John Hager Sr a true master of the Hustle

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forget who it was but some gambler wannabe

just got startedand he had been feeding on some inexperienced players

MO modus operandi..he would get people to start playing cheap and win and jack the bet until he won the money,never risked anything of his own

He would hold court among the pundits and explain the success of his gambling explaining that he never risked any real money because if he didn't win right away he would quit and live to play another day

But this day he confronted John
,he asked wanna play some one hole?

to which John calmly replied 'what kind of money are we talking about playing for if we do play?'

You see John is qualifying the prospect

The guy replied oh say $100 a game
""
John now backs off while quietly shaming the guy,no thank you I don't want to risk my $5000 i have here trying to win a $100'

The brushoff, not chasing but enticing with the money while fanning the flames of desire with with the cool breeze of withdrawal

The Bully type just can not keep from bulling on,he begins to chase

Our friend the neophyte now tries to recover and pulls out his $5000 bank roll, the product of 100 small victories and says "I got money too, I gamble you know"
pushing

John cntinues to shame the fellow in front of the crowd by saying

"oh I know you have money,I didn't mean that,it's just that I bet mine and you just flash yours"

Oh yeah..or its equivalent

"you also only play with the nuts and we both know you could beat me even iif
you weren't so tight and timid"

Oh yeah,well I will play even

For the $5000
yeah,for the whole thing

This is john Hager Sr,Jack Cooney's partner

One of the most dangerous men to your pocket book I ever saw

Let me know if you guys like these hustler stories,they are all I have,I never played league, or took lessons but I did engage in some games and spend time admiring

games like most only see in the movie. People tell me they are fun

Some may find them instructive, some people think big scores just fall in your lap
without planning and foresight,but that's not what I have seen.

what did Doyle Brunson say in the poker book? 'look around the table and if you can not identify the
easy mark,then chances are it's you"...loose quote

I hate tha feeling when I realize it's me,but it happens

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member

MO modus operandi..he would get people to start playing cheap and win and jack the bet until he won the money,never risked anything of his own

He would hold court among the pundits and explain the success of his gambling explaining that he never risked any real money because if he didn't win right away he would quit and live to play another day

to which John calmly replied 'what kind of money are we talking about playing for if we do play?'

""
John now backs off while quietly shaming the guy,no thank you I don't want to risk my $5000 i have here trying to win a $100'

The brushoff, not chasing but enticing with the money while fanning the flames of desire with with the cool breeze of withdrawal

Our friend the neophyte now tries to recover and pulls out his $5000 bank roll, the product of 100 small victories and says "I got money too, I gamble you know"
pushing

"oh I know you have money,I didn't mean that,it's just that I bet mine and you just flash yours"

For the $5000
yeah,for the whole thing

Let me know if you guys like these hustler stories,they are all I have,I never played league, or took lessons but I did engage in some games and spend time admiring

Some may find them instructive, some people think big scores just fall in your lap

what did Doyle Brunson say in the poker book? 'look around the table and if you can not identify the

So at the end of the story John only had $10,000 to flash around :) I love it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

""

pushing

For the $5000
yeah,for the whole thing

Like father, like son. John Hager Jr. was a pretty feared gambler himself. Probably still is.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think JohnJr is a really nice guy

plays better than his dad,but not so dangerous

the kid is a really nice kid,pleasantsrtraight forward

in the wrong business,i don't even know if he plays any more

of course not getting out I would not know

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think JohnJr is a really nice guy

plays better than his dad,but not so dangerous

the kid is a really nice kid,pleasantsrtraight forward

in the wrong business,i don't even know if he plays any more

of course not getting out I would not know

You're probably right Dean. Jr. would probably have played the guy for 100 a game and won three or four hundred and not 5K. :wink:
That said, I've seen Jr. bet it up pretty good. A large wager never fazed him either.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my memory serves me right...One of the first pool streams I ever bought was John Hager Jr vs Scott Frost.....I think on that legendary gaffed table in Conyers Georgia.

This would have been 2008-2009 ish. Hager Jr got the cash....he might have been getting a small spot...but I cant remember the details.

He was fearless...played great on a brutal table.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also remember a thread about his mom...apparently she played for high stakes in her day.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was right after Scott was killing Dippy Dave. Frost went on a mini tour with Dippys money. Scott give Jr. 10-6 and jr was stealing. Atlanta boys won like 25k. Jr took his 5k to Oklahoma and got roasted by Chip. Scott played sylver in Houston after jr.

Last edited:

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also remember a thread about his mom...apparently she played for high stakes in her day.

I beat her out of a couple hundred in Waco. She got the 7 and couldn't play a lick. Maybe she had a gear, but I didn't see it. Around 97', she had a backer though.

Last edited:

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like father, like son. John Hager Jr. was a pretty feared gambler himself. Probably still is.

John Hager Jr. is still playing pretty well, he just took off one of San Antonio's best players two days ago for 2k. A few years ago, I think it was in the Derby action room that Jr. was playing Dippy and Jr. wanted to play for some big amount and Dippy said to post. Jr. said he would put up a house and Dippy said something like, "what, are you trying to ruin my life, get a house and settle down or something."

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Jr has a lot of heart and a lot of gamble

People play him because they know he is beatable,he bets high and often and plays games
that are tough. He is not one to wait for the nuts.

his well known wealthy stake horse left Jr a huge amount of money and property in his will.

Otis loved John like a son and to his credit John was there for Otis at the end.

Some cynical folk might say it was mercenary,but that is not this kids nature,
I haven't seen him and didn't know him very well ,but people around here were pleased with his loyalty to Otis.

Now john is independently wealthy and no longer needs to grind. I hope he does well in and away from pool

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Some folks only play with the nuts, usually the same folks who talk about betting big but in reality wouldn’t buy a $1 scratch off. Kinda like the folks who hang around pool rooms and pencil themselves into stories they’ve heard about from real players.

~ Moral of the story...some folks ought to just play with their own nuts like the rest of the squirrels

John Jr came thru my town about 20 years ago, helluva character and player...