake, did you miss the old pro's advice in the previous post? :cool:

Dick

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Big Sky Jake, did you miss the old pro's advice in the previous post? :cool:

Dick

Oh no, I'll bust it out next time I got some cash on the line and need to secure absolute victory