Eyeglasses for shooting pool

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Randy9Ball said:
Dan,

You say the optician located the center focus high up for pool. By that do you mean your personal optician or someone at Decot? The online form at Decot's website doesn't appear to have anything for center focus on it. Do I have my eye doctor figure that out and relay that to Decot?

Thanks,

Randy

Yes. My doc had me bend down at a counter and get into a shooting position so he could see where on the lens I looked and moved the center of the lens towards the top.

You'll probably have to mention that's what you want to have done. Unless your eye doc is familiar with this situation he/she most likely won't think to move the center towards the top of the lens. If you play iin an upright position maybe the center stays where it normally is? I don't know much about it... just that it was necessary to raise the center for me as I play with my chin on the cue and look out the top of the glasses.

The DeCot's also have an adjustable nose piece so you can raise or lower the position of the glasses on your head. Using this feature I raise the glasses up until the bottom of the lens is just barely below the bottom of my eye and then the top is well above my eyebrows. I don't see any of the frame when I shoot even when I look up with my head very low.

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are serious about your game, i strongly reccomend contacs. The balls look big as softballs!

third_i

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, with contacts the clearity is unparalleled. Since I started using contacts I just can't stand using glasses.

But if it's good enough for fast Eddie... ;)
5b876250.jpg

JimS

Silver Member
Some eye conditions preclude the possibility of using contacts and in those cases the DeCot Hy-Wyde's a great.

JimS

Silver Member
bnall said:
These glasses looks a little more stylish then the other ones.

http://www.sportsvisions.com/svbillia.htm#svbilliards

Yes they do but they are not adjustable for height. The DeCots are adjustable so you can have the lens way above you eyebrows and consequently be able to have your chin on the cue, look out of the top of your eyes without moving your head and be able to see the shot line without seeing the top of the lens or the frame. Wonderful!

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
third_i said:
Seriously, with contacts the clearity is unparalleled. Since I started using contacts I just can't stand using glasses.

But if it's good enough for fast Eddie... ;)
5b876250.jpg

I'm curious, do you put them in each time you play? Or do you wear them all the time? Not quite sure how you would use contacts for everyday and pool at the same time.

My glasses are only good for pool table distances, they can't be worn all the time.

third_i

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear contacts all the time, not something billiard specific. Concats just overall give you clearer vision than glasses can. And no nose scrunching!!!

jerrycreek

Registered
hey....i got a pair of those too! gordon harrison is just great to work with. the glasses are made just for shooting pool! the man went all out for me. he will speak with you and work with you personally. gordons phone number is 1-450-465-3058. thanks, jerry creek

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another good optical guy - http://www.morganoptical.net/pageDisplay.jsp?pageid=7627

I wear these glasses for shoting sporting clays. The targets are clay disks and are thrown from a machine. They are thrown high as well as low. The lenses are much larger than normal and you can see threw them at an angle. They also have an adjustable nose bridge so you can raise them even higher or lower them.

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine had glasses that were made for skeet shooting. They had big lenses and an adjustable nose piece that allowed him to raise and lower the glasses on his nose. He loved them.

johnhunt3055

So I went to the optometrist for my eyeglasses problem the other day and had my prescription eyeglasses updated for the first time in five years (it's barely changed at all). Now I'm left with the prospect of deciding which eyeglasses I should get to replace my old, beat up ones. I'm not sure what the best way to get them is (e.g. ordering online or in a brick and mortar store) or what the best way to get a good deal would be. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

eyeglasses

Pangit

Banned
If you can use contacts, get them. The vision is more clear, no distracting glares(sometimes they just catch the light weird) and there are no out of focus spots.
There was some Indian/Malaysian/Indonesian guy, His country of origin escapes me??? Forgive me in advance. Playing in the Guinness Asian 9 ball tour, as it was called then...about 2008, give or take a year. Anyway, he had these huge eyeglasses, young guy, sort of "pudgy" He was ripping it up against Chang Jung-lin, Ricky Yang, etc... not to mention the best the PI had to offer that wasn't sponsored by San Miguel.
As I recall, Robert Guerrero, Mike Sexton, all the rest of the rest of the commentators mentioned how his glasses looked like they were on upside down. You gotta do what ya gotta do.
Not Ibrahim Bin Amir. I wish I could remember his name. He kicked ass that one year. And now seems to have completely vanished from Pro pool?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=33552

My solution is the 7th post.

If you do have a custom pair made, go to your optician and bring your poolstick. Get in your stance on one of their tables, and look at targets that represent the cue ball and object ball, also on the table. (bring along a cue and object ball if you can) Have your optician mark on a set of lenses where you eye is looking through, so he can put the focal center of the lens there.

I'm young, and don't need bifocals, so this might not be entirely applicable to you if you do need them.

My solution is the 11th post. The one component none of them have is the tilt I have incorporated into my temples, which allows you to view the shot, while looking 90 degrees thru lens. Anything other than straight through lens can cause an aberration.

If you want to know what an aberration looks like, twist your lens side to side or tilt them up & down, you will see the image distort.

Good Luck